Does finite sin deserve infinite punishment?

BeHereNow

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 03:21 am
@neologist,
Quote:
neologist: What offer?
RE : "If you need an explanation of that……"

Sounds like an offer to me.
If I need an explanation, I do not need it from the ignorant.
BeHereNow

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 03:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Frank Apisa: What consistency does there have to be on the question?

My question was “would you say that god feels equally about practitioners of (all of) these abominations?”

I can not remember the last time (first time) I heard a Christian speak against “flying creeping things, which have four feet”, or “fowls that creep, going upon all four”, or even “Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters”.

I have Christians friends who do not like certain sexual preferences, but seem to enjoy shrimp and lobster.
I wonder if they are “in essence leaning on (their) own understanding”, or if they know the mind of god.

Smileyrius Advises us to look for spiritual harmony, and I agree.
http://able2know.org/topic/231656-3#post-5558342
I am wondering if we see the same spiritual harmony (consistency) concerning shellfish and sexual preferences.

It would be helpful to me to know the mind of god, and Smileyrius seems to have that insight.
And so my question.
informateur

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:06 am
@BeHereNow,
Quote:
Sounds like an offer to me.

You're ignorant as well BHN. Careful with the name calling.

No matter how hypocritical we all may be. Could be a moment where you'll regret doing so. being hypocritical.

You don't want to experience anger do you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:54 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Jesus worshiped the god of the Old Testament...called the god "his father."
Perhaps he saw something which has escaped you, Frank.

I'll bet he did.

Apparently you and Romeo do also.

You ought to share it with the rest of us...instead of trying to hide the relationship...and pretend it is not there.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:59 am
@BeHereNow,
BeHereNow wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa: What consistency does there have to be on the question?

My question was “would you say that god feels equally about practitioners of (all of) these abominations?”

I can not remember the last time (first time) I heard a Christian speak against “flying creeping things, which have four feet”, or “fowls that creep, going upon all four”, or even “Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters”.

I have Christians friends who do not like certain sexual preferences, but seem to enjoy shrimp and lobster.
I wonder if they are “in essence leaning on (their) own understanding”, or if they know the mind of god.

Smileyrius Advises us to look for spiritual harmony, and I agree.
http://able2know.org/topic/231656-3#post-5558342
I am wondering if we see the same spiritual harmony (consistency) concerning shellfish and sexual preferences.

It would be helpful to me to know the mind of god, and Smileyrius seems to have that insight.
And so my question.

One...I am not a Christian...nor a thiest.

Two...I think the best guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a mythology with an early, self-serving history of the ancient Hebrews interspersed.

Three...all of those prohibitions seem to be more the result of what these ancient people thought...than any god.

Now people think differently...and while some of the things mentioned obviously are no longer worth their attention...some are.

I reject all of them as the product of the stuff which might please or offend a god.

If you do...fine...we are shoulder to shoulder.

If not...I am wondering what your point is.
0 Replies

informateur

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 07:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Romeo Fabulini. Is a figment of our imagination.
He is not real. He is made up. by someone. Someone's cover up?
[Might] be an alien.

He is no one to worry about. Honest.

To talk to/to argue with him, Romeo Fabulini is the same as talking and/or arguing with a wall.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 07:09 am
Quote:
Mikeymojo said: if God exists God is nothing like what the Bible portrays God to be

I like God, don't you? What don't you like about him?
He's going to send Jesus back to collect everybody who likes him and whisk them off to Paradise, don't you want to come?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 07:17 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: I think the best guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a mythology with an early, self-serving history of the ancient Hebrews interspersed.

But why would anybody want to "invent" christianity? It can't have been to make money or to get power, because christianity forbids that!
"Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit...be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (2 Cor 2:17,1 Peter 5:2-3)

So what was their motive for starting christianity? It's a question atheists can't answer..Smile
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 07:25 am
Quote:
Informateur said: To talk to/to argue with him, Romeo Fabulini is the same as talking and/or arguing with a wall

i never argue mate, I simple make statements and back them up with full metal jacketted bible verses..Smile
That's why atheists and agnostics are easy meat for me, they just spout their personal guesses and hunches with no back up at all because the Atheist/Agnostic bible is just a book of blank pages..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ath-bib.gif~original
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 07:26 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: I think the best guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a mythology with an early, self-serving history of the ancient Hebrews interspersed.

But why would anybody want to "invent" christianity?

There are people like you around, Romeo...who do things for which there is no explanation. Maybe Christianity is the result of such aimless silliness.

Quote:
It can't have been to make money or to get power, because christianity forbids that!

C'mon!

Quote:
"Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit...be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (2 Cor 2:17,1 Peter 5:2-3)

Yup. We have politicians who say that sort of thing now also. Do you accept their words to that effect?

Quote:

So what was their motive for starting christianity? It's a question atheists can't answer..Smile

Well, I cannot speak for the atheists, but I can certainly answer it.

I do not know....but obviously someone (or several someone's) had a motive.

The real answer to your question is: "I do not know what the motive is"...not "the only motive has to be that it is the truth and that some god wanted it to be!"

When you finally learn that, Romeo, you may finally start making some sense.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 07:35 am
Quote:
Romeo asked: So what was their motive for starting christianity? It's a question atheists can't answer..
Frank Apisa replied:
I cannot speak for the atheists, but I can certainly answer it.
I do not know..

You said earlier christianity was started by "self-serving" people, but now you're backtracking and admitting you "do not know" why it was started.
Make up your mind mate..Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 07:54 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Romeo asked: So what was their motive for starting christianity? It's a question atheists can't answer..
Frank Apisa replied:
I cannot speak for the atheists, but I can certainly answer it.
I do not know..

You said earlier christianity was started by "self-serving" people, but now you're backtracking and admitting you "do not know" why it was started.
Make up your mind mate..Wink

Show me where I ever said that Christianity was started by "self-serving" people, Romeo.

I have NEVER said any such thing. You dreamed that up...or you simply do not know how to read with comprehension.

Wink Wink Wink
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 08:37 am
@BeHereNow,
BeHereNow wrote:
Ahh! I see. Enjoy your thoughts, such as they are.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 08:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
I have shared many times, old friend. But you find my menu not to your liking.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:30 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa pouted: Show me where I ever said that Christianity was started by "self-serving" people, Romeo.
I have NEVER said any such thing. You dreamed that up...or you simply do not know how to read with comprehension.

Here's the relevant line from your post mate-
"I think the best guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a mythology with an early, self-serving history of the ancient Hebrews interspersed" (Frank Apisa Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:59 am)

It seems clear enough to me, although it does contain elements of philo-babble, so if anybody's misunderstood it, it's your fault not ours.
Remember, Jesus said -"Every careless word you speak will be judged (Matt 12:36)
so we can't afford to be sloppy with what we say..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Westworld2_zps486fe26e.jpg~original
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:50 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I have shared many times, old friend. But you find my menu not to your liking.

Well...if what you shared indicates that (according to the Bible) Jesus did NOT worship that god...you are wrong.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:52 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa pouted: Show me where I ever said that Christianity was started by "self-serving" people, Romeo.

Here's the relevant line from your post mate-
"I think the best guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a mythology with an early, self-serving history of the ancient Hebrews interspersed" (Frank Apisa Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:59 am)

It seems clear enough to me, although it does contain elements of philo-babble, so if anybody's misunderstood it, it's your fault not ours.
Remember, Jesus said -"Every careless word you speak will be judged (Matt 12:36)
so we can't afford to be sloppy with what we say..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Westworld2_zps486fe26e.jpg~original

Learn to read, Romeo.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATION in what I said...and what you quoted...to indicate that I think Christianity was started by self-serving me. I was talking about the Bible...not about Christianity at all.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:13 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Learn to read, Romeo.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATION in what I said...and what you quoted...to indicate that I think Christianity was started by self-serving men.
I was talking about the Bible...not about Christianity at all.

Aha, so you're saying Christianity was NOT invented by "self-serving men".
Good for you mate, your spiritual insight's coming on in leaps and bounds..Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:23 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Learn to read, Romeo.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATION in what I said...and what you quoted...to indicate that I think Christianity was started by self-serving men.
I was talking about the Bible...not about Christianity at all.

Aha, so you're saying Christianity was NOT invented by "self-serving men".
Good for you mate, your spiritual insight's coming on in leaps and bounds..Smile

I said earlier that I do not know what motivated the people involved in the creation of Christianity.

You do remember that, don't yoiu?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 01:58 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: @RF- I said earlier that I do not know what motivated the people involved in the creation of Christianity..

Well, as I've already pointed out, Christianity bans the making of money from it, and it bans lording it over people-

so we'd be interested in hearing what exactly you (or any other nonchristians) think it was that triggered the beginning of Christianity?
I know it's a hard question to answer but at least place the ball on the tee and take a swing at it..Smile