Why do people deny evolution?

cicerone imposter

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 08:06 pm
@High Strangeness,
Quote:
Nuclear program of Iran
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parts of this article (those related to lack of information on significant changes from 2013-15, culminating in Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.) need to be updated. (July 2015)
Nuclear program of Iran
Views on the nuclear program of Iran Iran and weapons of mass destruction Sanctions against Iran UN resolutions Khamenei's fatwa against nuclear weapons Assassination of Iranian nuclear scientists Iran–United States relations
v t e
The nuclear program of Iran has included several research sites, two uranium mines, a research reactor, and uranium processing facilities that include three known uranium enrichment plants.[1] In 1970, Iran ratified the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT),[2] making its nuclear program subject to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) verification.

https://www.iaea.org/sites/default/files/gov-2015-68.pdf
0 Replies

catbeasy

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 10:04 am
@Leadfoot,
Yah, er..you're going to use that line to talk about what's happening today? Vague..and understandably so..

Same with proclamations about being "God". We don't have a good definition of that entity, so to me its like saying, "we are something we can never understand". Which actually has truth to it even if you don't mix it up with 'God'..
High Strangeness

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 02:33 pm
Jesus said "God is a spirit", and God himself said "I fill heaven and earth", so we can regard God as a kind of Star Wars 'The Force' that's ecerywhere in the universe, and Jesus came to help us tap into that force.
Many Christians have tapped into it, that's why they're kool, calm, good-humoured and fearless..Smile
cicerone imposter

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 03:30 pm
@High Strangeness,
How many christian countries were involved in killings/in wars?
hingehead

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 03:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ooh ooh let me guess! All of them?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 03:57 pm
@catbeasy,
Quote:
Yah, er..you're going to use that line to talk about what's happening today? Vague..and understandably so..

That sounds pretty odd coming from a guy who said he isn't sure we'll make it another 100 years..
Leadfoot

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 03:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
How many christian countries were involved in killings/in wars?

What is a Christian country?
cicerone imposter

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 04:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
If you have to ask that question, ignore it.
Leadfoot

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 04:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you can't answer the question, ignore it.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Thu 15 Sep, 2016 08:15 pm
@Leadfoot,
Ya lost me there, I don't think we were commenting on the same thing..
Leadfoot

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 01:12 pm
@catbeasy,
Didn't you say you had doubts that mankind making it another 100 years? That was pretty compatible with the scenario in the bible verse about the end times I quoted.

Maybe your statement was in another thread, I do tend to form my picture of a2k'ers based on everything they've said, not just the current discussion.

If I'm confusing you with someone else I'm sorry.
catbeasy

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 02:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
Yeah, I went back and re-read that. I understand now. I think I didn't understand at first because I didn't see the relevance, unless you were being tongue in cheek..

You see, I see that biblical quote has nothing to do with the ending of the current world as the writer originally intended it.

To me, those prophecies mean nothing. They are vague, short on detail and could apply to any time. In fact, since the time of that writing, most every Western and Middle Eastern generation has applied that prophecy to their own time based on the current wars/turmoil in their land. Its so easy to do, because all you need is a lot of war, famine, pestilence etc..just apply Revelations and there you have it..

And its no good arguing that NOW we have the means to fully destroy the world due to nukes as they didn't back then..well, there have been multiples of prophets throughout the centuries, before AD and BC that have foretold the end of the world and all in cataclysmic language. Their world was small, it was to them, easy to see how their whole world could go up in flames. And even if the world was known to be larger, in their heads, God destroyed the 'whole world' in a flood, so any level of destruction was possible..

The bible is so full of vague and flowery language, it is low hanging fruit to take so called biblical prophecy and apply it to current events. "I come quickly" (ehem, someone needs to see a doctor for that!). "Some here will not taste death till they see the son of man coming in all his glory" etc..Quickly? Some here won't taste death? These statements have caused so many intellectual gymnastics (yes, I've read the justifications and they make me laugh) to disavow their obvious falsehood, it is a travesty that the truth can't be admitted that Jesus made those comments just like they were printed.

No, these were poetic statements or referred to something completely different. But where poetry is assumed or possible, but something concrete happened, then of course that's not poetic that's prose, since it backs up Christianity..

Chameleons. Reverse science. You will carve out that biblical square peg till it fits into that round whole of fact. You start with an idea of truth and everything must fit that framework, even when your better judgment tells you otherwise. Got it backwards..

Also, regarding this "prophecy", just about every Western/Middle Eastern generation has copped this prophecy and so far been wrong. But, is it any wonder the bible could finally hit? Statistically, its a good bet. We've not stopped being warlike. Eventually, after so many tries, there's a good chance it will become true..You'll finally be "right"..
cicerone imposter

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 03:02 pm
@catbeasy,
Statistical probability is possible after all these years of fear.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 04:37 pm
@catbeasy,
On the 'end times' stuff, nolo contendre. Yeah, it's been used for the then-current 'now', way too many times. I have no idea when it will be. The bible also says things will be going along just as usual when the end comes, so who knows.

The only thing that even brings it to mind is the 'weirdness' component of current conditions. I don't event know how to define it. And of course every generation may sense the same weirdness as they approach old age.
catbeasy

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 05:22 pm
@Leadfoot,
I think its fair to say that these times are weird'er than past times. At least prolly shortly after the industrial revolution, certainly after quantum mechanics and the bomb..its population growth and the free run of information combined with a lot of destructive power I think that changes the game qualitatively.

I think more openness than any other single thing though. Its that duel edged sword that threatens to annihilate and save us at the same time..
0 Replies

High Strangeness

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 05:34 pm
@catbeasy,
Quote:
"Some here will not taste death till they see the son of man coming in all his glory"

Yes, they saw Christianity become established in all its glory and it went on to become the biggest game on the park..Smile
Leadfoot

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 08:03 pm
@High Strangeness,
And after all, he did make quite an entrance not long after saying that.
0 Replies

High Strangeness

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 08:42 pm
@catbeasy,
Quote:
"Some here will not taste death till they see the son of man coming in all his glory" etc..Quickly? Some here won't taste death?

Remember, Jesus said only God knows when the end of the world will be and that he didn't know himself.
In context therefore, he couldn't have been talking about the end of the world but the establishment of Christianity on this planet..Smile
catbeasy

Sat 17 Sep, 2016 01:30 pm
@High Strangeness,
How about the much simpler explanation that its a contradiction?

But that possibility can't be accepted precisely because of what I said before. That this stuff MUST be true and therefore the simplest explanation is discarded and mental gymnastics ensue..when i read that passage, its clear to me that whoever wrote that is making Jesus say he is talking about his second coming IN CONTEXT.

But I understand, you can't have that. You can't even hold that its possibly true..

Why all the vagueness anyway? Why not just be out with what he meant? Oh yeah, I forgot, he admonished people that he spoke in riddles so that people who had hears will hear etc..this is beyond inane to me..speak literal when it suits, when it doesn't its poetic. Wherever you need to make it fit, that becomes the explanation without thought that it might not be so..
High Strangeness

Sat 17 Sep, 2016 01:37 pm
@catbeasy,
Quote:
How about the much simpler explanation that its a contradiction?

Atheists say the bibles been edited and tidied up over the centuries to make it look good, then in their next breath they say it's full of contradictions, I wish they'd make up their minds and tell us whether the contradictions have been edited out or haven't they?
As I pointed out, Jesus said he didn't know when the end of the world will be (Mark 13:32), and anything else he said on the subject doesn't contradict that..Smile