Why do people deny evolution?

Leadfoot

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 12:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You don't speak for yourself.

Oh please...

Quote:
If you genuinely want to set yourself apart from the more fundamentalist posters you need to challenge them as much as you do FM. Seriously.

I have done that when the issue was science or logic based. I don't get involved in religious arguments when those are used, this is supposed to be science and logic based discussion so I don't go there unless someone specifically asks a religious question of me.

I would love to engage in theological arguments (of the philosophical type) on an appropriate thread, but the fact is, I have not met anyone willing to do that. No one, zip, zero, nada. All I get there is dogma. It's almost the same way it is with Neo Evolutionists.
OldGrumpy

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 12:42 pm
the title of this thread is "Why do people deny evolution?", my question is how the hell can people accept this utter nonsense?
farmerman

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 01:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
All I get there is dogma. It's almost the same way it is with Neo Evolutionists.
Sometimes your style is confusing> I Take it that your displeasure is with the religious folks with whom youd like to debate or discuss re "the philosophy of religion", So the above follow-on thought is you comparing them to( Me as an example). If thats the case then youre use of "neo evolutionism" is incorrect since thats a purely "sociological concept", not a quantitative "hard" science.

I dont think Ive heard anyone since Ionus try to push the commonality between "neo evolutionism" and Darwinian theory of evolution based upon natural selection.
OldGrumpy

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 02:17 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Sometimes your style is confusing> I Take it that your displeasure is with the religious folks with whom youd like to debate or discuss re "the philosophy of religion", So the above follow-on thought is you comparing them to( Me as an example). If thats the case then youre use of "neo evolutionism" is incorrect since thats a purely "sociological concept", not a quantitative "hard" science.

I dont think Ive heard anyone since Ionus try to push the commonality between "neo evolutionism" and Darwinian theory of evolution based upon natural selection.

mature and intelligent people call this..bla bla bla bla.

ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 04:49 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I have done that when the issue was science or logic based.

I've never seen it.
Helloandgoodbye

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 07:26 pm
@OldGrumpy,
Quote:’the title of this thread is "Why do people deny evolution?", my question is how the hell can people accept this utter nonsense?’

You know My conclusion is the sinful mind of mankind.
False Gods, including the God of time and chance.
Dark hearts, leading to illogical positions and immorality.

The core of the problem are ppls hearts.

20For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

Nothing new under the sun here. One false God to another:(
MontereyJack

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 07:32 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
You still haven't even proved the existence of a god in the first place.
Helloandgoodbye

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 07:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
Don’t need to 😉

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

It is Gods job to change ppls hearts. Only then they can be ‘convinced.’ Only then they will See.
MontereyJack

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 07:39 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
the only people who think it's clear are people who haven't critically examined their beliefs.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 08:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
I have done that when the issue was science or logic based.

izzy replied:
I've never seen it.

Again, not my job to insure that you do.
farmerman

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 10:37 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Thre are MILLIONS of people in the UUS who are religious AND yet accept the different domain that science presents. AS Ken Miller(noted researcher, biology , genetics and evolution professor) said about his own Christian beliefs
"My God is transcendent , he doesnt mess around and direct evolution as the Intelligent Design or Creationism proponents espouse. My science exists quite peacebly wiyh my religious beliefs as they are both representative of separate worlds."

Are you going to call Ken Miller names because his own Christian beliefs are quite different than yours? As Jack said , perhaps its time for you to take some inventory of the foundations of "Belief" and foundations of "Science", and see whether you arent trying to force a round peg into a square hole.
farmerman

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 11:06 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
how the hell can people accept this utter nonsense?’
Ill bet you stopped reading science when you were TOLD it was atheistic and so you didnt investigate any further as to whether that statement was even true.
You accepted that "nonsense" statement when an ID authority (similarly untrained in science and un curious about its teachings) began preaching assertions that are baseless and flat wrong.
Whether you know it or not but the only arguements made by the " scientific brains of ID and Creationism, that have not been debunked, are those that havent been reviewed YET, (usually by some science grad students in Canada)

(Eg)ALL the assertions about" irreducible complexity" made by Dr Behe, a molecular biologist, and "specified information" , made by Dr R Dembski , a computer scientist of the Discovery Institute , Have been neatly discredited and debunked. These were singled out and forcefully debunked because theyd been the original "polished brass monkeys" as evidence of the the scientific validity of the Intelligent Design crew at the Discovery Institute. Theyd also been used in court and public fora about ID over Evolution.

Now , it seems, the Dsic Inst has changed its tactics once again. Before, as they had their asses handed to them, the arguments proposed by Dembski and Behe were that science had no place being "judged in a court" ( neatly sidestepping the issue that they brought on the cases under scrutiny because their organizations had quietly been supporting the school districts and governments who wanted to make religious beliefs part of the areas school science curricula.
Now, theyve abandoned that in favor of espousing and redefining their own 1st Amendment Rights, (**** the science for now).
Theyve been moderately successful because in 2011, an education act in Louisiana has passed and the school districts are going to be working in order to be able to teach ID as science in public school biology.
No organizations have been challenging these acts as amended because they are on the periphery of the school science curricula , students are not required to carry them out of the class and no standardized tests (used to help student college placement) contain any language about ID. Making that last jump will be difficult with organizations like ACLU, NCSE, and Several dozen professional scientific organizations like AGU, AGI, ACS,AMA and many others watching carefully so schools do NOT lose accreditation by accommodating students whose scientific worldviews are basically
taught via catechecesis.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 02:00 am
@Leadfoot,
What is your job? To appear contradictory, pretend you accept scientific reasoning while acquiescing to young Earth creationism and unreasoning fervour?

It's completely incoherent and pointless and in the end you end up in the same camp as Quahog.

If your job is to look like a bloody idiot you've succeeded.
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 05:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Thre are MILLIONS of people in the UUS who are religious AND yet accept the different domain that science presents.

so what????? what has that got to do with anything? millions people believe in wierd stuff, like ahh 'science'! Does that make it right? of course not!!!

Gee, where do these strange crooked thinking people come from?
farmerman

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 07:06 am
I see some scientists from UNC have discovered the linkage from the "Mising 60 million years of T rex evolution). Theyve discovered one of the "Dawn t rexes". They were cute little guys about as big as a wild turkey. It was a beach dweller and was covered with "pin" feathers and lived in the early K. The K sediments of the EAst Coast are red bed deposits from alluvial fan like stream meanders as the tectonic showed our East Coast to be a "trailing edge" sediment deposit sequence common to opening sea ways . Today we are seeing the beginnings of such eposits along the Afara triangle o Africa. The Horn of Africa is rapidly opening and the "Balkanization" of Africa is continuing. Soon Madagascar and the Saychelles wont be the only deposits "torn with the Horn" .

W wont see any real difference for a few million years so just hang on and we will see the Carbbean of the Indian Ocean develop or another chaotic Sunda sea island group.

Theres 54 countries in AFrica right now, as this natural Balkanization occurs I predict several dozen more. Places ,like Djibouti, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Ethiopea etc will become a mini continent of " island paradises"
farmerman

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 09:57 am
@farmerman,
The reasonable among us are asking,"WAIT A MINIT". If the seas were opening an the ATlantic was taking shape as a big isolation tool, how come we have T rex family members of both sides of the pond eh?
Good Question.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 11:26 am
@OldGrumpy,
and a few nutballs believe in anti-science.
OldGrumpy

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 11:52 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
and a few nutballs believe in anti-science.

why the cheap ad hominem again and where do I state that I am anti-science?

Yes, evil-lotion is an example of anti-science, that is true. Lots of dogma's in there.
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 07:51 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:’AS Ken Miller(noted researcher, biology , genetics and evolution professor) said about his own Christian beliefs
"My God is transcendent , he doesnt mess around and direct evolution as the Intelligent Design or Creationism proponents espouse. My science exists quite peacebly wiyh my religious beliefs as they are both representative of separate worlds."
Are you going to call Ken Miller names because his own Christian beliefs are quite different than yours?’

No. No name calling.
Just gotta point out to ppl like him that Genesis 5&11, And Genesis 1 &9 as well as Isaiah chapter 11:7 clearly teach the earth was created apx 6,000 years ago, and created vegetarian.
No debating it. It it’s there for All to read. It is a fact that is what the biblical teaching is.

If he and millions of others take the same position as Israel did through the ages, and compromise biblical truth for misinformation/lies/false Gods, (Like evolutionism) well, nothing new under the sun. Oh well. Really too bad. Sad

Isaiah 11:9 ‘a day is coming soon when the knowledge of the lord will cover the earth as water covers the sea’ (then, then everyone will be on the same page, forever!)

Deception has many many faces.
Helloandgoodbye

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 07:58 pm
https://biblehub.com/john/1-47.htm
Ah, to be a man like Nathaniel, ‘to have nothing False within him’
To hear the words from God himself one day, ‘well done good and faithful servant!’
0 Replies