Boss is confusing me....

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:22 pm
Here it goes, I've known my boss for 6 years and it's always been a strictly working relationship. I went through a divorce 4 years ago. My ex left me due to his controlling issues, only seeing me as a mother to our children, and he was 40 and said he wanted to be free. I spent 3 years in therapy and learned to love myself again. During all this, my boss and co-workers were extremely supportive and understanding. I've dated over the past 4 years on and off but am truly happy with who I am and where I am in life. My only missing piece is finding that best friend, partner. Approximately a month and a half ago my boss started texting me about work related issues, call me on the weekend to ask me a question on a file (that I know he should know the answer or could of waited until Monday), etc. now, we all play practical jokes at work on each other and know about our personal lives, families, etc. Over the past month he has sent somewhat flirting messages to me. He is married with two kids. His kids come to our office regularly and of course spend the day with me, coloring, going to lunch, everything. He has started staying at the office if I need to stay late to finish a task. I point blank asked/told him what he was doing, you're married with a family and he has a lot to lose. His response to me was that he's unhappy and he's stays for his kids. He cannot imagine living one day without seeing his kids. His wife has changed (she's on medication for depression, bipolar disorder) but she's a good mother. She nags him constantly for the long hours our company requires. According to him, this began about a year ago. Now, everyone at the office, including myself, thought he had a great marriage. I think he is purposely arranging schedules at work so it ends up being just he and I working late. I have advised him he needs to do what will make him happy in life. He tells me 3 days ago that he cares and respects me, but he felt I needed to know that over the past 2-3 months something has changed. His feelings for me have changed. He likes my confidence in myself and the way I can be a lady but on the flip side I can be one of the guys and hang out. He tells me that in 19 years of marriage he has never been tempted until I came along. I have kept him at arms length since he has revealed this. He regularly tries to call me after I leave the office, text me or will call me on weekends, always before he gets home or when his wife is gone. I have no idea how his wife is clueless to all this. His appearance has changed over the past 2 months, his attitude, everything. I feel for her because do I think it's an emotional affair at this point, yes. We do have long conversations about him, his life, my life. My problem is, I have always had the upmost respect for this man. Have I over the past year wondered what if he wasn't married, yes. Have I ever acted on it, given him any impression of my thoughts, no way. I treat him the same as everyone else and the same I did 6 years ago when he hired me. I guess my dilemma is, why is he doing this? If you are so unhappy at home with the exception of your kids, why stay? He tells me he has no regrets or guilt over his feelings for me. I don't understand it as I've never been put in this position. Reporting him to our superior is not an option. He would lose his job of 20 plus years. Any thoughts?

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:28 pm
@nicole8702,
No, reporting to him his superior is the option. It's the only one, really.

You are getting unwanted attention, intended to lead to attention that is sexual in nature, from someone who is in an uneven position of power over you.

That's sexual harassment, or at least proto-sexual harassment.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/sexual+harassment

It may not be hostile yet, but try being firm and saying no to him. A lot.

And I bet you'll start to see hostile.

Now is the time to do something about this.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:07 pm
@nicole8702,
I mostly agree with Jespah. His behavior is sexual harrassment. He needs to stop.

Have you made it very clear to him that you are not open to a relationship? If you haven't done this, then I might not advise you to report him yet. Make if very clear that you are not interested in him first. Be very direct and honest, you feel uncomfortable with him, you want a working relationship and you don't want anything more than that.

Then, if he doesn't wise up, you should report him. If you have already very clearly told him this, then you should report him now.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:14 pm
@nicole8702,
nicole8702 wrote:
Reporting him to our superior is not an option. He would lose his job of 20 plus years. Any thoughts?

If he is concerned about keeping his job he should not be behaving as he has been recently.

I suggest stepping back from any personal conversations and letting him know the attention is unwelcome.

If he doesn't stop immediately, he must be reported. His keeping his job is not your responsibility.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:39 pm
You are single, young, his inferior and looking for a guy. BINGO!

Men unhappy at home and in a superior position can spot a vulnerable woman - and that's you.

Get away from this ASAP. Stop being "one of the guys" and his listening board for him. Find a boyfriend and consider a transfer or new job.

This is a future heartache waiting to happen.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 09:34 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
No, reporting to him his superior is the option. It's the only one, really.

You are getting unwanted attention, intended to lead to attention that is sexual in nature, from someone who is in an uneven position of power over you.

Give me a break even a married man have a right to make a polite approach and unless and until she tell him that she is uncomfortable with being drawn into his personal life and just would never consider a personal relationship with a married man and he then keep on she have no moral right to be reporting him.

Once more I take my hat off to Bill Gates for being willing to take the risk of courting his now wife a Microsoft employee at the time with people like you eager and ready to declare that due to uneven power balance any approach must fall under sexual harassment classification.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 09:38 pm
@BillRM,
Bill Gates was not a married man.

His story does not apply here - just as it doesn't apply to almost every other thread you plop it in.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 09:54 pm
@ehBeth,
The fact that this guy is a married man is irrelevant.The only relevant fact is that he is making unwanted advances.
BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 09:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Bill Gates was not a married man.

So what? Is there a law I do not know about that make it illegal for a married man to make a polite approach to another woman?

Married or not married the woman being approach have a duty to let the man know one way or another if his attentions are not welcome and until the lady does so it is not sexual harassment.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:02 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The only relevant fact is that he is making unwanted advances.

An without her being clear over this matter how in the hell is he suppose to know if his advancements is welcome or not welcome or even whether she had not make up her mind yet over the matter?????????
maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:29 pm
@BillRM,
Why so many question marks. I made that exact point above.

She should make it very clear that his advances are unwanted. Then, if it continues, it is a legal matter and she should report it.
BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:38 pm
@maxdancona,
From her first posting I question if at this time she herself is sure if his advancements are welcome or are not welcome let alone is ready to make her desires clear to him one way or another.

One thing I am damn sure of is she have no right to reach out to claim the victim card until she does let him know in clear terms and he then pressure her.

0 Replies