Photos from Iraq

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:13 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

Quote:

Never forget who the REAL enemy is. People like Hobitbob who post up pictures of the president as the enemy are as deluded as those idiots hiding their faces.

I agree with this. Posting Bush's picture in this context was inappropriate.

I posted Bush's picture as a reminder of who is really responsible for the war, and all of the casualties, on either side. WIlso then took it one mega-step further than I was comfortable with. If you truly feel that doing so makes me "the enemy," then you have proiven yourself to be little better than the "love it or leave it" crowd, and that would dissapoint me greatly.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:14 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Craven,

I will edit out the word if you would like.

My attempt at being "moderate" is my position that it is important for both sides of the argument to look at the ugly images that are relevant to each position.

It is wrong for either side to close their eyes to the difficulties in their position.

I don't care if the word is there, I do however want you to explain what is moderate about not supporting the first gulf war, one in which a direct response to an invasion was made.

There was nothing moderate about not supporting the first gulf war. In fact I opposed it with extreme prejudice.

That wasn't the point of my post.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:29 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

Cjhsa,

You called a fellow American citizen an "enemy" because he disagreed with you.

You have nothing to say.

I have no proof that sam is an American, much less a citizen. Do you?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:30 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

There was nothing moderate about not supporting the first gulf war. In fact I opposed it with extreme prejudice.

That wasn't the point of my post.

Ok, let's try it this way: why didn't you support the first Gulf War? That's what I'm curious about and the "moderate" qualifier is a red herring I got into.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's not the pictures. It's the logic behind showing the pictures as a method of stressing a point. Yes kids get hurt, yes kids get killed. To blame the US a sole contributors to the violence is disingenuous though. the US is not fighting an armed resistance of women and children, we are fighting a war against cowards who hide amongst women and children.

Show the pictures of the gangs of thugs wearing masks and holding up the AK's and RPG's. Then show them running away as soon as an American soldier appears. Show them hiding in the shadows as the cowards they are.

Never forget who the REAL enemy is. People like Hobitbob who post up pictures of the president as the enemy are as deluded as those idiots hiding their faces.

McGentrix - I think the pictures you describe are all over the media - the people and sites showing the pictures of what is happening on the other side are attempting, in general, to achieve some balance on what is reported in the west. Of course, some are attempting to foment hatred against the coalition - just as others will say things like "gutpiles rock". Neither side has an exclusive on crazy thinking and maniacal one-sidedness.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:20 pm
I'm just perplexed that there is any kind of logic involved in showing the pictures. Objectivism gone astray?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:22 pm
The source of the photos is irrelevant. The facts of what they reveal is relevant to a moral discussion of this war, or any other war. What they reveal is also relevant, and highly relevant, to how many generations of Muslims might come to hate us.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:39 pm
Well, I guess I just prefer American propaganda over Arab propaganda.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:43 pm
That's honest!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:02 pm
Canadian propaganda is, like, WAY cooler than American propaganda.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:04 pm
Take off, hoser!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:21 pm
Here are some more photos from Iraq and the surrounding area. Although there is nothing gory in these photos, I'm reasonably sure you won't be seeing them on the local or national news. And that's too bad.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:25 pm
I saw pictures of American occupiers, and and Iraqi partisans. What did you see?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:26 pm
I saw pretty much what the captions said.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:32 pm
I'm sure you did.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:46 pm
Facts
The majority of Iraqis did not request for the US & U to invade their country and kill around 10,000 of them. Now the Occupation of Iraq is starting to become odious to many Iraqis not just the former Baathists. Even if a faction of Shi'ites desire to have a Shai Law Govt. is it the right of the US to deny Iraq whatever sort of Govt. that Iraqis eventualy decide to have?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:54 pm
Just FYI, it's not only the US in Iraq. There are 49 countries committed to the Coalition. El Salvador even has soldiers there.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:55 pm
Tarantala, you aren't helping your case.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:59 pm
Yeah
Right, the coalition of the paid.

That doesn't address my commentary though.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:04 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
[ Here are some more photos from Iraq and the surrounding area[/url]. Although there is nothing gory in these photos, I'm reasonably sure you won't be seeing them on the local or national news. And that's too bad.

Tarantulas, at least two of the photos in the collection you posted, including the one of the Iraqi gun man walking by the body of the tanker driver, were published in the New York Times.
0 Replies