Why do people deny evolution?

OldGrumpy

Sat 25 May, 2019 01:32 pm
@coluber2001,
religion???? what are you talking about? where do I mention that?

You so don't get it.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Sat 25 May, 2019 04:11 pm
@coluber2001,
I wasn't asking you directly. I was just posing the question.
OldGrumpy

Sat 25 May, 2019 11:23 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
I wasn't asking you directly. I was just posing the question.

Right, and without any clue what you are trying to talk about,

Figures.
laughoutlood

Sun 26 May, 2019 07:43 am
@OldGrumpy,
This shtick's a sea-lioning
Sargasso of opining
All regurgitated muck
Ever trolling mindless truculence

Yes he does blow it outa his head
Gentle breezes flow outa his head
The brain's in a sea that is fed
And refilled with tripe others have said

Oh yeah yeah yeah

OldGrumpy

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:10 am
@laughoutlood,
that is all you got?????????????????????????????????

gee..
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 07:33 am
PBS show, ""When Whales walked" was a well done popular analyses of four animal groups and how evolution works in a random hit or miss fashion.

It also displayed the way that extinction can select survivors of the cluster of animals that seem to share a common ancestor.

It spent much of its time debunking , through evidence of the fossil record and genetic association, a belief in a "linear evolutionary pathway"

It was another BBC work that was an excellent jargon-free documentary.

HabibUrrehman

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 10:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Re: edgarblythe (Post 5522001)
edgarblythe wrote:

Many religious equate evolution with atheism. They can't accept atheism and so they find themselves rejecting good science. That one can accept both deism and evolution does not affect their perception.

Wow, Edgar. I loved that! They are not mutually exclusive.

Darwin never said that man came from ape! This is a mistaken concept that most people are not aware of. All what Darwin said was that he noticed that some species of animals evolve into different forms so as to adapt to their habitat.
When Darwin visited the Galapagos Islands, he wrote letters to his friend saying that he noticed that some species of birds have developed longer beaks because they lived by the water and used their beaks to catch small fish, and so on.
So Darwin's Evolution speaks about development that takes places within the same species (e.g. birds). Darwin never wrote, directly or indirectly, that he thought that one species evolves into another species, thus birds will never become rabbits, nor will humans become apes. Despite this, many people have attributed to Darwin what he never said!
As a result, many have tried to find fossils of ancient apes and also ancient humans, and tried to link them together, but all these attempts were unsuccessful. Thus the term: "The missing link".
The Quran states that the human being was indeed created (not evolved from apes), and that the human being underwent various stages of evolution, and thus evolution is verified in the Quran.
"He is the One who created you in stages." 71:14
This glorious verse can be interpreted in two different ways, both of which are correct:
1- The human embryo goes through various stages of development inside the womb before becoming a fully grown creature.
2- The human being, as a species, went through various stages of development through time. Thus the 21st century human being is much more advanced than the human being who lived 5000 years ago, and so on.

There is no clash in Quran and theory of evolution.
izzythepush

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 10:28 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

PBS show,

It was another BBC work that was an excellent jargon-free documentary.

So what was it, PBS or BBC because they're not the same thing?
farmerman

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:15 am
@izzythepush,
PBS is also a marketing agent besides being a content provider. Its a corporation that produces AND presents all kinds of stuff. PBS presents Canadian, Brit, Australian, and other EU content (like Dutch German and Italian music presentations).

Did you see the "When Whales Walkd" progrm??? It does a very good job of explaining to folk like the deeply religious how adapttion, selection, AND Extnction are inclusive engines of evolution.

MontereyJack

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:26 am
@farmerman,
Saw "WWW" ON PBS last night by chance and thought it was pretty good. Sure blows gungasnakes cavils on bird evolution out of the water. Are you watching, snake?
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:30 am
@HabibUrrehman,
Darwin never used the word APE as an ancestor. However, in his book, "THE DESCENT OF MAN...SEXUAL SELECTION" He used the term "Savage Races". Which were his "code words" for common ancestry with apes. SO, his fear of upsetting the religious leaders in England, he used code words but his use of common ancestry with mqndrils and baboons was not an ovrsight.

Id suggest you read "The DEscent of Man"
All religions want to get a piece of Darwin and all are pretty much full of crap.
So believe as you will and Ill take the science path. Darwin wasnt a fool . He knew hed be hung to dry if he poked at organized religions.
Im sure he also had the Muslemen in mind .

We agree to disagree
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:33 am
@HabibUrrehman,
Quote:
There is no clash in Quran and theory of evolution
except when it comes to origins, speciation and species radiation, extinction of species "bottlenecking", and genomics.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:36 am
@farmerman,
I haven't seen it. Over here PBS America is a satellite channel up with all the other documentaries.

It only shows its own stuff, nothing by the BBC.

You've not answered my question, is it BBC or PBS? Did PBS show a BBC programme or did they make it together?
farmerman

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:56 am
@izzythepush,
. It was a PBS channel showing BBC production content. HMM ,I went back and readmy response , yeahI guess I was not so clear. Sorry.
oralloy

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:58 am
@HabibUrrehman,
HabibUrrehman wrote:
Darwin never said that man came from ape! This is a mistaken concept that most people are not aware of. All what Darwin said was that he noticed that some species of animals evolve into different forms so as to adapt to their habitat.

It would be more accurate to say that man transformed from one form of ape into another form of ape. But we do come from ape ancestry.

Why? What's wrong with mankind being apes? Would you prefer it if we were birds?
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 12:12 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
So what was it, PBS or BBC because they're not the same thing?

PBS often rebroadcasts British TV in the US.

I didn't notice that this particular program was produced by the BBC, but I didn't really pay attention to the credits.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 12:33 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, you do have a tendency to be a bit cryptic sometimes.
farmerman

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 04:33 pm
@izzythepush,
Turns out I was wr.... wr..... wr..... ,not correct "When Whales Walked" was a production of the Twin Cities Production Co . Its a US/Canadian outfit, not BBC.

Maybe thats why it was entertaining to everyone I talked with today. It was done in a popular style and not an Instructive mode like most of the BBC docs.

izzythepush

Thu 20 Jun, 2019 04:53 pm
@farmerman,
There's more of a need for it over there. Evolution denial isn't really a thing over here.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Sat 22 Jun, 2019 03:17 pm
@JimmyJ,
Bullsnot. There is nothing about evolution that has been proved. Every bit of evidence offered has turned out to be a hoax. Nothing is known relating to the subject; there are only articles of belief that must be accepted without actual proof.

The first step in the scientific method is "Observe something." Evolution has never been observed, so it is not science: it is fiction. That is why people deny it.