Olivier5

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 11:21 am
@camlok,
I love you too, hon.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 12:46 pm
@Leadfoot,
What Gould implied was that evolution of genomes are defined by changes in germ cell lines . Thats where he got the "DNA is but the bookkeeping of evolution"
Leadfoot

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 01:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
What Gould implied was that evolution of genomes are defined by changes in germ cell lines .

I’m just not sure why that is Regarded as profound. And technically not even accurate. As the theory goes, WAY more of the changes were lost over evolutionary time. All you have now are the surviving changes.

Could we get back to DNA based information and how it compares to programmed information?
camlok

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 01:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
Every post I read of yours, Leadfoot, seems to be you, trying to keep the "scientist" farmerman, focused and not trying to mislead.

I feel your pain.
farmerman

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 03:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
the changes are not lost in the genome. They hang around as pseudogenes. A yeast's coding genome is 3X bigger than that of humans
hingehead

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 04:25 pm
@JimmyJ,
Answering the actual question originally posed. i.e. why do people deny it. A thought provoking look at denialism
https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2018/sep/03/denialism-what-drives-people-to-reject-the-truth-podcast
Setanta

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 05:05 pm
@hingehead,
Good article, Boss.
camlok

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 05:07 pm
@Setanta,
I thought so too, Set. It described you, farmer, max, ci, Beth, and a whole lot of other folks to a T.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 05:50 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
the changes are not lost in the genome. They hang around as pseudogenes. A yeast's coding genome is 3X bigger than that of humans
. That may happen occasionally but not usually. Negative mutations must of necessity be recessive and eventually disappear, if not, there would be no room in the geneome for the literally millions/billions of advantageous ones. It would be game over if every negative mutation were stored and conserved because they outnumber the good ones a billion to one, and that’s according to the theory that you support.

Note that multiple copies don’t add any functionality unless modified. The same thing happens in software by accident. Computer memory can get filled up with duplicate copies of subroutines in poorly written software.

As has been said before, size isn’t everything.
Did that pass your humor test. I failed Set's miserably.

Thanks for getting back on the biological comparisons to software code though.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 05:52 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
I feel your pain.

It is a bit like hurting cats. Appreciate the sympathy.
Leadfoot

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 05:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
I meant 'herding' dammit.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 05:58 pm
@hingehead,
If ya can’t win the argument, call them delusional or 'Truth Deniers'.
Damn good strategy.
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 11:14 pm
@hingehead,
The guardian??????????????????

lol

No bias there eh?!

lol
hingehead

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 11:23 pm
@OldGrumpy,
There's bias everywhere. People with analytical skill sift through it and account for it.

It's not a Guardian reporter, it's an opinion piece by Keith Kahn-Harris, a sociologist with scholarly work published in peer-reviewed journals.

You should read it - it's actually an interesting take, and ends up in a position of sympathy with denialists as the post-denialists move in.

But hey - who needs to contemplate new thoughts when your mind's made up?
Leadfoot

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 11:46 pm
@hingehead,
I don’t doubt that denial is an actual phenomenon. It’s actually an area of interest of mine. I’ve been following various groups in which denial is fairly obvious in order to understand how it works. I mean groups that believe things like G. W. Bush personally plotted 9-11, only alien technology could have built the pyramids, planes are leaving chemtrails of mind control drugs and reptilian aliens are behind the Illuminati.

These people are usually self evident in that their stories are self contradictory. The many people including a number of scientists who question evolution display none of the characteristics typical of the delusional or deniers who need self contradictory stories to make their logic work.

TL/DR: Just because you doubt the theory of Neo-evolution doesn’t mean you are a denier.
Olivier5

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 12:36 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The many people including a number of scientists who question evolution display none of the characteristics typical of the delusional or deniers

Of course they do. They share a disdain for mainstream science and opinion, a reluctance to take any clear positive stance, a fear and avoidance of facts, etc. You included.
OldGrumpy

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 02:48 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Of course they do. They share a disdain for mainstream science and opinion, a reluctance to take any clear positive stance, a fear and avoidance of facts, etc. You included.

Again, do some research first
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 03:11 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
It's not a Guardian reporter, it's an opinion piece by Keith Kahn-Harris, a sociologist with scholarly work published in peer-reviewed journals.

Doesn't matter. it is published by The Guardian. Known not to be trusted.
OldGrumpy

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 03:16 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
They share a disdain for mainstream science and opinion

Well, I had once sudied physics and math and clinical psychology at university level.
After a few years I started researching a lot of alternative fields, and found out that way, how extremely wrong 'mainstream' science is , on so many subjects.
Like evolution shite, black hole bollocks. quantum physics fantasies, cosmology stupidity, medicine quackery , stupid mathematics, and so on and so forth. Hence , yes, I developed a very very very deep disrespect for "mainstream science". But AFTER I did the research, not before. (hint, hint, hint Wink )
farmerman

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 04:30 am
@OldGrumpy,
what wwere some of your key areas of inquiry that turned you off??

so you dont buy radioisotopic age determination but you do "believe " in nuclear energy??
0 Replies