Does "Engage brain before opening mouth" mean "think twice before you leap"?

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:12 am

Context:

"You play with fire the fire will get you.- Sabah , Bath, 27/7/2013 11:12>>>>Engage brain before opening mouth or in your case engaging fingers.The guy was highlighting an issue that needed to be addressed before someone did it in a rather more obvious way. - Birdy, Chester, United Kingdom, 27/7/2013 11:51 , it is not my fault if you could not understand my sentence. If you play with fire the fire will get you. Now go and analyse this before insulting people." Mmm, i think what this is trying to say in a rather roundabout way is that if you play or interfere with the big boys the big boys will not play fair? Probably wrong though.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,522 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:18 am
Sabah's not very slick in English. "Engage brain before opening mouth" means think about what you will say before you say it. "Think twice before you leap" was cute, but a native English speaker would likely use the shop-worn, tried and true locution "look before you leap."
0 Replies