How is my Grammar so terrible?

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:28 pm
Many people have praised me for how well I speak, and often elevate their own level of vocabulary when conversing with me. I also read avidly, yet ---

whenever I ask someone to read an article that I've written, or a book that I'm writing, this is their very first complaint:

"Your grammar is terrible."

I'm going to show excerpts of four different works of mine:
1) The first is an article that I wrote about a Town Hall event yesterday
2) The second is a fiction book that I am writing.
3) The third is a non fiction book.

???

Why is my grammar the first complaint that I receive --- rather quickly too.

Also, I am not asking whether you agree or disagree with the things I've written. I will ignore whatever you say on that subject no matter how well written. PM me if you care to actually discuss the contained content.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt 1:
"On the evening of January 9th, hundreds of Brookhaven and Islip residents laid siege to the Brookhaven Hall, many of which who were wearing custom made T-shirts with the slogan “Say No to Eminent Domain.”

These citizens had convened in order to guard their most precious right, the foundation of American Liberty, the cornerstone of the Enlightenment that guided the minds of John Locke, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson. This is the right of Man to enjoy the fruits of his own labor; to be secure in his person, house and effects against unreasonable search and seizure, nor to have any Governmental agency confiscate his property without just compensation.

When the Government fails to protect this right, it is dysfunctional, and void of purpose; however, when a Government not only fails to protect right, but becomes the Transgressor itself, it ceases to be a Government at all, as it is now a Tyranny, run by ravenous madmen, sending “hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance,” so reads the Declaration of Independence."

Excerpt Two:
"Citizens and Subjects
Chapter 1, The Harvest

Dear Journal,
February 4th, 2064
Chesapeake Bay, Maryland

We never paid any heed to the wisdom of our forefathers, and we scoffed at those who tried to warn us, we even had a hand in our own demise. Like fools we clung to our partisan divides, blind and full of ire and hatred for one another; we argued and fought, as we had for generations, diminishing, devaluing and debasing our foes with each of our victories, and in turn, being disparaged and denied our very dignity and happiness following each of our defeats.

In both our vanity and arrogance, we were determined to annihilate the other side – at any cost to our liberties; for we believed that a final and debilitating blow to our enemy would at last restore peace and prosperity to our great nation – until the day the Great Leviathan descended upon us, binding and enslaving all to its will.

Today, both we and our former foes stand united, as we are all upon the brink of destruction. The fate of all remaining free men depends on this historical hour, for our battles and struggles have culminated and condensed into this final moment – this singularity of doom.

I know not the results to come, nor do I even know if I will survive this event, but I'd rather die standing, than cower and bow before the Beast – give me Liberty, or give me Death ...

Four Years Earlier:

“Joseph! Javier! Come and give your old pop a hand here!” Jim called across the pumpkin fields, sweat pouring from his face, while the cold air nipped at his fingers.

“Old pop? Imagine if Gramps heard you saying that?” Javier called back.

“Come on Jav, didn’t you know that forty is the new sixty?” Joseph said cheerily, jogging alongside his brother, approaching their father, the sun illuminating their blue eyes, their skin glowing light brown, like their mother.

“Just you boys wait until your turn forty!” said Jim, dragging the larger pumpkins towards the pick-up truck.

“I’m already half way there myself pops,” said Joseph, tossing the heaviest pumpkin into the truck with ease, “I mean seriously, I can’t even bench three hundred.”

“Oh! Angela was salivating at the gym last night Joey,” said Javier, cleaving a monstrous pumpkins into quarters, “showing up Mark that night, he didn’t even make it to two-fifty!”

“Was she?” Joseph said distractedly. “Well, I guess she’s sort of pretty…”

“Boys, before I forget, I need you to fill the truck with some bio-fuel when we pass the greenhouse. Get those pumpkin quarters into bags, and put them in the station refrigerator; the train is coming early this week … today actually,” Jim said, throwing the remaining pumpkins into the back.

“Pops, you know we can’t stay tonight to load the train! Fencing semi-finals are tomorrow afternoon in Harrisburg, we’ve got to catch the Pennsylvania train at six o’clock!” Javier exclaimed heatedly.

“I know, I know… I’ll keep Fred and Jamal overtime, they had an easy day at the greenhouse anyway, they’ll still be fresh. Anyway, I can tip conductor to give us a hand, new guy, rather young. Probably be better if I remembered his name though…” Jim said, sighing.

“I think it was Jack, or Jake, maybe Jill …” Javier said teasingly.

“Yeah, that’ll motivate him, insulting his manhood,” said Joseph, jumping into the driver’s seat. “You coming Jav?”

“Yeah, so is Angela,” Javier said, laughing heartily, jumping into the passenger’s side, as the car was starting accelerate. “See you at dinner pops.”

Jim decided to walk west, towards the river, it was a boon to have such a convenient source of fresh water nearby, droughts becoming more common each year. The climate had been changing drastically since the Yellow Stone Eruption of 2054. First there was the infamous “Sun Drought” for nearly two years, followed by unpredictable real droughts and tornadoes all the United States, the entirety of the Midwest is now a shadow of its former self.

New York was now one of the great farming giants. There was so much empty land left available, the world’s population dropped to a mere two billion during the famine. Forests already dominated the forgotten suburbs. Then the Plague came, supposedly an old government experiment, abandoned in chaos of the Eruption.

The skies were crystal clear lately, but the droughts were still devastating to the pumpkin and corn yields. The river provided just enough water to keep their farm afloat during the dry seasons, although this year would be different. The Rebellion was becoming more expensive in the North, property taxes had increased nearly eight percent this year alone, and there were no exemptions for farmers this time. He would have to raise his milk prices, it’s the only good Jim sold that allowed him to dictate the price, as it was luxury item.

He skipped some pebbles across the flowing surface of the Ausable River. He remembered doing this with his grandfather more than thirty years ago. It was comforting to remember those moments, to see that river and trees still endured, ever lasting, as if the thirty years were no more than a ripple across the water’s surface.

“Blitz!” Jim bellowed, calling to his dog, a regal looking German Shepard, “Come, I got you a treat.” Jim could see the Shepard rustling the corn stalks, as she raced towards him.

She licked his face, right across his eyes, partially knocking his glasses off. “Ha! You get me every time with that one! You’d think I would learned right? “ he said to the dog, ripping a package open, “Nope, it’s not chocolate today … now don’t be giving me that look, I know you love these.”

Blitz gave them a sniff, then gently took them one at a time, careful of his master’s hands --- and then she saw some deer on the other side of the pumpkin patch

“Go get em’ Blitz!” Jim yelled, watching her run with all fury, knowing she’ll never catch them. “Some things they just never learn,” he said to himself, smiling broadly. He got up and started walking down the dirt road to the greenhouse.

As he walked, he heard the screeching of low altitude cruise missiles flying overhead, normally, this wouldn’t be remarkable, but this time they were heading south, instead of north; the rebels must have hijacked an entire convoy to obtain those … more taxes to pay then. Well, so long as they didn’t hit the greenhouse, having just added ten more stories to it ---- and it was rather costly to bribe the local town hall for the permit, although at least they waived the processing fees."

Excerpt 3:

"One of the most ambiguously employed words in the American vernacular is the term liberal. The meaning of this word has evolved over the centuries, an evolution that has produced two separate species, species that are irreconcilable, species that are engaged in a battle for dominance, a battle which will soon force the other into extinction. The history of the word's transformation is fascinating, for the examination of the subject provides the reader with both invaluable and essential knowledge — knowledge that is requisite to understand the very philosophical foundation of our Constitution.

Although the basic concepts of Classical Liberalism have existed since antiquity, it is best to begin this inquiry at the inception of Classical Liberalism during the Age of Enlightenment, founded by the philosopher John Locke. Although, in order to understand John Locke, we must also understand one of those men most responsible for influencing his development of Classical Liberal ideology, John Milton.

Our investigation begins with a man named John Milton and the concept of the Divine Right of Kings. The theory of Divine Right asserts that God divides men by certain distinctions, Kings and Subjects, just as God divides the human species into male and female. The King is Sovereign, exercising supreme authority in all spheres of government, in all places subject to his jurisdiction; therefore, under this doctrine, the King is endowed by the Creator with unlimited rights, for all decisions made by the King are in fact the will of God.

The Subject is inferior to the King, and must accept any edict from the King without question. The Subject only has those rights which the King permits. Those rights may be revoked, denied or disparaged at any time. Some Subjects will enjoy being in a privileged class (so long as they remain in favor with the King), elevating their status in both government and society, for if God can create the Distinction of King and Subject among Men, then the King, who rules by the will of God, can create the Distinction of Nobility and Commoner among the Subjects.

Central to the doctrine of Divine Right, was that no Subject may question the King, for questioning any edict of the King was equivalent to challenging the will of God. The King being Sovereign over his Subjects, both Noble and Common, can only be judged by God, or another King, as other Kings rule by the will of God. Thus the Subjects have no power, on heaven or earth, to depose of their King.

However, during the middle of the 17th Century, a man named John Milton came to challenge the legitimacy of the Divine Right doctrine itself. Milton argued that the King's authority was derived from the people, and thus the King's power is only granted to him by Popular Sovereignty. Most important is that the people derive this sovereignty from God, and that these Sovereigns have both the right and the obligation to overthrow a tyrannical King. Here the roles of King and Subject are reversed, the Subjects are Sovereign over the King; the King only rules as a privilege extended to him by the people, a privilege that can be revoked, denied or disparaged at any time. Overall, the King is a Servant to the Public, hence the term public servant.

SKIPPING A LOT OF MATERIALS TOWARDS ANOTHER KEY PART OF THIS ARTICLE

Now we will return to Sir Robert's Patriarcha, and cast aside the involvement of religion (God) in doctrine of Divine Right. When we have removed religion, we are left with the raw embodiment of Statism, which decrees that the State is Sovereign over the people, and that the people exist at the mercy and grace of the State, thus these people are Subjects, and their rulers are Kings.

People living under this doctrine, willingly or unwillingly, possess no rights, for the State is sovereign over all things, and thus the State has unlimited rights, infinite in its power. The State will usually delegate most of its powers to the Subjects, as it would be both inconvenient and impractical to administer the entirety of its infinite power in finite Time. Thus the State must prioritize which powers it exercises, because it only has limited Time and resources to execute its authority.

The first among these priorities will be to exercise the powers required to preserve its authority. Any time the Subjects of the State use their delegated privileges to challenge the State, the State will hastily disparage that privilege among those who are resisting them, and sometimes deny the privilege completely. In times of great peril to the Kings who administer the State, they will revoke the privilege entirely among all their Subjects. Once revoked, it will never be regained by the Subjects; the State does not forgive, it does not forget, it will never relinquish this privilege again.

In order to make sure that the people no longer continue to exercise that privilege, it will perpetually police its Subjects, for the failure to police the Subjects will result in a challenge to the authority of the State, which must not be questioned. Herein is the guiding principle behind the Police State. A government founded on the doctrine of Statism cannot guarantee its infinite sovereignty by doctrine alone, it must rely upon a compliant police or military, a Privileged class of Subjects, granted innumerable benefits and privileges that no ordinary Subject may possess (in short, a Nobility).

Recalling that the State must prioritize which powers to invoke, because the State is limited by Time, we must pay heed to the innovations of modern technology. Technology is a neutral entity; it can be used for both good and ill. The most important feature of technology, is that it allows a person or party (government) to use its Time more efficiently, allowing the person or party to accomplish more tasks in a given measure of time than previously before. As a consequence, as technology improves, the State is able to exercise additional powers, because it can use its Time more efficiently, and thus can Police its citizens even more than ever before, further reducing any perceived threats. Remember, that any government operating under the Doctrine of Statism only delegates those privileges to its Subjects that it cannot reasonable exercise in respect to its other priorities. However, once the Government has the ability to Police that right without diminishing other priorities, it will immediately revoke that privilege among its Subjects and reserve that right exclusively to itself.

So if we had to define Statism in a nutshell, it would be this: All rights are reserved to the State, and people within the State are Subjects to its Supreme Sovereignty, thus any rights that the Subjects exercise are but mere privileges, either granted by the State directly, or graced upon the Subjects by silent acquiescence. The State, being the Supreme Sovereign, may deny, disparage or revoke those privileges among any or all of its Subjects, for any or no cause. Therefore, the Subjects have no rights, but legal privileges only.

However, this system of thought is founded upon a series of contradictory axioms, and we will explore these contradictions in the essays to follow! One of the largest contradictions in Statist philosophy is that Statists require a compliant police or military force (notice that compliant was put in bold print earlier). If the Kings must rely upon the Consent of individual Subjects in order to enforce their Will, then the Kings are not truly sovereign, they must derive their power, as a privilege, from the rights of some other Sovereign entity (or entities) who Consented to delegate those privileges to the Kings. And if this Sovereign Entity decides that the Kings have become tyrannical, they may withdraw their Consent by ceasing to enforce its laws, in other words, make the edicts of the King void, without force, null.

This is only the beginning of the logical fallacies in the Statist philosophy. As such, Statism leads to Chaos, because it is founded on flawed axioms, expelling the system back into the void; whereas Anarchy is Chaos, because it is not founded on any axiom, being totally devoid of Order. Consequentially, Societies, being a different entity from Government altogether, will quickly find themselves in despair whilst existing within a Statist or Anarchistic form of Government, because the societies themselves will fall victim to Chaos.

On the theme of Order and Chaos, we shall conclude Part 2 with two excerpts from Thomas Paine’s Common Sense:

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil in its worst state an intolerable one; for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries by a government, which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities is heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer!

Apparentlybadatgram

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:30 pm
@Apparentlybadatgram,
Also, answers to OP such as "your grammar really is terrible," don't help me at all.

Please identify which parts of my grammar are so terrible, because if it is, I really need help.

Also, if you can only find one or two examples of "terrible grammar" among all the content I posted, then I'll hardly be concerned.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:14 pm
@Apparentlybadatgram,
Make up your mind. Are you really needing help or hardly concerned with your grammar errors?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:31 pm
@Apparentlybadatgram,
Excerpt 1:
"On the evening of January 9th, hundreds of Brookhaven and Islip residents laid siege to the Brookhaven Hall, many of WHOM were wearing custom made T-shirts with the slogan “Say No to Eminent Domain.”

Rework this into two sentences. You've got conflicting thoughts jumbled together.

This is the right of Man to enjoy the fruits of his own labor; to be secure in his person, house and effects against unreasonable search and seizure, nor to have any Governmental agency confiscate his property without just compensation.

Next paragraph has same problem. Use shorter, less complex sentences rather than trying to cram everything into one long run on sentence. Also, the quote you attribute to the declaration of independence is not contained in it. Check your facts.

That's all I'm going to specifically review. Glancing at your other excerpts, they are also contaminated with the same problems. Rework them, put ideas into separate sentences rather than everything in one. It gives clarity and doesn't make your audience work so hard at trying to figure out what you are trying to say.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here are some websites about run-on sentences, how to recognize them, and how to avoid them.

I think your writing will benefit from an investment of your time reading them.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/what-are-run-on-sentences

http://www.myenglishteacher.net/runonsentences.html
ekename

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:52 pm
@Apparentlybadatgram,
Quote:
How is my Grammar so terrible?

It isn't. Did you and gramps go down by the Ausable River all those years ago fishing for compliments Ed? It's mostly marvellous stuff and quite a good read except curiously,

SKIPPING A LOT OF MATERIALS TOWARDS ANOTHER KEY PART OF THIS ARTICLE, and the errors in Excerpt 1 .

"On the evening of January 9th, hundreds of Brookhaven and Islip residents laid siege to the Brookhaven Hall, many of which who [WHO] were wearing custom made T-shirts with the slogan “Say No to Eminent Domain.”

These citizens had convened in order to guard their most precious right, the foundation of American Liberty, the cornerstone of the Enlightenment that guided the minds of John Locke, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson. This is the right of Man to enjoy the fruits of his own labor; to be secure in his person, house and effects against unreasonable search and seizure, nor [AND NOT]to have any Governmental agency confiscate his property without just compensation.

When the Government fails to protect this right, it is dysfunctional, and void of purpose; however, when a Government not only fails to protect [THIS]right, but becomes the Transgressor itself, it ceases to be a Government at all, as it is now a Tyranny, run by ravenous madmen, sending “hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance,” so reads the Declaration of Independence."
Apparentlybadatgram

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you for your responses, and I would appreciate more of it, I knew that word "whom" was missing (albeit subconsciously haha).

However you are wrong about the Declaration of Independence:

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html

This is among one of its most famous phrases.
Apparentlybadatgram

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:13 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ok, I'll check this out.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:20 pm
@Apparentlybadatgram,
You are correct, I've misremembered it. Been awhile since I read the whole thing. Thanks for the refresher.
0 Replies

Apparentlybadatgram

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:39 pm
@ekename,
Interesting, I remember making a conscious decision to replace "and not" with "nor."

When reading the entire sentence, your suggestion does sound better, but why is the use of "nor" incorrect here?

Either "who" or "whom" as suggested above certainly sounds and reads more normal that "which who," although I prefer the "whom" from the previous poster.

[this] right was typo lol Smile

Well thanks for enjoying excerpt 2!
Apparentlybadatgram

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:49 pm
@Apparentlybadatgram,
I suppose excerpt 1 is terrible because I only wrote a single draft and fixed a few typos as my final copy.

Anyway, thanks guys.
0 Replies