7
   

We are at the centre of the universe - official.

 
 
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:12 am
Scientists, the media, and some old religions still think that the Earth is at the centre of the cosmos...

...why do we still think that the Earth is, in key respects, the centre of the cosmos?

1. Because only the Earth cannot generate life. It needs seeds from outer space.
2. Because only on the Earth is there life. Elsewhere there are only strange approximations to life.
3. Because only the Earth is an insignificant speck. The rest of the cosmos is vast and awesome.

Let's face it. Science and the media are still piling on Ptolemaic geocentricism - the idea that in key respects the Earth is the centre of the cosmos. More chocolate sauce guys? Yuk.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,459 • Replies: 24

 
Romeo Fabulini
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:42 am
Yes, when scientists and cosmologists look out into space they openly ADMIT they see the universe expanding away from earth no matter which direction they look, as if the earth is at the very centre of the original Big Bang explosion..Smile
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:52 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Scientists, the media, and some old religions still think that the Earth is at the centre of the cosmos...

Scientists don't think that at all. The media says anything to get attention, and old religions don't even know what the cosmos is.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you just like to post antithetical statements to see what happens?
JohnJonesCardiff
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:03 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Scientists, the media, and some old religions still think that the Earth is at the centre of the cosmos...

Scientists don't think that at all. The media says anything to get attention, and old religions don't even know what the cosmos is.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you just like to post antithetical statements to see what happens?


Hello.
You have not listed and detailed "stuff".
Please list and detail "stuff".
If you cannot list and detail "stuff" please list and detail "trappings" and "luggage".
rosborne979
 
  2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:09 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Hello.
You have not listed and detailed "stuff".
Please list and detail "stuff".

You've accused us of not reading your posts very well, but it seems like you're either being dense, so it's you who doesn't read well.

It's pretty obvious that the "stuff" I'm referring to is this post (for one), but your other posts as well since they all carry the same antithetical rhetoric.
JohnJonesCardiff
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:13 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Hello.
You have not listed and detailed "stuff".
Please list and detail "stuff".

You've accused us of not reading your posts very well, but it seems like you're either being dense, so it's you who doesn't read well.

It's pretty obvious that the "stuff" I'm referring to is this post (for one), but your other posts as well since they all carry the same antithetical rhetoric.


My "stuff" doesn't look like thetical stuff. More like anti-stuff. I know stuff when I see it and my "stuff" is more like something else. Kinda, only apparently, stuff, but nuanced.
rosborne979
 
  3  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:17 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
My "stuff" doesn't look like thetical stuff. More like anti-stuff. I know stuff when I see it and my "stuff" is more like something else. Kinda, only apparently, stuff, but nuanced.

Great, so you create nuanced bullshit. How impressive.
JohnJonesCardiff
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:44 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
My "stuff" doesn't look like thetical stuff. More like anti-stuff. I know stuff when I see it and my "stuff" is more like something else. Kinda, only apparently, stuff, but nuanced.

Great, so you create nuanced bullshit. How impressive.


I can see you are into stuff. Anyone else into stuff?
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:14 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Where do you come up with this stuff?


it's obviously a workup to some comedy club routine
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  3  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:11 am
Science says that the universe consists of hundreds of billions of galaxies each of which contains hundreds of billions of stars. Our sun is one of the stars. Science says we're just a speck of dusk and not at the center of anything.
JohnJonesCardiff
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:18 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Science says that the universe consists of hundreds of billions of galaxies each of which contains hundreds of billions of stars. Our sun is one of the stars. Science says we're just a speck of dusk and not at the center of anything.


You've repeated my point. We are at a conceptual centre. You said it yourself. The earth is at the heart of speckdom - we are a speck, the rest is big and awesome. So we are a centre.
fresco
 
  4  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:51 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
More waffle based on ridiculous choice of axioms !

Why not start with one which says ALL concepts are tautologically anthropocentric because they are couched in human language ?

Next ?
JohnJonesCardiff
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:21 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

More waffle based on ridiculous choice of axioms !

Why not start with one which says ALL concepts are tautologically anthropocentric because they are couched in human language ?

Next ?



The urge to make the earth a centre of something has never gone away. It is stronger now than since Ptolemy.

Science can't claim that the earth is at a physical centre so they do the next best thing - the earth is at the centre of insignificance. And the rest.
Brandon9000
 
  3  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:38 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Science says that the universe consists of hundreds of billions of galaxies each of which contains hundreds of billions of stars. Our sun is one of the stars. Science says we're just a speck of dusk and not at the center of anything.


You've repeated my point. We are at a conceptual centre. You said it yourself. The earth is at the heart of speckdom - we are a speck, the rest is big and awesome. So we are a centre.

We are at your conceptual center, but, in fact, we are on a planet circling an undistinguished star, on one spiral arm of an undistinguished galaxy. How are we at the heart of anything? There is no heart. You're just making stuff up, like an ant that thinks he's the center of creation. What's next, your home town is the exact center?
fresco
 
  3  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:38 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
You don't get it.
Either you are on some sort of catharsis trip involving concocted controversy, or you are ignorant of the role of context in semantics. (Read Derrida on privileging).
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  4  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:02 pm
It's very simple. He tries to use the rules of the lotto game, All or Nothing. When you get all right, you win, but when you get all wrong, you still win.
0 Replies
 
JohnJonesCardiff
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:41 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Science says that the universe consists of hundreds of billions of galaxies each of which contains hundreds of billions of stars. Our sun is one of the stars. Science says we're just a speck of dusk and not at the center of anything.


You've repeated my point. We are at a conceptual centre. You said it yourself. The earth is at the heart of speckdom - we are a speck, the rest is big and awesome. So we are a centre.

We are at your conceptual center, but, in fact, we are on a planet circling an undistinguished star, on one spiral arm of an undistinguished galaxy. How are we at the heart of anything? There is no heart. You're just making stuff up, like an ant that thinks he's the center of creation. What's next, your home town is the exact center?


The earth is at a physical place. You have made this one physical place the centre of insignificance, the place where the whole universe must travel to to find the one, true, insignificance.
That looks like sour-grapes-religion.
NSFW (view)
Brandon9000
 
  2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:47 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Science says that the universe consists of hundreds of billions of galaxies each of which contains hundreds of billions of stars. Our sun is one of the stars. Science says we're just a speck of dusk and not at the center of anything.


You've repeated my point. We are at a conceptual centre. You said it yourself. The earth is at the heart of speckdom - we are a speck, the rest is big and awesome. So we are a centre.

We are at your conceptual center, but, in fact, we are on a planet circling an undistinguished star, on one spiral arm of an undistinguished galaxy. How are we at the heart of anything? There is no heart. You're just making stuff up, like an ant that thinks he's the center of creation. What's next, your home town is the exact center?


The earth is at a physical place. You have made this one physical place the centre of insignificance, the place where the whole universe must travel to to find the one, true, insignificance.
That looks like sour-grapes-religion.

Your word games have nothing to do with reality. There is no center and our location doesn't seem to be special, in fact, quite the reverse.
0 Replies
 
fresco
 
  6  
Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 02:11 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Why inflict your philosophical igorance and/or psychological problems on strangers ?

Your "science denying significance" ="significance" is just a simplistic badly stated variant of the logical form "atheism is predicated on theism". The contents are irrelevant, and even if we examine them you attempt set up "science" as some sort of straw man antithesis of what you call "religion" so that you can knock it down or play games with your synthetic distinction.

Some of us have been here a long time and we have seen it all before. My suggested axiom about anthropocentricity, trumps anything that johnjonescentricity has to offer, unless of course you are claiming exemption from the human race ! Wink
 

Related Topics

Oddities and Humor - Discussion by edgarblythe
Let's play "Caption the Photo" II - Discussion by gustavratzenhofer
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Funny Pictures ***Slow Loading*** - Discussion by JerryR
Caption The Cartoon - Discussion by panzade
Geek and Nerd Humor - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Caption The Cartoon Part Deux - Discussion by panzade
IS IT OK FOR ME TO CHEAT? - Question by Setanta
2008 Election: Political Humor - Discussion by Robert Gentel
 
  1. Forums
  2. » We are at the centre of the universe - official.
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/20/2022 at 12:25:56