Is agentic pronounced as /əgentik/?

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 02:25 am

Context:
Professor Milgram elaborated two theories

The first is the theory of conformism, based on Solomon Asch conformity experiments, describing the fundamental relationship between the group of reference and the individual person. A subject who has neither ability nor expertise to make decisions, especially in a crisis, will leave decision making to the group and its hierarchy. The group is the person's behavioral model.
The second is the agentic state theory, wherein, per Milgram, "the essence of obedience consists in the fact that a person comes to view themselves as the instrument for carrying out another person's wishes, and they therefore no longer see themselves as responsible for their actions. Once this critical shift of viewpoint has occurred in the person, all of the essential features of obedience follow".[23
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,609 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Lordyaswas
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 03:24 am
@oristarA,
Although this is probably a recognised word, I can honestly say that in all the years I have been talking in, reading in and listening to the English language, I have never, ever come across the word 'agentic' before. Ever. For the record, I have been an Englishman, living in England ever since conception, apart from a few short holidays abroad.

I therefore surmise that this is one of those modern 'office speak' gobbledegook words, and said Professor was using it to sound clever.

After this thread has died, I shall no doubt carry on and complete my life, never encountering it again.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 05:32 am
@oristarA,
Maybe /'edʒəntik/
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 05:34 am
@oristarA,
I've never heard of that either. Very Happy
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 05:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
Fancy theory needs fancy sound. Wink
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 05:44 am
@oristarA,
I'll have to think outside the box, stick a few ideas in the toaster and see what pops out on this one, I reckon.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 09:24 am
@Lordyaswas,
Wanna bet? I'm tempted to use it every time I respond to one of your posts.

That's how sad I am.
0 Replies