Bf doesn't take me out on a date.

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 03:02 am
I've been in a relationship for almost 5 months now. My boyfriend is really nice, he listens to me, texts me every night. We go to the same college. But in these past 5 months, he has never taken me out on a date. Except the day he proposed. When I once asked him why, he said he prefers making out with me rather than gng out for a movie. We always hang out with our group of friends and never alone. Even my friend once pointed out that we never go out together. She even told him to takeme out.But he never did.We live nearby , but v still don't always meet unless we are hanging out with friends. He says he misses me but never asks me to go somewhere with him or comes below my house to see me. What do you guys think?

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:42 am
@sociallyawkward,
I think he's a jerk.

But there is also, currently, zero incentive for him to change. After all, he gets to have sex or near-sex (making out) with you and he doesn't have to spend a dime on you. You're not in it for the money, I assume, but when someone can't even be bothered (and with prompting, no less) to spend a hundred bucks on an occasional decent night out, then you have to wonder what else they don't want to give you, and what else they can't be bothered to do.

You don't say whether he's dirt poor, or constantly working, etc. That would change my answer, but not much. Consider this - my father really was dirt poor when he was dating my mother. He used to take her to the airport and they'd watch the planes take off and land. Or they would go to a restaurant and he would have the cheapest thing on the menu while allowing her to have whatever she wanted (after maybe a month of dating, she realized what he was doing, and ordered cheaper food, too, or would just have coffee and claim to not be hungry in order to save him a little money).

The bottom line is that even an economic argument doesn't hold water.

But the other half of the equation is that you aren't insisting on anything. So insist! It does not have to be expensive and it does not have to be couched in terms of a threat. And there's also nothing that says you can't make the plans. So if it bothers you, make plans and take control of this situation. If he whines and complains and hates it every time, and essentially sabotages your good time, you might want to think about what that passive-aggressively means, and whether you want to continue putting up with it.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 12:41 am
He has proposed? I hope you said No, because this fella does NOT know how to treat a woman and you need lessons on how to drop him like a hot rock.

PS - he is NOT a boyfriend. Do not call him that.

0 Replies

Nom de plume

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 12:47 am
@jespah,
I completely agree with Punkey and Jespah. One thing I have learned is that you don't want to get chained to a stingy guy. They are stingy at all levels and you will never have a good life with him. Find someone who thinks you are worth it and has a generous heart and wallet. Your life will be so much happier.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 12:51 am
@sociallyawkward,
I think he is lazy, and you are a convenient girlfriend for him. He doesn't have to put in any effort, and you're always there.

Couples need time alone, they shouldn't be always hanging out with a group of friends. If he can't see that now, and actually want to spend time with just you, then what is he going to be like after you get married?

Is this how you want to spend the rest of your life? Because it's not going to get any better.
0 Replies

sociallyawkward

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 01:17 am
@jespah,
No, he is not poor at all. He spends quite a lot of money on going out with his friends like for movies and all. Once or twice that we went out, we always split t bill. I don't really mind that. But I think he should at least ask me out.I won't mind paying my share. I told him about this n he said he would improve. But still he hasn't taken me out. But he says he loves me a lot. What to do
jespah

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 08:01 am
@sociallyawkward,
He says one thing, and does another, eh?
chai2

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 08:18 am
@jespah,
Sounds like the old "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" thing.

0 Replies