Does finite sin deserve infinite punishment?

neologist

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 11:45 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
.. . .Yes on second thoughts I didn't want to unfairly single out the Jehovah's Witnesses for having 950 million bucks (Wiki's figure) in the bank in 2001, so I deleted it.
Fact is, most organised religions and cults are sitting on big bucks.
That may be true; but we don't take collections and give all our literature free. Somehow, there always seems to be enough money.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:07 pm
Quote:
Neologist said re JW cash: Somehow, there always seems to be enough money

Hey here's a thought- JW's won't fight in wars, so maybe anti-American elements (commies, muslims etc) are secretly donating to JW coffers to make JW-ism grow, in the hope that when they invade America in years to come every American will be a JW and won't oppose them..Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:09 pm
Often there are "explanations" offered for things that truly are not explanations...but just ways of justifying some disturbing truth that has come to light.

Usually those kinds of "explanations" are offered by theists who simply have to defend elements of their religion...no matter how absurd or contradictory those elements are.

That is what is happening here with the ALLEGORY of the fall of man.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:16 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Neologist wrote:
Somehow, there always seems to be enough money
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Hey here's a thought- JW's won't fight in wars, so maybe anti-American elements (commies, muslims etc) are secretly donating to JW coffers to make JW-ism grow, in the hope that when they invade America in years to come every American will be a JW and won't oppose them..Wink
Except there are congregations in over 200 countries and our literature is available in over 300 languages. But, yes, we do appear defenseless, kind of like David facing Goliath, in a way.
0 Replies

mikeymojo

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 05:40 pm
@Smileyrius,
I never claimed Sheol was a literal place. Read: or a sleep like state that is awakened when Bible God decides to remake creation. A state of being isn't a place, death included. Yet somehow, according to Neo and the Bible, Sheol is cast into the lake of brimstone and fire (second death) by Bible God. So death itself then dies? What are you people smoking? The state of being already dead dies again? That's super scientific and logical alright. I hated it when my dead dog died on me again. Brought me to tears. Oh yeah that's right, Bible God awakens the dead, because that's logical. How about when something dies it stays dead forever THE FIRST TIME. But I guess that's illogical to Christians because their book says so. Oh yeah, I forgot the Bible can predict the future as it will be. How stupid of me to not believe in what a book says will happen to me after I die
Calamity Dal

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 05:44 pm
@mikeymojo,
your logic is both astounding and inspiring at the same time. With arguments like that I still cant work out how religious people are able to sustain their faith.

Keep plugging away Mikey
Calamity Dal

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 05:45 pm
@neologist,
shhh, I am trying to encourage the youth of today
mikeymojo

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 06:06 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Calamity Dal wrote:

your logic is both astounding and inspiring at the same time. With arguments like that I still cant work out how religious people are able to sustain their faith.

Keep plugging away Mikey

Thanks Dal, I can't figure it out either. Maybe they can't handle the thought of not still existing after they die. But I guess I can't blame them, only knowing of being alive is quite addictive.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:11 pm
@mikeymojo,
It is not and never was God's purpose for man to die. If we believe God's purpose cannot be derailed (Isaiah 45:18), then it is reassuring to know that God promises that those "sleeping in the memorial tombs" (sheol) will be resurrected.(John 5:28) Then, once the earth has been restored at the end of the time allotted in the book of Revelation, it is comforting to know that even death and Hades (sheol) will be destroyed.

neologist

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:21 pm
@Calamity Dal,
It shall be interesting to see if you succeed.
0 Replies

mikeymojo

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:50 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

It is not and never was God's purpose for man to die. If we believe God's purpose cannot be derailed (Isaiah 45:18), then it is reassuring to know that God promises that those "sleeping in the memorial tombs" (sheol) will be resurrected.(John 5:28) Then, once the earth has been restored at the end of the time allotted in the book of Revelation, it is comforting to know that even death and Hades (sheol) will be destroyed.

It's reassuring because that's what people WANT. They want to keep being the same person after they die. It's a side effect of being alive in the first place, we want a part of us to keep living because we all know what happens when we see someone else die. They cease to be as they were known, not alive like they were before. It scares people due to the fact that all we've ever known is what it's like to be alive. Most people can't imagine not being alive and I'm sure early Man couldn't either.
neologist

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 11:06 pm
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:
It's reassuring because that's what people WANT. They want to keep being the same person after they die. It's a side effect of being alive in the first place, we want a part of us to keep living because we all know what happens when we see someone else die. They cease to be as they were known, not alive like they were before. It scares people due to the fact that all we've ever known is what it's like to be alive. Most people can't imagine not being alive and I'm sure early Man couldn't either.
But of course. God put the concept of indefinite time into our thinking from the beginning. No sane person, IMHO, wants to end his or her life. This argument says nothing about the verity of God's purpose.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 05:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Neologist wrote:
Every once in a while you make a legitimate point
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Yes it's inevitable that once in a while one of your cockamamie Jehovah's Witness beliefs accidentally coincides with mainstream Christianity..
But you have said you eschew mainstream christianity.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 06:06 pm
Mainstream Christianity on the whole generally sticks with Jesus and as long as they don't deviate from him they won't feel my fist..Smile
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 06:09 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
so say the priests and ministers who ostensibly make up the rules you believe in and follow like the lambs you are.
neologist

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 06:11 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Mainstream Christianity on the whole generally sticks with Jesus and as long as they don't deviate from him they won't feel my fist..
Most mainstream christians are trinitarians. Do you not think this is a dishonor to both God and Jesus?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 06:12 pm
@farmerman,
But Romeo dos not adhere to any group. He does not want to be told what to believe.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 08:33 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Mainstream Christianity on the whole generally sticks with Jesus and as long as they don't deviate from him they won't feel my fist.
Farmerman said: so say the priests and ministers who ostensibly make up the rules you believe in and follow like the lambs you are.
Neologist said: But Romeo dos not adhere to any group. He does not want to be told what to believe.

I don't give a rat's ass what priests and ministers say, and neither should anybody else..Smile
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
"You died with Christ from this world, so don't keep submitting to its rules" (Col 2:20)
"Work out your own salvation" (Philip 2:12 KJV)

Jesus wants people who aren't afraid to think for themselves and go against the grain..Smile

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1493/ebkq.jpg
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:43 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Mainstream Christianity on the whole generally sticks with Jesus and as long as they don't deviate from him they won't feel my fist...
And, from the Atheism thread:
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
It's absolutely fine for people to have no religion as long as they LIKE JESUS!
By simply liking him, they're making the vital bond/connection/mindmeld with him, and that's all that matters.
For example I don't belong to any church or religion, so in that sense I have no religion, but I LIKE JESUS and that's all he wants from any of us and it beats me why atheists don't like him!
What about these folks, Romeo?
Quote:
Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’ (Matthew 7: 22,23)
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 01:23 pm
@neologist,
You got it mate, religionists can go to church and pray and get baptised and all that stuff, but Jesus said it'll cut no ice at all if they haven't truly bonded with him..Smile
"Not all who call me "Lord,Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven. Then I'll tell them plainly, I never knew you, get away from me" (Matt 7:21-23)
0 Replies