I wish I "wouldn't have" to.....

McTag

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 10:43 am
@JTT,

Quote:
That's not what you said. This,

"And lose the comma."

is what you said. How can anyone trust your judgment when you make such obvious errors?

You twisted little object. It's not an error, it's a suggestion for better style. The comma is unnecessary, and therefore in my opinion should be left out. It doesn't add anything. OP, lose the comma please, lest your style of writing begin to resemble JTT's.
JTT

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 03:41 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
It's not an error,

It most assuredly is an error. You didn't suggest that stylistically it would be better. You specifically said, "And lose the comma".

Quote:
it's a suggestion for better style. The comma is unnecessary, and therefore in my opinion should be left out. It doesn't add anything.

You're babbling. A sure sign that you are flustered. The comma is necessary, if the speaker/writer wants to pause there.

You've got to stop simply repeating silly nonsense you've read in some style manual because either it's dumb advice or you don't grasp how it should be applied in language.

The size and the volume of this little McTag diversion leads me to believe you've done this to avoid having to face,

jtt:
Quote:
Explain how it isn't grammatical, Contrex.

jtt: [to McTag] The likelihood of Contrex showing up to address this or any language issue is about the same as a snowball's chance in hell. Maybe you'd like to pick up the slack for the English "teacher".
JTT

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 03:56 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
It is US colloquial.

Google Exact phrase search - "wish he wouldn't have"
UK region specified
About 3,360,000 results (0.24 seconds)

US region specified
About 57,700,000 results (0.56 seconds)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 03:56 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Never heard "wouldn't" used this way that I can recall.

US region specified
About 57,700,000 results (0.56 seconds)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 04:27 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
It most assuredly is an error. You didn't suggest that stylistically it would be better. You specifically said, "And lose the comma".

There is no error. (copyright: JTT). You are losing your rather shaky grip on reality.
JTT

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 05:32 pm
@McTag,
McTag studiously avoiding.

As I mentioned, Contrex won't show because he is a language idiot. You agreed with him, so go ahead and explain how it is ungrammatical.

Plus you added that nonsense opinion **** you're so famous for - "it's not really a rule, just something I pulled out of my ass".
McTag

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 03:40 am
@JTT,

Quote:
McTag studiously avoiding.

As I mentioned, Contrex won't show because he is a language idiot. You agreed with him, so go ahead and explain how it is ungrammatical.

Plus you added that nonsense opinion **** you're so famous for - "it's not really a rule, just something I pulled out of my ass".

A JTT classic. Not only misrepresenting the facts to malign people, not only making a storm in a teacup, but peppered with gratuitous insult.

Your professors must be really impressed with the way their pupil turned out.
JTT

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 10:11 am
@McTag,
You are studiously avoiding discussing the language issue. You and Contrex were wrong. I suspect out of a real fear that you will once again embarrass yourself.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 12:26 pm
@three3nity,
three3nity wrote:

Sometimes, I wish I wouldn't have to wear glasses or contact lenses.
Is this grammatically correct?

"I wish I wouldn't", seems to imply more of a choice than, "I wish I didn't", which seems to be more as an obligation. To me, the words set a different 'tone' to the sentence; "wouldn't" seems softer than "didn't".
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 11:38 am
@Jack of Hearts,
You are correct, JoH, that modal verbs express emotion, modal verbs are emotive. But in the case of 'would', I don't think there is an issue of choice. 'would' equals 'will' as an expression of level of certainty.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 02:17 pm
@McTag,
How is it that neither you or Contrex can manage to discuss the language issues that you raise?
McTag

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:18 pm
@JTT,
How is it that you cannot post for long without peevishness, unpleasantness, arrogance and profanity?
JTT

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:19 pm
@McTag,
I knew it, but it shouldn't have come as any surprise - McTag can't address the language issues he all too often badly analyzes.

And Contrex, fuggedabouit!
remi19

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 05:30 am
@contrex,
Hello my name is remi. I'm 19 years.
I'm come from france and I'm a sutdent.
I Come on this forum to discuss with English because my professor asked me to improve my language.
It would be a real experience for me!
Thank you in advance

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 12:01 pm
@remi19,
Welcome, Remi.

Start asking questions and discussing away. That's the best way.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 04:18 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
McTag can't address the language issues he all too often badly analyzes.

McTag feels disinclined to answer pointless, impertinent questions from such an unpleasant source. He wonders why such an overblown saga as this might be considered necessary, why such a trivial point about the presence or absence of a misplaced comma should be graced with the description of a "language issue", and whether the self-appointed inquisitor could not find something useful to do.
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 10:24 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
He wonders why such an overblown saga as this might be considered necessary, why such a trivial point about the presence or absence of a misplaced comma should be graced with the description of a "language issue", and whether the self-appointed inquisitor could not find something useful to do.

There was no misplaced comma. There was an optional comma. But that wasn't the language issue I was referencing.

Quote:
OP: Sometimes, I wish I wouldn't have to wear glasses or contact lenses.
Is this grammatically correct?

Quote:
Contrex: No. It is US colloquial. Replace "wouldn't" with "didn't" for standard English.

Quote:
McTag: Yes. And lose the comma.

Both you and Contrex misanalyzed. The OP's initial question isn't ungrammatical but that language boob, Contrex, stated it was and you merrily followed him into boobdom.

Your advice on the comma was bogus too. When you're wrong you're wrong.

McTag

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 03:12 pm
@JTT,

Don't be so silly.
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 10:22 pm
@McTag,
Unable to discuss the language issues, McTag goes to his diversions song and dance.
McTag

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 03:01 am
@JTT,

JTT returns to his topic like a dog to his sick.

Unwilling to entertain JTT's trivia, McTag brushes him off.