Does finite sin deserve infinite punishment?

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:28 pm
Quote:
Smileyrius said: @RF- The second you dismiss a single scripture you are in essence leaning on your own understanding. When in a fix, proverbs 3: 5,6

But for example one scripture says "kill gays and witches", but Jesus said "Don't kill anybody".
My understanding is that we should therefore dismiss the first one, or am I wrong?
anonymously99

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:49 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Think I'm confused again. with the whole conversation.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:50 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Fabulini. We all know your secret. It's okay.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:57 pm
@anonymously99,
Quote:
Anonymously profile excerpt: arguing or talking about whether god exists and whatever the hell else there is to bicker about makes no sense to me.

Good for you mate, let's talk about something important for a change..Smile
For example what are your hobbies and interests and opinions on all sorts of stuff like Ben Bailey being cruel by kicking people out of the Cash Cab without a penny after getting 3 strikes?
Shouldn't he at least let them walk with half the money they've won up til then?
BeHereNow

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 01:15 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Romeo Fabulini: Anyway nowhere does the Bible say suicide is a sin, but I don't think God would like us to do it without very very good reason!]
In some churches sins are very specific things, they are listed, and suicide is listed, so it is a sin, end of story.

There are many points of church doctrine that “are not in the Bible”, does not meant they are not doctrine.

No Trinity, has to be inferred.
But the Trinity is church doctrine in over 90% (as a guess) of the churches, and over half absolutely.
That is churches, not believers. Believers who accept the Trinity are probably in the 99% range.

That comes from the Apostle’s creed.
At one time it was a “test” for new Christians.
Many modern Anabaptists have an injunction against reciting creeds such as this, do not consider them of significance.
Even though they do not use these during church service like other churches, they do for the most part agree with all the points.

I think there are several points in them that are considered ”Biblical”, but you can not go to this verse of this book and see it. It is inferred.
Many churches teach as a Biblical Truth, that the body is god’s temple, so no booze, no caffeine, no tobacco. You can not point to any book or verse where it says this, but it is a Biblical teaching.

So it is with suicide.
You say you can’t find it, they say it is in there.

Manifest Destiny had Biblical justification, but you can not point to the book or verse that contains it. The Puritans found it, and massacred native American women and children (Pequot nation), for the glory of god, and the white man’s Manifest Destiny.

Lots of things can be found in the bible, that others do not see.

In the cre4eds below, the word "catholic" refers not to the Roman Catholic Church, but to the universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ.
A I recall JWs have some problems with some points. Maybe the Resident JW will point out if there is disagreement.
I would be interesting in hearing - but not responding.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.
Amen.
There is also the Nicene Creed:
The Nicene Creed
We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made; who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, and the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead, whose kingdom shall have no end.
And we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, who proceedeth from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets. And we believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 01:21 pm
Quote:
BeHereNow said: @RF- In some churches sins are very specific things, they are listed, and suicide is listed, so it is a sin, end of story

I don't give a rat's ass what churches say mate, end of story..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/way-madmaxRomeo_zps01ae368c.gif~original

0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 01:27 pm
@BeHereNow,
Be careful bhn. Romeo is having his [moments].
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 01:30 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
Given the choice between scriptural harmony and interpretations that rely on scriptural cherry picking, I am afraid I will settle for the former my friend.

The second you dismiss a single scripture you are in essence leaning on your own understanding. When in a fix, proverbs 3: 5,6

There is a bigger problem with that. As soon as one dismisses any passage of scripture, the entire idea of divinely-inspired scriptural infallibility goes right out the window. If any of it is not infallible, all of it is subject to reasonable, skeptical questioning.
anonymously99

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 01:34 pm
@Setanta,
Everyone has questions. You act as if that's a new thing. setanta.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 01:48 pm
@Setanta,
Smileyrius wrote:
Given the choice between scriptural harmony and interpretations that rely on scriptural cherry picking, I am afraid I will settle for the former my friend.

The second you dismiss a single scripture you are in essence leaning on your own understanding. When in a fix, proverbs 3: 5,6
Setanta wrote:
There is a bigger problem with that. As soon as one dismisses any passage of scripture, the entire idea of divinely-inspired scriptural infallibility goes right out the window. If any of it is not infallible, all of it is subject to reasonable, skeptical questioning.
Thank you for explaining this to Romeo, Set.
anonymously99

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 01:51 pm
@neologist,
Neo has a problem with forgetting the unnecessary.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 02:07 pm
@BeHereNow,
You have posted a vast array of straw men which cannot be defended with scripture.
1] Trinity
2] Creeds, or recitation of prayers
3] Manifest Destiny (also the Monroe Doctrine)
4] The type of slavery formerly practiced in the US. (I just threw this in for Frank's sake.)
5] Body is God's Temple. Major scripture I can think of for not smoking or abusing drugs is 2 Corinthians 7:1 which reads, in part: let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh
6] Suicide. For what its worth, suicide represents an abandonment of faith. Perhaps it may be forgiven, as some people suffer from severe mental anguish. For it is written,
Quote:
(Romans 6:7) . . .For he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin. . .
But that is not a guarantee of resurrection, only against fear of infinite punishment.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 03:35 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

(Luke 22:52) ...and Jesus laughed.

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 04:19 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:
Quote:
(Luke 22:52) ...and Jesus laughed.
Uh. That does not appear at Luke 22:52 in my Bible or any other Bible I can find
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:28 pm
Quote:
Smileyrius said: The second you dismiss a single scripture you are in essence leaning on your own understanding.
Setanta said: As soon as one dismisses any passage of scripture, the entire idea of divinely-inspired scriptural infallibility goes right out the window.
Neologist said: Thank you for explaining this to Romeo

Of course I dismiss stuff like "kill witches and gays; you can own slaves and you can do eye for eye" etc.
Don't you 3 stooges dismiss it too?
Learn- "The covenant of Jesus is superior to the old one" (Heb 8:6)
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:42 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Jesus fulfilled and terminated the law. But he did not remove or contradict the law itself

I know, he fully supported the 10 Commandments to the hilt, but gave us free will to choose to follow all the other laws or not, call it a test.
Personally I don't want to own slaves, kill gays and witches and do all the other nasty stuff that some of the OT allows, so i like to think i pass the test..Smile
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:48 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: I don't think Romeo likes me all that much

I like everybody mate, it's just their oddball cultish notions that I like poking fun at ..Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 06:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Of course I dismiss stuff like "kill witches and gays; you can own slaves and you can do eye for eye" etc.
Don't you 3 stooges dismiss it too?
Learn- "The covenant of Jesus is superior to the old one" (Heb 8:6)
We are no longer under such obligation. But we still do not associate with those who practice homosexuality, fraud, fornication, or spiritism (BTW, the Greek word for spiritism is pharmakia, does that sound familiar?) We don't own slaves; but we are fair to our employes and, if we are employed, we give our employer an honest days work. We don't poke out eyes; but we do honor the idea that a person wronged should be compensated.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 06:45 pm
Quote:
Neologist pointed out: (BTW, the Greek word for spiritism is pharmakia, does that sound familiar?)

Well let's see:- A pharmacy is a place to get medicines (we call them chemists in Britain)
Gospel-writer Luke was a doctor.
Am I missing something?
neologist

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 06:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
(BTW, the Greek word for spiritism is pharmakia, does that sound familiar?)
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Well let's see:- A pharmacy is a place to get medicines (we call them chemists in Britain)
Gospel-writer Luke was a doctor.
Am I missing something?
Yeah.
The English transliteration would be 'druggery' or drug abuse. Kind of belongs with spiritism, wouldn't you say? Giving over your will to either spirit or chemical.
0 Replies