Bush Faces a Revolt: from the U.S. Military

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 08:07 am
Bush may see his mission to Iraq as a holy war, but frustrated Pentagon strategists say they're being ignored and ill-treated by the administration.

Almost exactly 43 years ago, on April 21, 1961, President John F. Kennedy held a press conference to answer questions on the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion by Cuban exiles that he had approved. "There's an old saying," he said, "that victory has a hundred fathers and defeat is an orphan ... I am the responsible officer of the government and that is quite obvious." He expressed private disbelief at and disdain for his sudden rise in popularity: "The worse I do the more popular I get." He remarked to his aide Ted Sorensen: "How could I have been so far off base? All my life I've known better than to depend on the experts. How could I have been so stupid, to let them go ahead?"

On Wednesday, President Bush held only his third prime-time press conference and was asked three times whether he accepted responsibility for failing to act before Sept. 11 on warnings such as the President's Daily Brief of Aug. 6, 2001, titled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S." "I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hadn't yet," he said. "... I just haven't -- you just put me under the spot here and maybe I'm not quick -- as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one."

Bush's press conference was the culmination of his recent efforts to stanch the political wounds of his bleeding polls since the 9/11 commission had begun public hearings and the Fallujah killings of four U.S. contractors had set off a spiral of violence in Iraq. Bush had tried to divert blame by declaring that the Aug. 6 memo he was forced to declassify at the commission's insistence contained no "actionable intelligence," even though it specifically mentioned the World Trade Center, federal buildings in New York (many lodged in the WTC), and Washington as targets. Like his national security advisor, Condoleezza Rice, he claimed that because that dire memo, written by the CIA with the intention of catching his blurred attention, lacked "a time and place of an attack" it didn't prompt him to do anything.

Bush, in fact, does not read his PDBs, but has them orally summarized every morning by CIA director George Tenet. President Clinton, by contrast, read them closely and alone, preventing any aides from interpreting what he wanted to know firsthand. He extensively marked up his PDBs, demanding action on this or that, which is almost certainly the reason the Bush administration withheld his memoranda from the 9/11 commission.

"I know he doesn't read," one former Bush National Security Council staffer told me. Several other former NSC staffers corroborated his habit. It seems highly unlikely that he read the National Intelligence Estimate on WMD before the Iraq war that consigned contrary evidence and caveats that undermined the case to footnotes and fine print. There is no record that he raised any questions about the abuse of intelligence. Nor is there any evidence that he read the State Department's 17-volume report "The Future of Iraq," warning of nearly all the postwar pitfalls, that was shelved by the neocons in the Pentagon and Vice President Cheney's office. "He probably didn't even know of 'The Future of Iraq,'" said a former NSC staffer.

Nor was Bush aware of similar warnings urgently being sounded by the military's top strategic analysts. I have learned that a monograph, "Reconstructing Iraq," by the U.S. Army War College's Strategic Studies Institute, predicting in detail "possible severe security difficulties" and conflicts among Iraqis that U.S. forces "can barely comprehend," was suppressed by the Pentagon neocons, and only released to U.S. Central Command after Sen. Joseph Biden, ranking Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, directly intervened. By then, the problems foreseen were already overwhelming Iraq.

A revolt within the military against Bush is brewing. Many in the military's strategic echelon share the same feelings of being ignored and ill-treated by the administration that senior intelligence officers voice in private. "The Pentagon began with fantasy assumptions on Iraq and worked back," one of them remarked to me. Reflecting the developing consensus at that level, the Army War College has just issued a new monograph in which a senior Army strategist accuses the Bush administration of seeking to win "quickly and on the cheap" while having "either misunderstood or, worse, wished away" the predicted problems.

As the iconic image of the "war president" has tattered, another picture has emerged. Bush appears as a passive manager who enjoys sitting atop a hierarchical structure, unwilling and unable to do the hard work that a real manager has to do in order to run the largest enterprise in the world. He does not seem to absorb data unless it is presented to him in simple, crystal-clear fashion by people whose judgment he trusts. He is receptive to information that agrees with his point of view rather than information that challenges it. This therefore leads to enormous power on the part of the trusted interlocutors, who know and bolster his predilections. Thus Rice fulfills Bush's idea of the national security advisor as the comforting briefer.

At his press conference, Bush was a confusion of absolute confidence and panic. He jumbled facts and conflated threats, redoubling the vehemence of his incoherence at every mildly skeptical question. Whenever he could, he drove himself back to the safety of 9/11 -- and then disclaimed responsibility. He attempted to create a false political dichotomy between "retreat" and his own vague and evolving position on Iraq, which now appears to follow Sen. John Kerry's of granting more authority to the U.N. and bringing in NATO.

The ultimate revelation was Bush's vision of a divinely inspired apocalyptic struggle in which he is the leader of a crusade bringing the Lord's "gift." "I also have this belief, strong belief that freedom is not this country's gift to the world. Freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on the face of the earth we have an obligation to help the spread of freedom." But religious war is not part of official U.S. military doctrine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,424 • Replies: 49
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 08:45 am
infowarrior
Infowarrior, excellent and informative post from a newbie. Welcome to Able2Know, glad to have you here.

BBB
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 09:21 am
Many thanks, BBB.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 09:59 am
Well welcome infowarrior. The only problem is that enlistments and re-enlistments are exceeding expectations in all branches of service. Doesn't look like a revolt to me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:07 am
infowarrior, welcome!

Great article. It's nice to add cites or people think you wrote it yourself, though. Here's the cite for the above:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/blumenthal/2004/04/15/bush/index_np.html
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:19 am
Hi sozobe,

I thought I had pasted the link. Maybe I reversed the copy and paste key.

Thanks.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:27 am
Foxy, not to quibble, but the thrust of the article seems to be the rebellion looming from the top brass
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
This is a consequence of Rummy's new faster lighter Army. It don't work. Just because enlistsments are up doesn't mean there isn't a revolt in the command structure
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:32 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Well welcome infowarrior. The only problem is that enlistments and re-enlistments are exceeding expectations in all branches of service. Doesn't look like a revolt to me.

That is a wonderful statistic, but rather dependent upon expectations. I realize that Bush lovers have become accustomed to lowered expectations.

Our local paper ran an article a while back that printed letters and emails to family members from some of our servicemen killed in Iraq. I wish I had kept that article. The overall picture was not positive.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:40 am
Mesquite, with all due respect, the families of servicemen killed are not going to paint a positive picture. Using them as a barometer of morale is like using a fly-swatter to measure wind speed
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:42 am
Another thing. This is a brand new fresh thread posted by a new guest. How's about we keep words like Bush lovers out of it. Just to keep the rhetoric down. Huh?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:02 am
Military 'expectations' Mesquite are based on military need.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:07 am
Thanks for posting this, infowarrior (welcome to a2k), and thanks for the citation, Sozobe.

I already knew that Bush couldn't read and that he thought himself the leader of the Christian Right, brandishing God's mighty sword... but this?

Quote:
...Army War College has just issued a new monograph in which a senior Army strategist accuses the Bush administration of seeking to win "quickly and on the cheap" while having "either misunderstood or, worse, wished away" the predicted problems.

Yikes. I've mentioned before my belief that the army is being misused. There seems to be no real respect for it from this administration. The infamous quote "Bring it on!" being an unbelievable thing to say from the CoC. The pap that the military has received... slight increases in pay and cleaning up the housing... doesn't extend to caring for veterans and thoughtful troop deployments. The recent news about holding 20,000 troops from the first and third beyond their year-long stint in Iraq is extraordinary.

As an aside, the recent and extraordinaily simplified pie chart of how our tax payments will be spread included the two biggest slices as 29% for the military and 20% for debt payoff. Geez, it irritates me no end that it took less than four years to see that hole burned in the federal budget.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:22 am
I note that the article named no names or specifics but rather speculated on what probably the author hopes is happening.

GWB has no repect for the troops? That's not what I hear from members of the armed forces I've been talking to including one full colonel who happens to be a close family friend. Rumsfield is far too savvy both as military strategist and politician to go against the advice of the military commanders in the field. The only thing that is frustrating the military are the restraints imposed on it by the Bush adminisration to minimize civilian casualties. This is costing us dearly both in blood and treasure, but is necessary and the troops accept it as necessary.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:30 am
Fox:
"Rumsfield is far too savvy both as military strategist and politician to go against the advice of the military commanders in the field."

You forgot to put IMO.

IMO Rummy miscalculated and forced Tommy Franks to go against the wishes of Pentagon brass. The new streamlined Army is fine for chasing Afghan warlords but isn't suited for the heavy deployment needed in Iraq

IMO
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:44 am
Well it wasn't my opinion I was citing, though I probably should have said so. It is the opinion of the guys who have been there and/or military who are in a far better position to know than I am. I believe GWB when he says he asks the military command in Iraq to tell him what they need.

Well okay, my statement about Rumsfield's capabilities were pretty much my opinion. Point well taken.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:54 am
Well, if we are going to note the opinions of soldiers, let's take a look at the opinions of a Marine General...
Quote:
Retired Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni wondered aloud yesterday how Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld could be caught off guard by the chaos in Iraq that has killed nearly 100 Americans in recent weeks and led to his announcement that 20,000 U.S. troops would be staying there instead of returning home as planned.

"I'm surprised that he is surprised because there was a lot of us who were telling him that it was going to be thus," said Zinni, a Marine for 39 years and the former commander of the U.S. Central Command. "Anyone could know the problems they were going to see. How could they not?"...

"I think that some heads should roll over Iraq," Zinni said. "I think the president got some bad advice."...

"I've been called a traitor and a turncoat for mentioning these things," said Zinni, 60. The problems in Iraq are being caused, he said, by poor planning and shortsightedness, such as disbanding the Iraqi army and being unable to provide security.

Zinni said the United States must now rely on the U.N. to pull its "chestnuts out of the fire in Iraq."

"We're betting on the U.N., who we blew off and ridiculed during the run-up to the war," Zinni said. "Now we're back with hat in hand. It would be funny if not for the lives lost."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040416-9999-7m16zinni.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:03 pm
or this fellow perhaps...

Quote:
The book says Gen. Tommy Franks, who was in charge of the Afghan war as head of Central Command, uttered a string of obscenities when the Pentagon told him to come up with an Iraq war plan in the midst of fighting another conflict.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush secretly ordered a war plan drawn up against Iraq less than two months after U.S. forces attacked Afghanistan and was so worried the decision would cause a furor he did not tell everyone on his national security team, says a new book on his Iraq policy.

Bush feared that if news got out about the Iraq plan as U.S. forces were fighting another conflict, people would think he was too eager for war, journalist Bob Woodward writes in ``Plan of Attack,'' a behind-the-scenes account of the 16 months leading to the Iraq invasion.

Bush did not address those preparations when asked about them Friday, saying, ``I do know that it was Afghanistan that was on my mind and I didn't really start focusing on Iraq 'til later on.''

from Woodward's new book... http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/16/international/AP-Iraq-Woodward-Book.html
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:12 pm
Things that make you go ...huh!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:18 pm
This is the same General Zinni who has been opposed to U.S. policy re Iraq since 1970? The same General Zinni who led the ill-fated raid in Somalia?

Seriously, I do have a lot of respect for General Zinni who had a long and distinguished military career. There are other military leaders whom I also respect who have been critical of the U.S. policy re Iraq. Norman Schwarzkopf himself took a cautionary tone re this last initiative though he didn't flat out oppose it.

The sources I quote are those in the military who have actually been on the ground in Iraq. They in no way downplay how difficult it has been. Not one of them thinks that the U.S. (or European) media is giving an accurate image/report of what is actually going on there.
0 Replies