Why do people deny evolution?

Olivier5

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 10:15 am
@OldGrumpy,
OldGrumpy wrote:

Quote:
Western civilization was built on science,

well, no, but it also depends on how you define 'science'.

so, maybe yes?
OldGrumpy

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 10:45 am
@Olivier5,
First define 'science'. It certainly wasn't by 'academic science', that is for sure.
Olivier5

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 11:20 am
@OldGrumpy,
So you rushed to say 'no' even before understanding what I was talking about... so funny.
OldGrumpy

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 11:37 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
So you rushed to say 'no' even before understanding what I was talking about... so funny.

I indeed assumed you refered to 'academic science'. Well, didn't you?
Olivier5

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 11:43 am
@OldGrumpy,
I meant science as a whole, whether academic or not. Science is primarily a method. I see it as a formalisation of natural human curiosity: the drive to observe, question, understand and predict stuff. The academic aspect is a mean to this end, and not the only one.
Olivier5

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 11:52 am
@brianjakub,
The question is: who designed and manufactured your designer and manufacturer? And who designed the designer of your designer?

If all complex entities need a designer, then it's "designers all the way down."
OldGrumpy

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 12:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I meant science as a whole, whether academic or not. Science is primarily a method. I see it as a formalisation of natural human curiosity: the drive to observe, question, understand and predict stuff. The academic aspect is a mean to this end, and not the only one.

science as a whole eh?! that is very vague, hence you are not saying anything here.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 12:49 pm
@Olivier5,
Let's worry about one thing at a time
Setanta

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 01:33 pm
@brianjakub,
There's nothing to worry about--you're just peddling a fantasy with no evidence.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 02:02 pm
@brianjakub,
Then that one single "thing" we should care about is what's observable. The rest is "designers all the way down", and we will worry about them later.
OldGrumpy

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 02:25 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Then that one single "thing" we should care about is what's observable. The rest is "designers all the way down", and we will worry about them later.

Really? No wonder there is so little progress!
Olivier5

Wed 10 Oct, 2018 06:48 am
@OldGrumpy,
Oh so you believe in gods and fairies now?
OldGrumpy

Wed 10 Oct, 2018 11:17 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Oh so you believe in gods and fairies now?

Where did I wrote that? You are so full of it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 12 Oct, 2018 05:21 pm
@Olivier5,
was part of a field study these last two weeks to help locate specific species of therapods from the triassic. We were looking for the species bsed on their footy pprints.

I was in a team that was up nd down the Culpepper Basin in Viginia nd Maryland. we found many interesting groupings and could infer the action that was going on. we traced one critter with crooked claw for about 1/2 mile along the top of the rock layer.

Olivier5

Sat 13 Oct, 2018 03:18 am
@farmerman,
Wow. Half a mile is a long way for a 'walking fish'... I didn't know they could walk so long. Seen some in New Caledonia last summer.
farmerman

Sat 13 Oct, 2018 03:39 am
@Olivier5,
sorry, these werent fishapods but small pre -dinosaurians like "Gralotor" . The Triassic was a time of evolutionary explosion of entire reptilan genera (until another mass extinction at the end of the Triassic wiped out not so many genera as the Permian Great extinction but sorta "trimmed" out the lines remaining.
East Coast US is full of Tr stuff right up to the end nd theres very little to no Jurassic rocks and sediment in the great Tr Basin.

One site that was visited nd movied was the bigass slab on the Pa prison at Graterford, that one shows a huge community of tracks separated by volcanic ash deposits, maybe 30 ft thick ( about 9m )
farmerman

@Olivier5,
sorry, these werent fishapods but small pre -dinosaurians like "Gralotor" . The Triassic was a time of evolutionary explosion of entire reptilan genera (until another mass extinction at the end of the Triassic wiped out not so many genera as the Permian Great extinction but sorta "trimmed" out the lines remaining.
East Coast US is full of Tr stuff right up to the end nd theres very little to no Jurassic rocks and sediment in the great Tr Basin.

One site that was visited nd movied was the bigass slab on the Pa prison at Graterford, that one shows a huge community of tracks separated by volcanic ash deposits, maybe 30 ft thick ( about 9m )
0 Replies

farmerman

@Olivier5,

One site that was visited nd movied was the bigass slab on the Pa prison at Graterford, that one shows a huge community of trcks separated by volcanic ash deposits, maybe 30 ft thick ( about 9m )
0 Replies

farmerman

@Olivier5,

One site that was visited nd movied was the bigass slab on the Pa prison at Graterford, that one shows a huge community of trcks separated by volcanic ash deposits, maybe 30 ft thick ( about 9m )
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Sat 13 Oct, 2018 05:00 am
lol. Talking about repetitive!