It's been a month since she told me she doesn't want a boyfriend. Should I ask again?

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 02:00 pm
So I started seeing a girl from work. She's 21 and I'm 27, we're both super shy. I'd liked her for ages and found out she liked me, so I kissed her at a works party in front of our colleagues/friends, it was amazing. We talked about how much we liked each other but agreed to take things slow. Over the next month we went on a few really nice dates and everything was great. I met her parents and she told mutual friends we were 'seeing each other'. I started telling her more and more how much I like her, we kissed repeatedly in her office, the whole thing was so exciting and fun. However... then I asked if she'd like to meet my family. She froze up and said 'I'll think about it'. We kissed for like an hour after so I assumed all was good.

I text her to arrange another date a few nights later but she kept rescheduling at the last minute with lame excuses, it happened 5 times.
When I finally ran into her at work, nearly 2 weeks had passed. We chatted for hours like nothing changed, I thought everything was fine but when I asked if she'd like to come round mine after work she just said 'I don't want a boyfriend'... She said I tick all the right boxes but she's too busy at the moment, that I'm too nice to string along, and the usual 'it's not you it's me' line. I acted as cool as I could, I told her it's fine and we can still be friends but I was devastated. I still am.

I honestly don't know what changed her mind but can be sure it's not another guy, she doesn't go out much and has a close knit group of friends, all girls. I can only think I moved too fast and scared her off.

So now I'm acting cool around everyone at work. I don't want people to know how much it's affected me. I've been on 2 nights out with my colleagues (and her) and chatted to her as if nothing had changed (except now we don't kiss). I've also worked a few shifts with her and she sort of seems into me again...

I have a large circle of friends outside of work and am trying to get tagged in as many Facebook posts/photos on nights out as possible (including with other girls). To her and my colleagues I've moved on and only like her as a friend. The trouble is everytime I see her again it messes my head up, it sets me back weeks of progress in trying to get over her by making me feel I have a chance again. Her friend even suggested I shouldn't give up because she probably just got scared.

I'm working in her department again next week. It'll have been a month since she ended it and I want to know if I still have a chance, or if I should forget it and move on. I don't know how to ask her though. I desperately want her to say yes, but if she says no I'd hate for anyone to find out I ever asked, pride issues I guess.

I don't want to sound too pathetic but here's what I want to say:

'It sucks that we don't hang out anymore. Am I being stupid for not wanting to move on? I was really enjoying getting to know you, we have such a connection and I don't want to turn my back on something so cool. I'm not asking to be your boyfriend... but I'd like to take you on another date if that sounds good to you?'

If she says no, I plan to get closure on what exactly I did to change her mind.

'We were getting on really well til that night I asked you to meet my family... I sensed something was up then we didn't see each other for 2 weeks, did I do something wrong?'

I'm trying to figure out what to say to
A) not lose face in front of friends/her
B) understand exactly what I did wrong
C) ultimately, get her back

If you're still reading this, thanks, I'd appreciate any input anyone has to give.

Thanks again
James

contrex

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 05:03 pm
Forget her as a girlfriend. She is not interested. Neither is she suitable for you. Move on. Learn an important lesson, namely, that romances with people at work are a BAD IDEA.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 05:03 pm
Yes, she owes you an explanation - except if she just likes the chase and is bored with everything that happens afterwards.

Perhaps meeting your parents freaked her out. No need for that now. Allow her to make that when and where call.

Yup, you need to find out what's up with this gal. (Maybe you really don't want someone who can turn off like that and not talk about it.)
0 Replies

Nom de plume

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 07:10 pm
@mobbdeep1985,
You moved too fast. And whats with making out at the office in front of people? Not cool. After she had time to consider it all she decided not to continue. Respect her wishes and next time chose someone who doesn't work with you. You sound a little insecure and were trying to show everyone at the office she was yours. Stop. Work is not high school. Just be polite and do not ask her out again unless you really are a glutton for punishment.
0 Replies