Why do people deny evolution?

izzythepush

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 11:15 am
@OldGrumpy,
No, it's your cosmic vibrations, they're all out of kilter, more rose less burgundy.
izzythepush

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 11:18 am
@farmerman,
The problem with playing devil's advocate is that you can get too heavily invested in bullshit to go back to normal. To paraphrase Macbeth.

I am in horseshit Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o'er
Olivier5

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 11:19 am
@farmerman,
3 he's just another hypercritic.

Anyone entertaining the idea that science as an institution is fundamentally corrupt and evil, is likely to become another hypercritic. It's a slipery slope.
OldGrumpy

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 12:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
No, it's your cosmic vibrations, they're all out of kilter, more rose less burgundy.

It seems there is something strange in you that HAS to react. What is it?
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 01:46 pm
@izzythepush,
I dont appear to be the one here most vested in besting ol fart.

0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 01:48 pm
@Olivier5,
maybe, but usually hypercritics have some grounding in their target.
Olivier5

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 02:58 pm
@farmerman,
I guess it's the new generation. Internet-groomed. Eclectic.
0 Replies

livinglava

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 03:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

3 he's just another hypercritic.

Anyone entertaining the idea that science as an institution is fundamentally corrupt and evil, is likely to become another hypercritic. It's a slipery slope.

True scientific ethics are not bad, but when people abuse the veracity of science as a platform for exercising cultural dominance and dismissing views that don't immediately subjectively appear to resonate with modern science it is arrogant and leads to angry responses like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9SiRNibD14
Setanta

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 04:23 pm
That member's use of biblical quotes is nothing extraordinary. There are a raft of sites out there which are militant atheists, often disingenuously calling themselves skeptics, which provide all the biblical quotes you want. This member is just attempting to jerk peoples' chains. This is classic troll behavior, and it is succeeding because your either talking to him or about him. I advise people to do as I do and ignore him. He may eventually go away, as he did in the past.
coldjoint

Mon 8 Oct, 2018 05:56 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I advise people to do as I do and ignore him.

Why are you assuming other people agree with you? If you reject his opinions do not read his posts.
Quote:
He may eventually go away, as he did in the past.

If he leaves who is next, and does leaving automatically defeat his argument? nope. You should be more concerned with what you say.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 12:18 am
@livinglava,
If you find a scientist arrogant, laugh at him. But dismissing science altogether is a road going straight to psycho hell. It's like dismissing your own reason.
OldGrumpy

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 03:40 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
If you find a scientist arrogant, laugh at him. But dismissing science altogether is a road going straight to psycho hell. It's like dismissing your own reason.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. going to hell?!!! ah well, it just proves , once again, that 'science' is a religion indeed. if you don't believe that **** we are doomed to go to hell. ha ha ha.

really, 'science' isn't what you think it is. it IS a control tool, whether you like it or not.
Olivier5

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 04:32 am
@OldGrumpy,
'Hell' is exactly where you are right now, mentally speaking.
0 Replies

livinglava

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 05:37 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I love science but if I hear someone tell me that a witch can use black magic to cause lightning to strike their enemies, I apply science to attempt to hypothesize a mechanism/route for that to take place. Then, if I can't figure out a plausible way, I would tell the person that I can't think of any way that it's possible, and then I would ask the person if they really thought that people could cause lightning to strike other people using spiritual power, or was it just a way for powerless people to intimidate their enemies using the idea of supernatural powers. I would further ask them if they thought science was bad because it gives such enemies the power to dismiss supernatural threats and thus exploit people they otherwise might not.

Really, if you get down to the bottom of what that video I posted was saying, it was that the truth doesn't really set everyone free, so if you look at science as nothing more than a tool for colonial exploitation, it might be worth eliminating it rather than having people abuse it to exploit others. You would think that science and the enlightenment would bring with it social-economic ethics that would end social-economic abuse, environmental/resource abuse, etc. but it hasn't; so we really should be asking why that is.
OldGrumpy

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 06:23 am
@livinglava,
Quote:

I love science but if I hear someone tell me that a witch can use black magic to cause lightning to strike their enemies, I apply science to attempt to hypothesize a mechanism/route for that to take place. Then, if I can't figure out a plausible way, I would tell the person that I can't think of any way that it's possible, and then I would ask the person if they really thought that people could cause lightning to strike other people using spiritual power, or was it just a way for powerless people to intimidate their enemies using the idea of supernatural powers. I would further ask them if they thought science was bad because it gives such enemies the power to dismiss supernatural threats and thus exploit people they otherwise might not.

Really, if you get down to the bottom of what that video I posted was saying, it was that the truth doesn't really set everyone free, so if you look at science as nothing more than a tool for colonial exploitation, it might be worth eliminating it rather than having people abuse it to exploit others. You would think that science and the enlightenment would bring with it social-economic ethics that would end social-economic abuse, environmental/resource abuse, etc. but it hasn't; so we really should be asking why that is.

'science' is a control tool, owned by the government(s)

yes it is that easy, and we are heading for a 'scientific dictatorship"

'science' has nothing to do with any 'truthfinfinding' or with technology for that matter.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 06:25 am
@livinglava,
Western civilization was built on science, and indeed used science and technology to colonize other people. But that doesn't mean that the scientific project is inherently immoral. It means rather that politic is often immoral. And politics based on science are potentially just as immoral (eg the holocaust) than politics based on religion or ideology or anything else. In other words, science has nothing to say on morality. It's about how natural things work, not how human societies ought to be working.
Helloandgoodbye

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 07:03 am
@OldGrumpy,
At the top of page 515:

and the horror list goes on and on and on...
Quote:
"If a man's testicles are crushed or his penis is cut off, he may not be admitted to the assembly of the LORD.
Deuteronomy 23:1
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who wrote this ****?!

Just wondering, did you take a moment to look up the reason why this law was put in place?(again, The cure to your ‘condition’ and MY old condition) For men Who Underwent castration.
Once you learn a little bit about the ancient near East culture, how such things were commonly practiced in false God worship, and the outward purity God wanted Israel to demonstrate, such laws become understandable .

Purity is a big reason for laws and commands like this one which seems strange at first glance. At first glance is key here.
Whether it be this law, or whether it be that Israel was commanded to wear clothing made of one thread (not mixed threads), or that they were not to mix different vegetation in the same farmer field even....All about purity. Self-mutilated bodies would not be considered pure, right?

https://christianityshines.com/atheist-corner/deuteronomy-231-testicles-and-penis-cut-off/

https://www.studylight.org/commentary/deuteronomy/23-1.html
Sry again for delayed response. You posted so much so quickly. I am not a retired man yet lol.
OldGrumpy

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 08:52 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Western civilization was built on science,

well, no, but it also depends on how you define 'science'.
OldGrumpy

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 08:53 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
Once you learn a little bit about the ancient near East culture, how such things were commonly practiced in false God worship, and the outward purity God wanted Israel to demonstrate, such laws become understandable .

You know what? Kill them all!! It's understandable!
btw are you pro-israel (who owns the u.s.a)?

Man o man o man
0 Replies

brianjakub

Tue 9 Oct, 2018 09:43 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

Dear Spunky.
Whenever II make a claim, Ive always presented some real world evidence (Check back). Now I think that last request of yours is actually something that you should undertake, not me.

You made the claim, you back it up. Understand how this all works??? You are basically claiming that some magic fairy dust made the world and then destroyed the whole thing.(Something that bears NO EVIDENCE at all). If you are aware of such evidence, Id think youd be proud to present it to defend your argument. Up till now, mosta you guys are asking those of us who see things from an empirical base, to provide evidence for you.
So where is it? what have we missed? Try to be specific .

https://able2know.org/topic/384507-16#post-6718326

The mainstream scientist in this video is recognizing some basic patterns and rules about information in complex systems by comparing the universe to a computer game. Both are systems of complex information running in hardware.

Why would you require one to have a designer and a manufacturer (the computer and the game running on it) but, the larger more complex one (the universe and life) you don't?

Is it just because it is bigger and older?

If so explain how age and size eliminates the need for a designer and manufacturer.

https://able2know.org/topic/384507-16#post-6718326