Ever wonder if someone you write about here is read by them?

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:16 am
So when you post something here and give specific details -- do you ever wonder if someone on A2K is the person you are writing about? Most of us have fake names on here -- so what if I wrote and complained about my boss for instance and the details are so specific and they happen to be fred123; I didn't know and they read it?

I thought that today as wrote about the experience with my kid's teacher. Not that it is so negative, but of course, you write more bluntly when you do not think the person you write about is reading it.

So do you every wonder/worry about it?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:58 am
I hold back some information from having the same concern. Even though edgarblythe is not my real name, it is easy to search my real name.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:02 am
@Linkat,
Do I wonder? Yes. Do I worry about it? At first yes. After a considerable amount of hesitation, if I'm still worried about what I write and the person to whom the problem is addressing then I don't hit the submit button. Once I hit the submit button then I stop worrying.

So far, no negative consequences have been discovered. Though to be fair, I rarely write about nona2k members here. Also, very little people I interact with on a day to day basis here in NYC know about able2know.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 01:09 pm
@Linkat,
Pretty unlikely
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 01:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
It is funny cause right after I wrote of my "teacher"experience, I thought --- what if this teacher is part of A2K? My description and timing would be such that she could only make a connection.

Oh well - such is life.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:03 pm
@Linkat,
Too little too late Razz

A few years ago I didn't know how the tags worked. That's when I discovered some bitches in town followed me here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:23 pm
@Linkat,
Darn good thing you moved before your upstairs neighbor had a 'mishap' with her Diebold safe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:19 pm
I've occasionally tried to recruit friends here.

big nah. I don't know why. Some were internet phobic and others off on their own stuff. I pushed one guy, he'd be perfect, Richard. We'll see, maybe I can still recruit him. He was to start with an architectural historian and then got all interested in the belly of california. Man knows a lot, and I'd like him to be here.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, and he's had aids for a long time. But I'd rather him speak here.

We'll see, I'll try to be ms natter, but he is busy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:07 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

So when you post something here and give specific details -- do you ever wonder if someone on A2K is the person you are writing about? Most of us have fake names on here -- so what if I wrote and complained about my boss for instance and the details are so specific and they happen to be fred123; I didn't know and they read it?

I thought that today as wrote about the experience with my kid's teacher. Not that it is so negative, but of course, you write more bluntly when you do not think the person you write about is reading it.

So do you every wonder/worry about it?

No, but I do withold certain information (see the "Mr. A" comment in my response in your kid's teacher thread) against the possibilty that someone might identify me.

I fully wish to remain annonymous in this forum not least of all because I look forward to allowing my Id to run free.

Every now and again we've had a member think they were being bold by declaring for all the world to see their true identity. They are rare however, and they usually disappear afterwards (I'm thinking of one guy who chose an intenet game as his nomme de plumme).

You are "Linkat." That is all I and any of us need to know.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
They are rare however,
Why thank you Finn, I think...

Quote:
and they usually disappear afterwards
Indeed at 83 my neph gives me only 3 more years
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 02:28 pm
@dalehileman,
You know what Dale, I have to write this complaint about this behavior you have on A2K...I'm almost regret that I'm doing it. I'll write this upfront. I think your a good person but just a bit misguided.

I have to let you know...because I've seen you do this behavior far too often..and have left you either on ignore or make no comment because of it. Frankly, I thought the behavior not worth the time to call you out on it: This issue of what you say about 'your incipient Alzheimer's' and mortality issue' sticks in my craw. I'll bet I'm not the only one that is bothered by hearing about it so often and behavior is tedious.

Some of us have one or more that one life threatening illnesses or life battles. The fact you refer to yours and do it more than just once..is beyond tedious. Many of us might easily want to find sympathy for anyone that has this going on but ....being lead to that with multiple mentions ... well?

My calling you out on this is not meant to be callous or being a 'Dale hater'.
I'm not superior to you or meaning to elevate myself.

When called out by others in the past, you often wrap yourself in cloak of insincere or attempt at humorous self-deprecation that you must be an 'awful person'. Just don't go there.

We all have a limited time on earth...some of us more limited than others regardless of advanced age. The fact that you write about that issue to this A2K audience and you mention your nephew says about the time you have left, is a curiosity that I don't want to delve into. Frankly, no one here knows how much time they have left..no matter their are or their life circumstance. It can come across as a cheap and hollow attempt at sympathy.

Stepping off my soapbox. Dale I wish you well - I truly do, but please give us a break from this crap, OK?!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 02:39 pm
@dalehileman,
Is there an internet game called "dalehileman?"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 02:48 pm
@Ragman,
I don't know, it seems harmless to me.

Are you doing ok?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:07 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Dale I wish you well - I truly do, but please give us a break from this crap, OK?!
Sorry Rag my style should trigger such a reaction
But please feel free to skip my postings, I won't be at all offended

Thanks Finn for your support at this critical juncture in acrimonious raillery of otherwise adverse encounter
jespah

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:31 pm
I hope my husband doesn't read this!

Wait ....
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:36 pm
@dalehileman,
I avoided acrimony and wish you hadn't chosen to attempt to invalidate by using that adjective to describe what I wrote. I'm done here because I don't have anything else to add . Also Seahawks have just closed off the Saints and Pats game will soon start. I'll pass you a beer and bid you good night.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:34 am
@Ragman,
Rag be sure it's a cold imported lager
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 02:23 pm
I do remember way back when - I was complaining on and on about my job and the company I worked act....there was another doing the same thing - then somehow it came out --- we both worked for the same company, but in different states.

Actually some people on here got a good chuckle when we all discovered this - most likely because they tired of our complaints.

Also found someone here (at a later job) that was contracting at the same company I was working at.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 04:06 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Ever wonder if someone you write about
here is read by them?
We don t have to wonder; something SIMILAR to that
already happened AT LEAST once, that I recall, however vaguely:
something concerning a news story qua domestic strife
wherein a female relative (maybe stepmother???) insisted on
hitting a boy with a whip (maybe c.10 years old??) .
It did not appear that he had defended himself.
We were discussing it here, when the perpetratoress posted here,
attempting to justify her position, implicitly soliciting moral support
to subjugate the victim.

I posted in defense of the victim, to her vexation.
She insulted me (stupid, ignorant or something of the like).
I answered that whether I were stupid or not,
she shud not hit the boy with a whip.

This is ez for me to remember, because one of the denizens of A2K
quoted me to that effect in his sig line, for several years (maybe still).

I very vaguely remember a few other instances wherein people
who were mentioned in the facts that we were discussing also posted here,
but I can t remember the circumstances enuf to be more specific.

In regard to writing about instances of behavior wherein other members of A2K
have participated: it seems to me that u need only be guided
by 2 considerations, to wit:

1. Don 't reveal any private confidences
that u committed yourself to keep secret

and

2. be fully truthful.

U probably shud not mention anyone by his FULL name,
unless we are discussing a public person, e.g. a politician or other celebrity.

Of course, as we know, some of us have met one another
in face-to-face social situations such that we have gotten to know
each other with varying degrees of intensity and it is possible
to write about our adventures together sometimes; again,
we need not wonder about that.

David
0 Replies