pepper the brain tissue of deceased people with the disorder?

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 04:48 am
I am not very certain about the meaning of "pepper...with..."

Does "pepper the brain tissue of deceased people with the disorder" mean "bring/sow the disorder/schizophrenia to the brain tissue of deceased people"?

Context:

Roaming bits of DNA that can relocate and proliferate throughout the genome, called "jumping genes," may contribute to schizophrenia, a new study suggests. These rogue genetic elements pepper the brain tissue of deceased people with the disorder and multiply in response to stressful events, such as infection during pregnancy, which increase the risk of the disease. The study could help explain how genes and environment work together to produce the complex disorder and may even point to ways of lowering the risk of the disease, researchers say.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 07:53 am
It means scattered throughout--imagine a dish of rice if you sprinkled pepper on it. It means the genetic material is found throughout the brain tissue, rather than located in one area.
oristarA

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 10:24 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It means scattered throughout--imagine a dish of rice if you sprinkled pepper on it. It means the genetic material is found throughout the brain tissue, rather than located in one area.

Thank you Setanta.
The real point of my question is: whether you sprinkled/peppered the dish of rice with "pepper" or with "the disorder."
According to your reply, as I reread the context, it is obviously that you sprinkled with the rogue genetic elements, not with the disorder.
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 05:38 am
@oristarA,
If you understand the sentence in its context, then you will undersand that it states that the "rogue genetic elements" are the cause of the disorder. My reply was that the genetic elements are scattered throughout the tissue--i am not claiming, and am frankly not interested in whether or not this material causes the disorder. I certainly did not say the disorder is scattered throughout the brain; nor would i, as i would consider that a nonsensical statement.
0 Replies