Does "2n" mean "one n (referring to maternal chromosome) + one n (paternal chromosome)"?

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 03:33 am

Context:

I should, perhaps, also mention that differences in parental chromosome counts, even rather large ones, do not preclude the production of fertile hybrids. While differences of this sort do bode ill for the fertility of the resulting progeny, it is only a rule of thumb. For example, female geeps, the products of hybridization between sheep (2n=54) and goats (2n=60), can produce offspring in backcrosses. Likewise, female zeedonks (Burchell's Zebra, 2n=44 x Ass, 2n=62) have also been fertile in backcrosses. There are many other examples of this sort among mammalian hybrids. Therefore, such differences between the parents in a cross do not in any way guarantee an absolute sterility in the hybrid offspring. (For those readers who do not know, backcross hybrids are produced when hybrids from a first cross mate with either of the two types of parents that produced them. When the resulting progeny mate again with the same parental type, the result is the second backcross generation, and so forth.)

More:
http://www.macroevolution.net/human-origins.html#.Upmw19K-18F
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,512 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
timur
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 06:24 am
@oristarA,
Exactly, that's what it means.

2n is called diploid.

wiki wrote:
Diploid (indicated by 2n = 2x) cells have two homologous copies of each chromosome, usually one from the mother and one from the father...
Human diploid cells have 46 chromosomes and human haploid gametes (egg and sperm) have 23 chromosomes.

List of organisms by chromosome count
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 08:06 am
@timur,
Excellent!
Thank you Timur.
0 Replies

martyjoseph

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:00 pm
Hello folks,
I am a writer, not really sure of the rules here, but: hoping you would be willing to check the genetics-related accuracy of a paragraph from my manuscript, and also if you feel inclined to offer new phraseology additions or changes. In the excerpt at the bottom, the extraterrestrial character, Carlyle, has preternatural (“wordian”)skills that allow his essence to penetrate into a female human, and shape-shift into (and literally become) a replication fork to join with the woman’s separated helix strands, to form a new life in her pregnancy or reproduction process. Some concerns and details of preference that I would appreciate you keeping in mind as you consider my writing project goals are:
--Am I correct to assume that this helix action is what occurs in the human reproduction process—is that
helix action part of the process of the male sperm germinating in the female egg?
--I’m hoping that the human reproduction process does relate pretty directly to this separation of the
double helix phenomenon, because my story would benefit from the idea of (the above-mentioned)
Carlyle’s plan to enter into the separating-helix environment of the human female reproduction
process in order to preternaturally become a replication fork on one of the two strands of the
separating double helix. I want the second helical strand’s replication fork to result in the birth of a
man that will be a natural, “classic case,” male child, but both replication fork strands should represent
life that will be born together as male twins. I want the twins to share some traits, perhaps by adding
some layman terms explanation about the concept of branched DNA occurring from a third strand of
DNA, containing adjoining regions able to hybridize with the frayed region of the pre-existing double-
strand.
--Also, something that would confer a benefit to the story would be if some type of (perhaps
exceptional?) related physical process could be incorporated into the latter bulleted point, to involve
the role a messenger RNA sequence plays in the process. [Perhaps this could work by incorporating an
explanation I found that spoke of the concept of a DNA sequence “sense”: if the DNA sequence is the
same as that of a messenger RNA copy that is translated (into a protein), the sequence on the opposite
strand to be called “antisense”—both senses sequences possibly existing on different parts of the
same strand of DNA.]
--Since my material is, in part, science fiction, perhaps this following phenomenon I found could also be
at least semi-sensibly incorporated via an explanation of the above-mentioned preternatural-
related rationale, or to make some other of the preferred issues above work, but which need some
enigma-based issue to make it theoretically viable: “The reasons for the presence of so much
noncoding DNA in eukaryotic genomes and the extraordinary differences in genome size, or C-value,
among species represent a long-standing puzzle known as the ‘C-value enigma.’”

Here’s what I have so far, in my ongoing attempt to accomplish what I allude to above:

As the locus of the meeting for this opposing duo has been established [in the womb], something of the specific nature of the event may now be set forth in more meaningful detail. The particular parental DNA molecule of interest, in fact, naturally separated into its two strands. As Carlyle wordianly transposed himself into a complimentary replication fork, he snaked up one side of the split strand in suitably helical fashion, forming the genetic basis of a new person to be born into the world of man as a wordian Adamic sultan, the first and only of his kind. The remaining, opposing strand that emerged from the parental molecule was thusly accommodated to form the genetic basis for the Adamic sultan’s twin brother.
0 Replies