Dealing with family illness long distance

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:07 pm
My deepest sympathy to you eoe. I am glad that you were with him, to give him comfort at the end.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 04:03 pm
I'm so sorry, eoe. How are you doing now?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:02 pm
eoe - I hope I have your strength if and when I need it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:03 pm
I'm so sorry, eoe. But glad for you that you were able to be there at the end of his life. I wish I could offer you more comfort than mere words.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:52 am
You all have no idea of how comforting and supportive you were. Just knowing that there was a group of people waiting to catch me if and when I fell was a source of strength that's impossible to describe.

I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:14 am
How are you doing now, eoe?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:32 am
My condolences too, eoe. It is good that you were there.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 01:36 pm
I'm doing pretty good, Eva. So relieved that he's no longer in pain, I can't help but rejoice on that tip. I know that he's at peace, wrapped up in his mother's arms and that too is a comfort.

Of course, I'm very, very proud of myself for finding the courage to stay by his side until his transition was complete. Isn't it ironic? In the beginning, remember, I was trying to figure out a way not to deal with it at all and in the end, not only was I there, I was THERE and terrified by the process but it was him and me and God for the last five hours of his life and I feel blessed, truly, to have had such an incredible experience and will always look to that morning for the rest of my life whenever I need a shot of strength or empowerment about anything.

It still hasn't quite registered that he's really gone and I know that's to come. There's a big hole in my heart that will never be filled. But we've got memories and his memorial service and the party afterwards was beautiful and joyous. I saw high school classmates that I hadn't seen in over thirty years. It was truly something. I know that he was very pleased.

As Noddy noted, it was a good death. He faced it head on and stayed strong until the end.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 02:19 pm
I'm proud of you, eoe. Good for you.

And good for your brother, to go in the way he did. And good for your mother, for imparting such strength to her children.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 03:11 pm
I'm proud of you, too. It must have taken a lot out of you to go through all that. But then, it's true...often the most worthwhile things we do are the hardest. I hope you are taking good care of yourself right now.

Most of all, I hope we all have someone we love with us when it is our turn to go.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:30 pm
eoe

I agree whole-heartedly with sozobe & Eva's words, just now. I remember your earlier fears & I'm so glad you over-came them. This will always be a comfort to you when remembering your brother. And now I hope you are taking extra good care of yourself. My thoughts are with you.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:25 pm
Slowly coming back to the everyday world. By Monday, I'll start my exercise routine again and get back to work. Deadlines have been extended to accomodate things but the deadlines do still exist. Been drinking more than usual these last two weeks (the first week, my sister-in-law put away a bottle of wine nitely with either me, when I was not on duty at the hospital, or her husband, my other bro, who kept us going the second week on pitchers of Cosmopolitans while planning the services and repast). I've got to cut back on the booze. While I'm taking it easy, I've got to be very careful not to become a saddened, drunken slug. It's such an easy thing to fall into.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:30 pm
Gently, gently, eoe. Take extra good care of yourself. Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
Hugs, eoe
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 04:22 pm
Save up the booze money and spend it on massages & chocolate. Take it from me...it works better.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:33 pm
Tomorrow is my brother's birthday. He would have been 55 years old. It hurts. I miss his presence in the world.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:45 pm
<big sigh>

{{{{eoe}}}} I wish I could give you a real hug.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:23 am
Me too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:22 am
Thinking of you today, eoe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:15 pm
Just saw this,

a handclasp to eoe... and your sisterinlaw and your mother.
0 Replies