PTSD and Custody

bmh3255

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:22 pm
I am thinking of applying for disability because of my PTSD, but am afraid that the severity of my disorder may cause me to lose custody of my son. Sometimes I have flashbacks where I think I am being abused again. These happen 98% of the time at night when he is sleeping. Usually, if he talks to me while I'm having a flashback (which he hasn't done for years) it will snap me out of it. He is grounding for me and if we're home together I don't have flashbacks during the day. While he's at school I sometimes do have flashbacks. I don't want to apply for SSDI if it is going to cost me my son.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:32 pm
@bmh3255,
Quote:
D. THIS SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE. All of the services' content, including postings, is for informational purposes only. The service is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice, and no attorney/client privilege is to be inferred from any postings herein. Always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional with questions you have regarding a legal matter. You should not disregard professional legal advice because of something you have received from or read in the able2know service.

Consult a lawyer please. I'm sure if you look up a nonprofit legal service in your area that you can get an attorney to work probono if costs of a regular attorney are prohibitive.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:51 pm
@bmh3255,
We need to know more before we can give you our fantastic advice.
Are you male or female?
How old are you and your child, and is he male or female?
Are you divorced?
Do you work?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 02:02 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
We need to know more before we can give you our fantastic advice.
Are you male or female? How old are you and your child

What is this, did dale have a clone made of himself?

Quote:
...and is he male or female?

Son, you ain't too swift in the noggin are you?

The o.p. clearly stated the child is a son; but, that aside if you ask "is he..." then the answer would be MALE.
Are you aware that there are 2 distinct genders of people R.F.? Or that he is used for male, and she is used for female?

Thank you R.F. for lowering the overall intelligence level of the world another 3 percent by not having the decency to vegetate in your Grannie's cellar without accessing a computer.

As far as advice to the o.p., follow tsarstepan's advice and contact somebody in the field of law.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 02:21 pm
Well I've been through 7 court appearances in my life so i know a little bit about how the law works..Wink
I was also mildly abused by my old headmaster and so were half the other boys at the school but we just laughed it off and regarded him as an old perv..Smile
jespah

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 03:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree with tsarstepan.

This is a job for an attorney specializing in Family Law. I am assuming you are in some form of therapy so contact them as they are more likely to be able to help you than we are, or at least can give you a decent referral. Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 06:41 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
So you know how the law works but not pronouns?
Are you suggesting the OP should just laugh off his/her PTSD? You do realise that s/he might find that quite insulting and hurtful - especially with the little smiley at the end. I hope the other boys at your school have coped as well as you casually assume they have.
0 Replies

Peter Frouman

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 11:43 pm
@bmh3255,
As others have noted, you should find an attorney to advise you on the legal issues. The following links may be helpful.

National Alliance on Mental Illness Legal Support
http://www.nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Find_Support/Legal_Support/Legal_Resources.htm

National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives
http://www.nosscr.org/

Based on your post, it doesn't seem that there is any active legal issue or dispute before a court regarding the custody of your son and thus you would only require minimal legal services. You should be able to get a referral to an attorney who can provide a free or low-cost consultation.

However, it's very unlikely that you would lose custody of your child solely as a result of filing a Social Security Disability Insurance program claim. If there were a legal issue or dispute regarding the custody of your son, having a reliable source of income such as disability insurance payments would likely be a point in your favor.

In most jurisdictions in the United States, psychologists and psychiatrists are legally required to report credible suspicions of child abuse and/or potential harm to a child to law enforcement or child protection agencies even if their suspicion or belief is based on communications that would otherwise be confidential and privileged. Assuming you are getting treatment for PTSD and doing reasonably well, you should have nothing to worry about as if your condition posed an unacceptable risk to your son, it's likely this would already have been reported and you would know about it.
0 Replies