Why do people deny evolution?

Helloandgoodbye

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 07:37 am
@OldGrumpy,
The best example you have given of similarities between Jesus and other Pagan mythical gods is the Dec 25th argument... and as you can see, such as statement is dead in the water.
I have examined other so-called similarities, and they all end up dead in the water.
Helloandgoodbye

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 07:40 am
@Amoh5,
While on the subject of following other sinners...
What i find terribly strange and saddening is when Catholics put Mary into nearly God status.....some ppl actually teach her as divine!

Yet, she herself acknowledged that she was morally bankrupt and required a savior. Luke1:47
https://biblehub.com/luke/1-47.htm
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 07:48 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
I have examined other so-called similarities, and they all end up dead in the water.

lol, you wish!

something to put your teeth in:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Graves0001.JPG/150px-Graves0001.JPG
Helloandgoodbye

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 08:53 am
@OldGrumpy,
Soooooo much Anti-Christ(ian) info/teachings in the world huh?!
Can’t say I have read that book, but have read much material related to that subject.
Thx for the info👍
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 09:36 am
@OldGrumpy,
Quote:
Yes, are you aware there were more then sixteen 'saviors' years years years before 'jesus'?
All born around 25 dec, born out of a virgin, crucified, raised from the death, 3 days bla bla bla?
It is ONLY a symbol. No real people at all

There are plenty of bogus claims of Jesus' birth date and other details.
But I haven’t heard of a single reputable historian who does not believe that the historical Jesus actually existed.

They may not believe he was the son of God, etc. but the fact that he existed is not in doubt. There is far too much verified research into it to credibly claim otherwise.

Leadfoot

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 09:48 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
I agree, don’t follow any immoral being in the old testament. (Or whenever)
I disagree with you, that we should reject Gods written word, the Old Testament.

Even the book itself (NT) says it for instruction, not necessarily an example to follow. I find it very useful. The OT is full of examples of stupidity, bias, prejudice, etc among religious leaders. It should not surprise us to find the same situation today.
Helloandgoodbye

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 10:22 am
@Leadfoot,
2 Timothy 3:16
‘All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.’
( not wrongfulness )

Yes, there are plenty of examples of human stupidity, bias, Prejudice etc. like you had mentioned, Also examples of humanity sacrificing their children, even eating them!
I got to say Human nature has got to be the strongest evidence supporting biblical teaching of us needing ‘fixing.’ To become Christlike. We are so broken!
Just as it is in a dogs nature to bark, It is in human nature to Behave in some pretty terrible Ways.
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 11:02 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
There are plenty of bogus claims of Jesus' birth date and other details.
But I haven’t heard of a single reputable historian who does not believe that the historical Jesus actually existed.

They may not believe he was the son of God, etc. but the fact that he existed is not in doubt. There is far too much verified research into it to credibly claim otherwise.

Then you must be able to show me. But to be fair, this is the thread about evil-lotion, Ahh well who cares really? Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 03:56 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

What you have not heard of is no conclusive evidence of anything. Such a claim can only be based on caressing a confirmation bias, and the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances--which is to say, ignoring any evidence to the contrary, such as the unreliability of the scant and ambiguous texts with which christian-biased authors attempt to establish such a claim.

Carrier, Richard Lane, On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt. Sheffield Phoenix Press, Sheffield (UK), 2014.

Bart D. Ehrman, Forged: Writing in the Name of God – Why the Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are. Harper Collins, New York, 2011.

James Douglas Grant Dunn. The Historical Jesus: Five Views. SPCK Publishing, London, 2010.

Quote:
There is far too much verified research into it to credibly claim otherwise.

This is utterly false. There are no contemporary texts which mention your boy Jeebus. The claim, for example, that Tacitus mentions him is entirely inaccurate, and based on a claim that Nero persecuted christians after the great fire at Rome. In ‎The Lives of the Twelve Caesars by Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus, an author who clearly despised Nero, he praised him because he did not seek to blame anyone, and promptly set about providing aid and shelter to the victims. Additionally, at the time of the fire, and at the time that Tacitus wrote, not even christians called themselves christians. Eusebius, one of christianity's greatest liars, and the so-called father of church history, never mentions the passage in Tacitus, which had been written two centuries earlier--a notable omission. No one, in fact, mentioned the passage until the late 15th century. It is clearly an interpolation (a passage inserted into a text after the original was written). The passage never mentions your boy Jesus.

The claim that Flavius Josephus mentions Jeebus is equally doubtful. In 1980, Louis Feldman, the contemporary expert on the Hellenistic world and Flavius Josephus in particular (he died less than a year ago), published a survey of historical assessments on the Josephus passage in the previous 150 years. More than 80% of scholars of the Hellenistic world considered the Josephus passage to be in part or entirely an interpolation. It is noteworthy that Flavius Josephus was a Pharisee--how odd that he would praise someone who is alleged to have vilified all Pharisees.

The correspondence between Pliny and the emperor Trajan is laughably absurd. All that it confirms is that there were people at the time known as christians. Nowhere is your boy Jeebus mentioned in their correspondence.

There are no contemporary accounts of this Yeshua and his strange cult. This is not to be wondered at--why would the Romans pay any attention to a few religiously fanatical members of the great unwashed. Your claim is specious, and, once again, what you do or do not know about the historical literature is proof of nothing. Personally, I think it's about a 50-50 shot. Either there were a pack of smelly, unwashed Jews running around Palestine in that time period, and one of them might have been called Yeshua. Alternatively, the story might be an Essene parable (there are problems with that idea that I won't get into here). Frankly, if you stood on a roof top in Jerusalem two thousand years ago at Passover, and threw a handful of pea gravel into the crowds, you would likely hit a religious fanatic with every tenth stone. The amount of gross historical error in the so-called gospels is just breath-taking.
cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 07:54 pm
@Setanta,
The simple fact that there were miracles during Jesus' time should question its reliability. The bread and fish story that fed thousands is a good example. Separation of the sea is another. Their miracles were limited by their limited purview of this planet.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 09:17 pm
I don't care about the skeptics theories on whether Lord Jesus existed or not, or whether he's just a fairy-tale. They'd have to acquire a time-machine to prove their 2, 000 or so year theories in my opinion. I lean more towards the theory that he was actually an Esscene. But in the ultimate context of this issue, I'd rather give my allegiance to a humanitarian fairy-tale than give it to a realistic anti-human regime.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 15 Aug, 2018 09:37 pm
That's a false dichotomy. Because I don't buy scriptural fairy tales does not mean that I support repressive regimes. Keep your shitty comments to yourself. As for proof, when someone makes a claim, they have the burden of proof--no one is obliged to disprove their BS>
Olivier5

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:15 am
@Setanta,
Stop it Set, you know you're wrong.
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 04:45 am
@Setanta,
I noticed You referenced Bart Ehrman In your last post As a historian who does not support the historical Jesus....yet he does through n through, even though an unbeliever. This says a lot.

https://m.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2012/0703/Biblical-scholar-Bart-Ehrman-supports-the-historic-existence-of-Jesus
Leadfoot

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 09:28 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
That's a false dichotomy. Because I don't buy scriptural fairy tales does not mean that I support repressive regimes. Keep your shitty comments to yourself. As for proof, when someone makes a claim, they have the burden of proof--no one is obliged to disprove their BS>

Since you’re such a history buff, here’s a bit that they don’t teach in schools. This is a direct legacy of Darwinism. Since we are just animals it ought to be acceptable to put 'less evolved' human animals in zoos. These were popular all over the world in the early 20th century.

Since you believe heart and soul in Darwin, you can share the blame for this kind of repressive regime, regardless of where or what time you live in.

The zoos have been banned, now we just use drug laws to lock them up. I mean, they’re just animals, why not?

https://humanzoos.org/

If you are hung up on Discovery Institute sources, there are dozens of others. Just google it if you’re in doubt.
Leadfoot

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 09:46 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
In "Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth," Ehrman decimates the persistent arguments of those who not only deny the divinity of Jesus but insist that no such man ever even existed.

Thanks for fact checking ole Set there H&G. One more piece of crap he tried to slip by us.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 09:53 am
@Leadfoot,
was Darwin responsible for the US's WWII internment camps too?

Sometimes you really jump off bridges if you werent leashed
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 10:06 am
@Leadfoot,
you're deliberately confusing Darwinism with Social Darwinism. Is your argument so shaky that you need to use such cheap tricks?

Survival of the fittest is the conclusion Darwin came to through observation. He never claimed it was a good way to run a society. As for culling undesirables the church was way out ahead of everyone else, re the Inquisition, witch trials and the disgraceful treatment of indigenous peoples in the Americas, Africa and the far East.

As for Jesus existing any reputable historian would take the agnostic approach, there were hundreds of charismatic religious leaders at the time, but there's no real proof that any of them were the historical figure of Jesus, none whatsoever.

It's just wishful thinking on your part and that of 'academics' who let their religiosity get in the way of academic discipline.

Every time you use such shoddy underhand tactics you undermine your own argument.
Leadfoot

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 10:26 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
you're deliberately confusing Darwinism with Social Darwinism. Is your argument so shaky that you need to use such cheap tricks?

No trick and not confusing at all. They spring from the same tree. Without Darwin's theory neither could exist. The only logical justification for either is the idea that humans are mere animals. Either you believe it or not.
farmerman

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 10:53 am
@izzythepush,
Before I left last week, Pb was spouting about how this "Intelligent designer" pre planned all these fossil and "apparent pathways" that organisms took, "because the designer knew that we would be intelligent enough to ask the questions". Then he implies that method naturalism is a "belief system".

Now today hes blaming Darwin for all sorts of movements whose only connection with Charles Darwin are that these movements chose his name for impact,after his death for most.