Why we shouldn't believe in evolution.

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:31 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

neologist wrote:

jespah wrote:
Actually, we shouldn't believe in evolution. It's not a belief, a myth, a religion or a fantasy. Use the term belief for those things, not for scientific observations that have been independently vetted and confirmed. If you want to reject them, then use terms like reject or accept. But don't muddy the waters by applying the standards of religion to those of science. They are apples and oranges.
I beg to differ. The evolutionary hypothesis cannot be subjected to the rigors of scientific method. Nobody's fault, really. It's just that no speciation event has ever been observed and no test has ever been devised.

Its just an endless series of hypotheses, guesses, if you will.
that should satisfy Frank.

You can see bacteria evolving resistance to medicines. You can see fossil records of the types of creatures which lived at different times and how they changed over time. But, hey, let's all believe a series of writings by our ancient ancestors which postulates a supernatural being.

Yes, we can see the arising of new forms and the death of old forms. But we never see a form "evolving" - forms don't evolve. They die out and others take their place.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 05:50 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
we can see the speciation of finches in the Galapogos ISlands , The Allegheny Cave rat, the Kaibab Squirrels, and the EThiopean wolves. These we can see from happenings in one or a few human generations and recorded data from several centuries past.
"Not being able to see" evolution has always been a coput for the Fundamentalists who try to insert their worldview into science.

I suppose we'll need" coal miners" for a few more centuries but I don't think an uneducated coal miner is a capable spokesman for evolution denial .

Seeing fossils in subsequent and adjacent strata of rock leads us to a "Conclusion" of evolutionary change over time. So far the Creationists haven't been able to cobble a compelling argument against these data. They've tried, but they've chosen their wordlview, POORLY.

Im always a bit skeptical over Brits who state that you dint have the same problems with a resurgent Creationist batch of religions in your country, yet most of th really wacky ID and Creation pushers seem to be Brit.

The Brits have a problem in their own education system if such science denial becomes mainstream, especially with all the Orthodox Muslim immigrants.

This clown represents a major problem in educating our kids . Kids are like sponges and will take up any cockamaymee silliness if presented with enough cartoons and simple minded explanations where thinking can be avoided and there is no "math requirement"
You need to enshrine the scientific method as a cornerstone of your science programs .
In the US we have a minor "flight to private parochial schools" that don't have any rigorous science requirements. Many of these and some Charter schools teach biology from the BIBLE and then wonder why kids have IQs lower than their pets. Then, to add to the sadness, they have their own "Higher Education" establishments that teach biology as a non accredited " pseudoscience" full of Biblical superstition and lies.

Its no wonder we have clowns like tho guy on board. We are allowing education to avoid excellence and , instead, become steeped in intolerance, superstition, and fraud.

Don't say I didn't warn you, You've gotta get involved in yur local ed boards and demand oversight in your science (and history) requirements
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 06:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

we can see the speciation of finches in the Galapogos ISlands , The Allegheny Cave rat, the Kaibab Squirrels, and the EThiopean wolves. These we can see from happenings in one or a few human generations and recorded data from several centuries past.
"Not being able to see" evolution has always been a coput for the Fundamentalists who try to insert their worldview into science.

I suppose we'll need" coal miners" for a few more centuries but I don't think an uneducated coal miner is a capable spokesman for evolution denial .

Seeing fossils in subsequent and adjacent strata of rock leads us to a "Conclusion" of evolutionary change over time. So far the Creationists haven't been able to cobble a compelling argument against these data. They've tried, but they've chosen their wordlview, POORLY.

Im always a bit skeptical over Brits who state that you dint have the same problems with a resurgent Creationist batch of religions in your country, yet most of th really wacky ID and Creation pushers seem to be Brit.

The Brits have a problem in their own education system if such science denial becomes mainstream, especially with all the Orthodox Muslim immigrants.

This clown represents a major problem in educating our kids . Kids are like sponges and will take up any cockamaymee silliness if presented with enough cartoons and simple minded explanations where thinking can be avoided and there is no "math requirement"
You need to enshrine the scientific method as a cornerstone of your science programs .
In the US we have a minor "flight to private parochial schools" that don't have any rigorous science requirements. Many of these and some Charter schools teach biology from the BIBLE and then wonder why kids have IQs lower than their pets. Then, to add to the sadness, they have their own "Higher Education" establishments that teach biology as a non accredited " pseudoscience" full of Biblical superstition and lies.

Its no wonder we have clowns like tho guy on board. We are allowing education to avoid excellence and , instead, become steeped in intolerance, superstition, and fraud.

Don't say I didn't warn you, You've gotta get involved in yur local ed boards and demand oversight in your science (and history) requirements

We never see a form evolving, not because we don't see them, but because forms don't evolve, they die out, and others take their place.

So you see I'm not arguing against the fossil record.

I'm also not the slightest bit interested in religious or biblical texts and interpretations of that record, nor am I interested in the battle between religion and science in schools and text-books.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 06:59 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Quote:
We never see a form evolving

If you wish to debate and be credible, first learn what you are talking about. Ive even failed to discuss evolution of simpler life forms. The Grant project that has been viewing finch evolution for almost 50 years has recorded several. That a fact.

Quote:
but because forms don't evolve, they die out

So , your mother died before you were born? You don't make much sense with this one , unless you say that all life is some form of "immaculate Conception"
If you break the line of succession from parents to offspring, we call that "EXTINCTION"

Quote:
So you see I'm not arguing against the fossil record.
You have no argument to aid in your denial of it eh?

Quote:

I'm also not the slightest bit interested in religious or biblical texts and interpretations of that record, nor am I interested in the battle between religion and science in schools and text-books.

I am. Idiocy that you attempt to expound is poor science and seems to be popular among a certain batch of luddites who cant accept scientific evidence (Partly because they don't take the effort to understand it). You may not be interested in how young minds are fucked with by your silly worldviews, that's my area. We have enough challenges with a growing technology base and scientific discovery. To deny them based upon ignorance is like "not believing in TV because you don't understand quantum theory"

This is a public forum and anyone os welcome to present their beliefs and comments (no matter how silly). I cant stop you, but I and others are also allowed to comment on how fact-free your worldview is.

AND, I hope some kids are reading to see what a silly belief is evolution denial.

As Izzy said in another post, You've probably never seen an atom but you "believe the facts" of Atomic theory. NO?

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 10:36 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

jespah wrote:
Actually, we shouldn't believe in evolution. It's not a belief, a myth, a religion or a fantasy. Use the term belief for those things, not for scientific observations that have been independently vetted and confirmed. If you want to reject them, then use terms like reject or accept. But don't muddy the waters by applying the standards of religion to those of science. They are apples and oranges.
I beg to differ. The evolutionary hypothesis cannot be subjected to the rigors of scientific method. Nobody's fault, really. It's just that no speciation event has ever been observed and no test has ever been devised.

Then you don't understand the scientific method. It already has been subjected to the rigors of the scientific method and has passed (and continues to pass) with flying colors every single time (and has been doing so for over a hundred years).

Biological Evolution is considered by many scientists as the single most meaningful, valuable, well developed and well supported scientific theories known to humanity.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 11:25 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I dare the original poster to state the theory of evolution. A minimum prerequisite for informed debate is to be able to state your opponent's position correctly.

There is no definition.

So, you're asserting that a belief which you cannot state is false. You lose. Go ahead with the allegedly witty comebacks. You've lost the argument.

Quite right. A logical observation, one that I was aware of from the start. That is why I indicated that I cannot believe in evolution because nothing coherent has been presented for me to believe in.

You cannot state your debating opponent's position, but you assert that it is wrong. The theory of evolution has long been stated clearly in many, many places, free for you to look at, but you haven't bothered. You've skipped right to "it's wrong." Someone who cannot even state his debating opponent's position loses. You lose.

In order for you to have won, you would have had to know what the theory of evolution is and then given an argument that it is incorrect. You don't know what the theory is and merely repeat over and over that it's wrong. By any standard of logic or debate, you lose the argument.

I'm not saying that evolution is factually wrong, or right for that matter. I'm saying that there is no single, coherent topic that is called "evolution".

Too bad you didn't check, because the whole theory can be stated in a paragraph or so. You, apparently, can't state it, therefore, you have exactly zero right to say that it's wrong. A minimum prerequisite for debate is to be able to correctly state your opponent's position.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 11:27 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

neologist wrote:

jespah wrote:

You can see bacteria evolving resistance to medicines. You can see fossil records of the types of creatures which lived at different times and how they changed over time. But, hey, let's all believe a series of writings by our ancient ancestors which postulates a supernatural being.

Yes, we can see the arising of new forms and the death of old forms. But we never see a form "evolving" - forms don't evolve. They die out and others take their place.

Nonsense. The adaptation of bacteria to antibiotics is evolution. Too bad you never bothered to acquaint yourself with the theory.
neologist

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 11:53 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Nonsense. The adaptation of bacteria to antibiotics is evolution. Too bad you never bothered to acquaint yourself with the theory.
Evolution, yes. Speciation, no. They are still variations of the same bacteria. To avoid confusion, I prefer to use the word 'adaptation'.
neologist

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 11:54 am
@rosborne979,
See above
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 12:08 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Evolution, yes. Speciation, no. They are still variations of the same bacteria. To avoid confusion, I prefer to use the word 'adaptation'.

I'm not sure bacteria are typically divided into "species" they way more complex organisms are. Do you know? Or are simply objecting to the general idea of not observing a change in "species" within a short geological timeframe (ie human lifetime)? Because I suspect we can also come up with a species change within this timeframe, but I'm afraid that you will then object because it's not a genus change, and on and on we'll go until you require some type of change which requires a timeframe over 1000 years. None of which is relevant of course because we don't have to observe species change in order to prove (scientifically) that evolution (macro or micro, whatever you like) is happening and has happened.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 12:19 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Well, you have a point about different types of creatures. But, of course, you refer to them as creatures and have not yet shown any examples of speciation.

So how do you subject the Bible to scientific method which involves testing? Part of the challenge is that the Bible was not written as a scientific treatise to be understood only by intellectuals.

This is one method I use:
Regarding prophecy, many have objected that Biblical prophecies are merely history disguised as prophecy by subsequent writers. The conquest of Babylon by Cyrus is taken as an example. But additional prophecy about Babylon tells that the city would be permanently destroyed, never to be rebuilt. The city was still in existence in the first century, long after the writings could have been subject to tampering. It's gone now. To be fair, I don't submit this example as certainty, rather as a touchstone for Bible examination.

There are many bible passages which present themselves as conundrums to a student. Each may and should be subject to similar scrutiny by any who search for the true God. Of course, one must first allow there may be a true God for whom to search. The study of evolution denies that approach upfront.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 12:47 pm
@neologist,
Prof. B. F. Skinner, in Beyond Freedom and Dignity, expresses approval of the sort of sanctions applied in Leviticus which the sub-scientifics make great play of in their uneducated solipsistic twaddle.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 12:56 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

You wish. Evolution causes gradual change. When enough change has accumulated, we simply say that it's a new species. For most macroscopic species, this takes hundreds of thousands of years. You try to find minor scientific defects in the theory of evolution so that you can believe a book written by our ancient, primitive ancestors that talks about magic. On the scale on which you're trying to criticize the theory of evolution, ancient legends of magic would be off the chart.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 01:04 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Well, you have a point about different types of creatures. But, of course, you refer to them as creatures and have not yet shown any examples of speciation.

So how do you subject the Bible to scientific method which involves testing? Part of the challenge is that the Bible was not written as a scientific treatise to be understood only by intellectuals.

This is one method I use:
Regarding prophecy, many have objected that Biblical prophecies are merely history disguised as prophecy by subsequent writers. The conquest of Babylon by Cyrus is taken as an example. But additional prophecy about Babylon tells that the city would be permanently destroyed, never to be rebuilt. The city was still in existence in the first century, long after the writings could have been subject to tampering. It's gone now. To be fair, I don't submit this example as certainty, rather as a touchstone for Bible examination.

There are many bible passages which present themselves as conundrums to a student. Each may and should be subject to similar scrutiny by any who search for the true God. Of course, one must first allow there may be a true God for whom to search. The study of evolution denies that approach upfront.

Here's an example of evolution of one species into another, which are merely arbitrary milestones applied when the accumulated small changes are sufficiently large - australopithecus into homo habilis. That particular transition took almost two million years.

You search for tiny evidentiary flaws in the theory of evolution, but suggest we believe a collection of ancient writings that talk about magic. Show me evidence that anything in the Bible really happened (much less all of it).
neologist

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 02:14 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
. . . . Show me evidence that anything in the Bible really happened (much less all of it).
Well, the earth is here. Sorry for the facetiousness. I'll be back for more fun after the game.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 03:45 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
. . . . Show me evidence that anything in the Bible really happened (much less all of it).
Well, the earth is here. Sorry for the facetiousness. I'll be back for more fun after the game.

It's great that you have a sense of humor. It's unfortunate that you use it primarily as a dodge to escape from a point you can't address.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:52 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

neologist wrote:

jespah wrote:

Forms don't evolve - they die and others take their place. That's the first obvious truth that is dropped in evolution debates.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 05:46 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

The existence of the Earth can be explained in many ways. Again, if you are going to try to ferret out tiny evidentiary holes in the theory of evolution, then the Bible should be rejected at once as lacking a scrap of evidence to support any of it.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 05:59 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

neologist wrote:

jespah wrote:

Forms don't evolve - they die and others take their place. That's the first obvious truth that is dropped in evolution debates.

Then why is there always movement by bacteria in the direction of resistance to medicine, as opposed to, say, greater vulnerability?

Since you are utterly unable to state what evolution claims, I will state it. Living creatures which are better adapted to their environment tend statistically to survive more often. Therefore, traits which help a life form survive tend to spread through the gene pool, whereas bad traits tend to be edited out over time. Combining this with the occasional introduction of new traits by genetic accidents, the result is that over time, creatures become more and more suited to survival. This is how all existing species got to be what they are today. That's the theory of evolution.

When bacterial infections are treated with medicine, the first thing that happens is that some bacteria die before others do. The ones that last longer do so because of some combination of luck and a greater constitutional capacity to resist the drug. If some of them spread to other hosts before the sick person has killed all of them, statistically, it tends to be the ones that are hard to kill. Over time, the bacteria that are highly vulnerable to existing medicines die out and the ones that can resist more spread through the world. Combine this with the occasional introduction of a new trait by genetic mistake, and you have the bacteria in the world getting better and better at resisting the meds we have. This is exactly what is meant by evolution and is the exact same mechanism responsible for the development of the species we see in the world today.

All you seem able to do is repeat "no, no, no."
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 06:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

neologist wrote:

jespah wrote:

Then why is there always movement by bacteria in the direction of resistance to medicine, as opposed to, say, greater vulnerability?

Since you are utterly unable to state what evolution claims, I will state it. Living creatures which are better adapted to their environment tend statistically to survive more often. Therefore, traits which help a life form survive tend to spread through the gene pool, whereas bad traits tend to be edited out over time. Combining this with the occasional introduction of new traits by genetic accidents, the result is that over time, creatures become more and more suited to survival. This is how all existing species got to be what they are today. That's the theory of evolution.

When bacterial infections are treated with medicine, the first thing that happens is that some bacteria die before others do. The ones that last longer do so because of some combination of luck and a greater constitutional capacity to resist the drug. If some of them spread to other hosts before the sick person has killed all of them, statistically, it tends to be the ones that are hard to kill. Over time, the bacteria that are highly vulnerable to existing medicines die out and the ones that can resist more spread through the world. Combine this with the occasional introduction of a new trait by genetic mistake, and you have the bacteria in the world getting better and better at resisting the meds we have. This is exactly what is meant by evolution and is the exact same mechanism responsible for the development of the species we see in the world today.

All you seem able to do is repeat "no, no, no."

Evolutionists have a hard time with this. Forms die out. That's a fact that must be entered into the debate. Species become extinct and others take their place. Death happens. Death must happen, and does happen. There's no "evolving" into something else.

Careers and personalities evolve. Species and individuals do not.
Death trumps evolution. Period.

see new post about traits