GW Bush-Mistakes?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:45 pm
Senator Feinstein, whom I admire as one of the 'good' politician of our times, finally said publicly that Bush lied to them on WMD's in Iraq. THAT'S THE MAIN ISSUE: but many people in this country would rather forget why they took us into this war, and claim freeing the Iraqi people from Saddam "justifies" our aggression against another country. Senator Feinstein said that if they were told the truth, many congressmen/women would not have voted for war. THAT'S THE TRUTH! c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:49 pm
BTW, Before the war started, I wrote to Senator Feinstein and told her I was against the war. She said she had to support the president because of what they knew about Saddam's WMD's. I told her I would support her decision, because she surely must have more information than was available to the rest of us. Senator Feinstein is now accusing president Bush of having lied. That takes guts.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:55 pm
It does. Good for her.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:01 pm
Tonight on the News Hour, a group of reporters finally came out and critcized Bush, one of whom actually said "I don't know what planet he lives on, but it isn't this one."
The Honeymoon is finally over!
Quote:
President Bush's press conference

MARGARET WARNER: The president, as you said, he also was asked about some of these expectations that weren't borne out, and Bob Kittle as we know in the press conference Tuesday night, he declined to acknowledge any mistakes or in anticipation or in expectations. Did you think those were unfair questions or what did you make of his reaction to those questions?

ROBERT KITTLE: Frankly, I don't think any question really, very few questions are unfair for the president. However, that particular question, why is it that you don't admit that you make mistakes, sounded like, you know, a question shouted in an argument in a bad marriage. That's not the kind of question that yields much information, and I for one don't blame the president for putting on a shirt and say gee I made a lot of mistakes.

Mistakes have been made, problems have arisen that were not anticipated. As Secretary Rumsfeld said earlier in the broadcast, a number of mistakes that were anticipated have not occurred.

So I don't think that kind of question gets us very far, and unfortunately I think it kind of plays to the kind of personal attacks on the president that now are part of the presidential campaign, and I think that's unfortunate, sort of personalizing and demonizing the president.

MARGARET WARNER: Did you see it that way, Cynthia Tucker, that that question was beside the point? There was a lot of commentary afterwards.

CYNTHIA TUCKER: They certainly didn't demonize the president. They merely asked the president if he was willing to acknowledge that many of the things he said before the war started have turned out not to be true. And should he have done some things differently.

Not only did he not acknowledge that, his descriptions, he didn't answer any questions really, and he didn't even acknowledge really that facts are different on the ground today.

He talked about staying the course. I agree completely that we need to stay in Iraq until the job is done, until it's stable. But if you're driving down a one-way street the wrong way, might you not change direction? Who are we going to turn the government over to on June 30? We have no idea.

And so I don't think the questions that the president was asked were in any way unfair, were in any way demonizing him. But his failure to even acknowledge that things have gone differently from the way he predicted, was not at all reassuring because it makes me think he doesn't have a strong plan for making sure the country is stabilized sometime in the next year or two.

The plan for turning over power in Iraq
MARGARET WARNER: So Frank Burgos, did you hear or do you feel he has a strong plan for turning over sovereignty in Iraq for making this the success that he says it must be for America's security?

FRANK BURGOS: By June 30? I know people who have better plans for their 4th of July picnic than George Bush has presented to anybody regarding turning over the keys to the kingdom on June 30. We don't know who is going to be in charge in Iraq. And one of the problems I have with the president's presentation during the press conference is that he didn't seem to acknowledge that anything was different than what he thought it was when we embarked on this.

We're still looking for weapons of mass destruction, in fact, despite the fact that his own expert David Kay says they're not there. He's still mounting that argument. I don't know what reality President Bush is in, but it's not a reality I think many of us travel in.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:06 pm
If they're living in another reality, I wonder how it's best described. Anybody wanna guess?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:10 pm
hobitbob wrote:
So that would be...both stupid and retarded!

Ding! Ding! Ding! Smart Ass! Razz
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:10 pm
Well, on Buffy we learned that there are indeed differnet Hell dimensions.....
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:12 pm
doglover wrote:
hobitbob wrote:

that'sMR drunken smart ass to you! I learned today that one of my favourite professors at UMBC died. Sad
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:58 pm
hobitbob wrote:
doglover wrote:
hobitbob wrote:

that'sMR drunken smart ass to you! I learned today that one of my favourite professors at UMBC died. Sad

I'm having cocktail hour this evening too hobitbob. Drunk

I'm sorry to hear of your professor's passing.
0 Replies