What's filing down my dogs nails?

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 05:23 am
Its been months since my dog has had his last nail trim but they haven't been getting longer; they never touch the floor. The other day, I decided to trim his nails a bit simply because so much time had passed. He has black nails, so I cut a small slice at a time until I see the pink oval; his quick.

However, this time, after I cut the first slice, it started to bleed. I applied septic power and stopped trimming. His nails really are too short to need trimming.

Still, it brought me to ask myself a question: what is wearing down his nails?

One thing that has changed in his life is that he's begun digging. He does it a couple of times a day when he goes out to play in our backyard. Still, how can the soft earth file nails?

Another thing that I thought about was the fact that we have only hard floors in our house. For some reason he likes to pretend to "dig" through them. However, the floors aren't textured, so how could it file his nails?

Are there any other things that could file a dogs nails?

Also, should I just not trim his nails until they're long enough to touch the floor? Right now, they're short enough to be hidden behind the fur of his paws. They're certainly not long enough to touch the floor.

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 05:48 am
@PinkLipstick,
Sorry for asking, but why on earth would you cut your dog's nails when you have already stated that they hadn't grown and weren't touching the ground?
It is almost impossible for a trained person to ascertain where a black claw "quick" starts, let alone an amateur, and when it is cut into, it causes the dog immense pain and bleeds like buggery.

Poor dog! Ouch!

Dog's, when they walk, trot or run on hard surfaces.....tarmac, concrete etc., naturally give themselves a nail trim, purely through abrasion.

My advice would be to leave your dog's claws well alone in future, unless you are absolutely sure that they have grown so long that they may cause a problem. Even then I would advise getting a pro to do them.

PinkLipstick

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 06:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
I cut them because it's recommended that you cut your dogs nails at least once a month. However, mine hasn't had his nails cut in several months. Also, I've been wrong about my dogs growth before. I could swear that he hasn't changed at all since the day I first got him. However, now that I look at his older pictures, I know that he has indeed gotten a lot taller and his fur has even changed colors. Because I'm constantly with my dog, I don't notice any changes. Thus, I could not trust my judgement.

Needless to say, I will not be cutting his nails until they reach the floor from now on.

However, I wouldn't say I'm an amateur. I clipped his nails frequently back when he was not a digger. His nails needed to be trimmed once a week because they always grew back so quickly. I never cut into his quick before now. Even then, I had the septic powder readily available. Also, the bleeding didn't start until a minute later and he didn't react to it; he was sleeping. This is because I literally only shaved the tip of his nail off, as per the guidelines of the ASPCA. In fact, it only caused bleeding because his nails had already been shaved off up until his quick.

Also, he does not walk on concrete. The only surfaces he has contact with on a day to day basis are the soft dirt and our hard wood floors. I'd understand if he walked on concrete since it's textured, but that's not it. Could the smooth hard wood floors be producing the same effect?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 06:24 am
If y ou walk your dog and you live in a city, the concrete of the sidewalks files them down. This is something we never worry about. I walk the dogs at least once a day, and there is never an issue with their claws growing too long.
PinkLipstick

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:09 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you for your response. However, we've been on a farm for the past few months (visiting our grandma) and there's only dirt outside. So, he has not had contact with concrete.

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:14 pm
@PinkLipstick,
It doesn't necessarily need to be a rock hard surface. If he's out most of the time and active, there'll be some degree of abrasive trimming going on.
PinkLipstick

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 10:41 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Oh, I see. He has been very active; he spends most of his time running around the fields and digging holes.
0 Replies