Why we shouldn't believe in evolution.

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:12 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

farmerman wrote:

I understand they hand out great tankards of amontillado to warm you up before going afield. Very English, get em loaded then give em a gun

Don't knock amontillado, I like a drop of that!

I have a whole cask of it I can show you.
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 03:28 pm
@Brandon9000,
Let me guess . . . it's in the cellar, right next to your pile of bricks and mortar.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 04:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I dare the original poster to state the theory of evolution. A minimum prerequisite for informed debate is to be able to state your opponent's position correctly.

There is no definition.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 05:06 pm
As Jespah has already suggested, evolution is not a matter of belief. Nor, for that matter, is evolution a theory. When scientists discuss 'evolutionary theory', they are discussing how the fact of evolution operates in the biosphere, not if or whether.

Evolution is a fact of life.
Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 05:20 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Actually, we shouldn't believe in evolution.
Not necessarily so, see here for one of the possible definitions of belief:
Quote:
3: conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/belief
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 05:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
but it is also a theory. A theory surrounds a "Body of facts and evidence" that supports an explanation of a phenomenaon.
IN FACT
A theory is fact. The dictionary gives several definitions and , in the American Collegiate, the first definition for a theory is, as Ive presented above, but the SECOND definition states that a theory is a "proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural". The problem with these overlapping hierarchical definitions is that most people don't recognize the robust factual basis of the word "THEORY" when used in science. Think ATOMIC THEORY, or CONTINENTAL DRIFT THEORY or GERM THEORY.

Its a bitch when words get coopted for different ends. Look at how the English language has been fucked with to satisfy computer geeks.

If I gotta learn the differences of language in computerese, then the damn IDERS better learn the meaning of theory when used by science.

THIS IS NOT NEGOTIABLE
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 05:54 pm
@farmerman,
I once had a woman, a fundamentalist 'born-again' Christian,tell me, "After all, evolution is just a theory"

I told her: "Sure. Now you want to tell the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that atomic theory is just a theory? I mean,nobody has ever actually seen an atom."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:00 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Let me guess . . . it's in the cellar, right next to your pile of bricks and mortar.

Yup.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:02 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I dare the original poster to state the theory of evolution. A minimum prerequisite for informed debate is to be able to state your opponent's position correctly.

There is no definition.

So, you're asserting that a belief which you cannot state is false. You lose. Go ahead with the allegedly witty comebacks. You've lost the argument.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:02 pm
@Brandon9000,
Somehow I just got hungry for a Poe boy sammich
spendius

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:12 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
THIS IS NOT NEGOTIABLE

What's all the fuss about then?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:16 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Somehow I just got hungry for a Poe boy sammich

I can think up a lot better excuses that that simple squib.

No wonder the public doesn't trust you fuckers.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

As Jespah has already suggested, evolution is not a matter of belief. Nor, for that matter, is evolution a theory. When scientists discuss 'evolutionary theory', they are discussing how the fact of evolution operates in the biosphere, not if or whether.

Evolution is a fact of life.

There are no facts of evolution, just as there are no facts of religion.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:51 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

There is no definition.

So, you're asserting that a belief which you cannot state is false. You lose. Go ahead with the allegedly witty comebacks. You've lost the argument.

Quite right. A logical observation, one that I was aware of from the start. That is why I indicated that I cannot believe in evolution because nothing coherent has been presented for me to believe in.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:58 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

There is no definition.

Quite right. A logical observation, one that I was aware of from the start. That is why I indicated that I cannot believe in evolution because nothing coherent has been presented for me to believe in.

You cannot state your debating opponent's position, but you assert that it is wrong. The theory of evolution has long been stated clearly in many, many places, free for you to look at, but you haven't bothered. You've skipped right to "it's wrong." Someone who cannot even state his debating opponent's position loses. You lose.

In order for you to have won, you would have had to know what the theory of evolution is and then given an argument that it is incorrect. You don't know what the theory is and merely repeat over and over that it's wrong. By any standard of logic or debate, you lose the argument.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 07:00 pm
@Brandon9000,
There's a way round that, you know, Brandon. The Corgi simply refuses to admit defeat or accept loss and that's that. What's logic got to do with it anyway?
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 07:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
There's a way round that, you know, Brandon. The Corgi simply refuses to admit defeat or accept loss and that's that. What's logic got to do with it anyway?

It's the argument of a child. Just keep repeating "no" without actually trying to establish the merit of your position.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 01:04 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Actually, we shouldn't believe in evolution. It's not a belief, a myth, a religion or a fantasy. Use the term belief for those things, not for scientific observations that have been independently vetted and confirmed. If you want to reject them, then use terms like reject or accept. But don't muddy the waters by applying the standards of religion to those of science. They are apples and oranges.
I beg to differ. The evolutionary hypothesis cannot be subjected to the rigors of scientific method. Nobody's fault, really. It's just that no speciation event has ever been observed and no test has ever been devised.

Its just an endless series of hypotheses, guesses, if you will.
that should satisfy Frank.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 01:36 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

jespah wrote:
Actually, we shouldn't believe in evolution. It's not a belief, a myth, a religion or a fantasy. Use the term belief for those things, not for scientific observations that have been independently vetted and confirmed. If you want to reject them, then use terms like reject or accept. But don't muddy the waters by applying the standards of religion to those of science. They are apples and oranges.
I beg to differ. The evolutionary hypothesis cannot be subjected to the rigors of scientific method. Nobody's fault, really. It's just that no speciation event has ever been observed and no test has ever been devised.

Its just an endless series of hypotheses, guesses, if you will.
that should satisfy Frank.

You can see bacteria evolving resistance to medicines. You can see fossil records of the types of creatures which lived at different times and how they changed over time. But, hey, let's all believe a series of writings by our ancient ancestors which postulates a supernatural being.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:29 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

There is no definition.

You cannot state your debating opponent's position, but you assert that it is wrong. The theory of evolution has long been stated clearly in many, many places, free for you to look at, but you haven't bothered. You've skipped right to "it's wrong." Someone who cannot even state his debating opponent's position loses. You lose.

In order for you to have won, you would have had to know what the theory of evolution is and then given an argument that it is incorrect. You don't know what the theory is and merely repeat over and over that it's wrong. By any standard of logic or debate, you lose the argument.

I'm not saying that evolution is factually wrong, or right for that matter. I'm saying that there is no single, coherent topic that is called "evolution".