Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from the Empire State!

chai2

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 10:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ha!
You don't know the half of it.

As the story progressed, there were times that a footnote lasted like 30 pages, and within that footnote there would be references to other footnotes many pages hence.

I've read the book twice. The first time I admit I ended up skimming through the footnotes.

The 2nd time I went all out and read them. Sometimes the footnotes were a great story in themselves.

There was also at least one easter egg in the footnotes. One of the footnotes referenced another one.....that wasn't there. I was determined to find it.
I did. I can't remember what the clue was on finally being able to locate it, but it was an extremely difficult (but satisfying) puzzle.

In fact, the footnotes were very reflective of the book in general...echos within echos, mazes that double back, and when you get back to point X, and the other corridor is moved, or no longer there.

It is truly being Alice on the other side of the looking glass. Nothing was how it seemed.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 05:53 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 09:02 am
@tsarstepan,
Crudely drawn inspection sticker prompts arrest of Johnstown man
https://imgur.com/2jTZmjq.jpg
Mame

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 09:09 am
@tsarstepan,
That's hilarious. And the article, as well.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 01:47 pm
To confront rising sea levels, an NYC artist invites you to stand in the East River for 12 hours
Quote:
Performance artist Sarah Cameron Sunde (wearing red, center right) is joined by residents and supporters in the fourth hour of her performance piece. She will stand on the shores of the East River at Hallet’s Cove for a full tidal cycle.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 11:16 am
@tsarstepan,
A mystery car is up for grabs in NYC. Let's try to find it.
Quote:
There are 1,000 keys that unlock this one vehicle – which is rumored to be a Chrysler PT Cruiser, though unconfirmed. An untold number of people already have this key. You can purchase one yourself online for $19, then receive tips about the car’s location through a hotline (337-539-4255). Beyond that, the Keys4All concept is simple* enough to anyone who’s ever played "Grand Theft Auto":

“If you find the car, it is yours. But if you want to enjoy the fruits of your victory and drive, then you must accept the risk of taking the car out in the world – that another driver-errant may snatch the vehicle out from under you.”
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2022 11:21 am
@tsarstepan,
Is all ‘boom party’ noise coming from NJ? Residents report similar sounds on Staten Island

Quote:
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – At first it appeared loud music from “boom parties” keeping Staten Islanders up all night was coming from Elizabeth, N.J., but now it appears the music is also emanating closer to home.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2022 03:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Mystery of the Fish Living in Riis Beach’s Abandoned Hospital
Koi or goldfish? How long have they have been there? What's their total population? Too many good questions to ask.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 02:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
NJ not NY but I'll throw this one here.
‘Go Home!' Westfield Residents Are Over ‘The Watcher' — and They Want Fans Out
Tourists suck.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2022 10:24 am
@tsarstepan,
Organized Retail Crime is the Reason Your Pharmacy Sucks. Does NYC Even Have Organized Retail Crime?

Quote:
Sick of having to wait several minutes for a big chain pharmacy attendant to unlock your deodorant? Blame the sophisticated "gangs" of people roaming Manhattan, who leave retailers no choice but to protect their merch under lock and key.

This was the upshot of an Economist story published last month about "organized retail crime" (ORC) and its proliferation across New York and the country. The short un-bylined piece came with the subhed "Orc nation" (get it?), quoted a rep from a retail trade organization, and a criminal justice professor who used to be a grocery store executive, the latter of whom advocated for the creation of a kind of national gang database for ORC offenders.

Quote:
Hell Gate asked all five of the city's district attorneys if ORC was a problem they were seeing. Reps from Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx responded in the negative. Queens and Staten Island did not respond to our requests.

​​"We do have a lot of cases involving recidivists who have committed numerous thefts at Target, Burlington, and smaller stores, but operating as individuals, not in groups," Patrice O'Shaughnessy, a spokesperson for Bronx DA Darcel Clark, wrote in an email.
joe 2nation

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2023 10:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Two years ago at the Home Depot on 23rd, you should come by to see me, we noticed we were suffering a huge amount of shrink in the tools department. People were walking out with two or three or four power tools, many of the boxes were security tagged which did not deter the walkers in the slightest. Out the door they went.

I cannot tell you the amount of shrink without violating a number of HD rules but suffice it to say it was the reason we now have caged up all of the power tools, lasers and vacuum cleaners. (Plus other things, including, I kid you not, Tide Pod Detergent)

All locked up products are walked up to the registers and are paid for before the customer can lay hands on the box. I get at least one disappointed thief at day.

Joe(We've cut the shrink, but not to zero)Nation
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2023 01:31 pm
And the angels wept in anguish!
This Year's 'No Pants Subway Ride' in NYC Is Canceled
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2023 09:13 am
The Urban Legend on sewer alligators in NYC was apparently true.

There were other alligators in New York before ‘Godzilla’

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2023 08:58 am
@tsarstepan,
‘A raccoon is eating lasagna on my porch’ and other odd NYC complaints after 20 years of 311
Quote:
One New Yorker tried to file a noise complaint about their refrigerator. Another wanted to know how to boil a live chicken. Others asked if they could claim their pets as dependents on their tax returns, or what to do when a live goat was chained inside their apartment stairwell.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2023 07:41 am
@tsarstepan,
Authorities say NJ homeowner cut down 32 of neighbor's trees. The cost could be huge.
Quote:
Kinnelon’s tree removal ordinance requires anyone who illegally removes a tree to replace it with “another of like or superior species.” In the Twitter post, user Sam Glickman said he’d been told Haber had been quoted a $1.5 million cost to have a service build a road built to allow access for tree replacements, then plant the new trees and water them for two years. Municipal officials, however, haven’t confirmed that figure.

Violations of the ordinance also carry a fine of up to $1,000 per tree.
0 Replies