Why do people deny evolution?

Quehoniaomath

Fri 23 May, 2014 01:05 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Actually, I do get it. I'm just letting everyone else understand it as well.

You don't seem to get it yet.

yep, and I can sell you bridge on the moon for under $ 5!

you talking crap now, mate.
georgeob1

Fri 23 May, 2014 01:19 pm
@farmerman,
I had an amusing experience at Rocky Flats Co in the late '90s. We were negotiating closure criteria for the site with EPA Region 8. They raised the issue of Plutonium contamination in the soil at the site - hard to deny in that there was the unmistakable signature of Americium gamma decay (it is a Plutonium decay product) in the soil. The inferred concentration was vanishingly low (about 1/100,000th that of the naturally occurring Thorium, but EPA's demanded remedy was the removal of the top meter of soil from a 2mile by 2 mile reservation - about 12 million cubic yards. The potential human health hazard was vanishingly small and well below that already presented by naturally occurring elements in the soil around the Rocky Mountains but the EPA folks were insistent,

We pointed out using, NTSB statistics, the hundreds of deaths that would occur as a result of the truck traffic, and noted the inherent silliness of simply dumping the stud in the Utah desert, but to no avail. One of my deputies then pointed out that a new and "threatened" subspecies of jumping mouse had just been named -- the "Prebles Meadow Jumping Mouse " and it inhabited the foothills around the Front Range, including Rocky Flats.

So we set up Fish & Wildlife against the EPA and the Mouse won ! Years later I accidentally came across an obscure note in a journal noting that the formerly known distinct subspecies of jumping mouse, known as the Preble Meadows mouse was found not to have been a subspecies at all. I thought to myself "that's OK mouse, you did your job."
spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 01:47 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
A decade ago our government shutdown

And why do you think a bunch of hard-nosed politicians did a thing like that George? Negative Pork maybe. We know they don't care about the voters so why should we think they care for Spotted Owls. The Environmentalist Zealots don't either.

It's all a big act to draw attention to people whilst they display their compassion and empathy with the creatures in a socially acceptable manner. And get on TV.

There's a madness around which manifests itself as an obsessive desire to be on TV. I can't understand it. I was mortified when I saw myself on a screen once and that production wasn't even being broadcast.

Trace the dynamics back to the creative moment.

(Insert expletives to taste in first para.)

parados

Fri 23 May, 2014 01:58 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
I'm not buying your bridge or your attempt to sell evolution can't happen voodoo. They are both worthless to anyone but you.

But I'm not surprised that you would be willing to sell the roof over your head. It's what you still don't quite get.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 02:00 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
ALL SPECIES ARE HELD CAPTIVE IN THEIR TIME CAPSULE AND ENVIRONMENTAL NICHE.

Oswald Spengler remarks somewhere that evolution is constantly in danger of banality and triviality breaking through.

Banalities and trivialities are often shouted. fm is trying to reassure himself that the stunning insight he has had is of some value. Hence him saying that he's only in it for the dough.

It's Pagan ****. Faustian Man is bursting all bounds imposed by silly old nasty Nature even if he kills himself doing so.

Like Bob said--"We're goin' all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn."

How on earth did the US produce a poet like Dylan?

The thread is concerned with a creative moment. And untangling the dynamics of the Save the Spotted Owl movement is difficult enough. It wan't "just there" when it first came to your notice.

0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 23 May, 2014 02:10 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
So, according to your own rule: You cannot answer anything
I only assume that you are unabe to carry on anything that approximates an intelligent conversation, and please don't cal me "mate". You are not worth knowing.
farmerman

Fri 23 May, 2014 02:39 pm
@georgeob1,
sent you a note by submarine mail.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 03:05 pm
@parados,
Quote:
I'm just letting everyone else understand it as well.

I don't get it para and I'm part of "everyone". I thought I might have got it once but now I'm not at all sure.

Will you explain what it is so that a cloth-headed mutt like me can find out what you and Q are disputing.

You know he has to agree that the lottery has been won. It's a rhetorical question and thus needs no answer.

As I understand things we are each of us 200,000,000 to 1 at our conception. Not that I think the odds are that high. About 100,000,000 I should say if the agitation is perfect and in normal conditions as I assume they were in the vast bulk of mankind's evolution.

So everyone you see could be used to make whatever point it is you are making. I know some will say they know what the point is but that might be because they don't want you to think they are idiots and to inform us all about it.
spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 03:07 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
NATURE BATS LAST-Dave Raup

Chickenshit!!
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 03:19 pm
@georgeob1,
But George--think of the contracts for shifting 12 million cubic yards of dirt out into the desert.

Have you no compassion for plant hire contractors and tipper truck owners and their offshoots?

"One of my deputies" eh? I'm awed all te ****. You can't resist it can you. "A pal" would be just as good and 11 letters less.
georgeob1

Fri 23 May, 2014 03:20 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
A decade ago our government shutdown

And why do you think a bunch of hard-nosed politicians did a thing like that George? Negative Pork maybe. We know they don't care about the voters so why should we think they care for Spotted Owls. The Environmentalist Zealots don't either.

It's all a big act to draw attention to people whilst they display their compassion and empathy with the creatures in a socially acceptable manner. And get on TV.

Possibly, but I think it is more often the delusion of self-appointed (and usually incompetent) idiots who believe they can reform the world and humanity. If your self-appointed goal is to create a perfect world or whatever, you can rationalize doing just about anything to get there.

Careerism also plays a role. If you are an academic on the make and applying for a grant for research, the further study of global warming (or climate change as they now call it since the earth hasn't been warming in accordance with their predictions) is a good bet for the sought after money from the mindless bureaucrats who control such things,
georgeob1

Fri 23 May, 2014 03:22 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

ou can't resist it can you. "A pal" would be just as good and 11 letters less.

This stuff does appear to roil you up. I think the mote is in your eye not mine. He was my deputy.
spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 03:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
You are not worth knowing.

That's no way to talk about a fellow debater fm. It's vulgar. Coarse even.
0 Replies

parados

Fri 23 May, 2014 03:28 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

As I understand things we are each of us 200,000,000 to 1 at our conception. Not that I think the odds are that high. About 100,000,000 I should say if the agitation is perfect and in normal conditions as I assume they were in the vast bulk of mankind's evolution.

The odds may have been 200,000,000 to 1 for you being the one that was conceived out of all the others that might have won the race but only a fool would argue that a woman will only get pregnant 1 out of every 200,000,000 times based on the fact that you were the winner that day.
spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 03:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Possibly, but I think it is more often the delusion of self-appointed (and usually incompetent) idiots who believe they can reform the world and humanity. If your self-appointed goal is to create a perfect world or whatever, you can rationalize doing just about anything to get there.

Careerism also plays a role. If you are an academic on the make and applying for a grant for research, the further study of global warming (or climate change as they now call it since the earth hasn't been warming in accordance with their predictions) is a good bet for the sought after money from the mindless bureaucrats who control such things,

In the light of common sense, George, I think you ought to rephrase that leaving out the value judgements.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 05:01 pm
@parados,
Quote:
The odds may have been 200,000,000 to 1 for you being the one that was conceived out of all the others that might have won the race but only a fool would argue that a woman will only get pregnant 1 out of every 200,000,000 times based on the fact that you were the winner that day.

But I was a lottery winner wasn't I? Not that I think the prize all that great mind you. It couldn't have been talent could it? I have always put it down to Tom Finney missing a penalty in a home cup-tie thus necessitating a replay at the away team's ground and my father's 30 mile journey to see it.

I assume you were also a lottery winner. But a test tube is a possibility and I suppose the odds might be much reduced in that event.

spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 05:08 pm
@spendius,
Darwin's conception was probably the result of an interest in the abolition of slavery in the two families from which he was sprung.
0 Replies

parados

Fri 23 May, 2014 05:17 pm
@spendius,
Of course you were a winner which is why the argument Q is making against evolution is a loser.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 23 May, 2014 05:18 pm
@parados,
there are up to 500 million sperm cells in each ejaculate. Assuming that spendi sperm is "lucky" and its acrosome dissolves the cuticle of his mamas egg, then he truly is 1 out of 500 million. That's doesn't anywhere indicate that the chances of life are 1:500,000,000 per shot. The chances for life emerging are almost 65%. Would the world miss a spendi? what if his mama gve birth to a great artist or scientist instead of a consumer of stouts and bitters.
spendius

Fri 23 May, 2014 05:23 pm
@farmerman,
Sheesh!! That was a lucky escape.

Do you think the winner stamped down some artists and scientists to win the race?