What do you make of this illustration?

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 04:58 pm
This isn't some sort of psychological test or anything, I'm only posting it to satisfy my own curiosity. There are no right or wrong answers.

This is an illustration that appeared in one of our city's free weekly newspapers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/wwillustration_zps500e32eb.jpg

What's doing you think is going on with the kid in the background?

What would you think this image is supposed to illustrate?

Thanks!

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:29 pm
I take it
1) as sending a smoke signal, but I've no idea why, if so.
2) that's a gun in his hand for some reason and he pulled the trigger, maybe to keep the big rabbit out of the vegetable patch.
3) he wants the community garden to be a playing field and is letting off steam with his travel smart steamer.
4) he thinks the woman is smokin' hot.
5) he's lit a cigar and turned it away from her not to annoy her.

I can be convinced of some other reason if I could figure it out.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:27 pm
@boomerang,
The teenager has a very long not-so-humanly spaghetti arm. I'm assuming he's either smoking a very large yet invisible cigar/cigarette or we have an artist who is sooo bloody lazy that he/she just didn't finish a campfire in the background in which the teen is standing by.

Either way, the artist value is crappy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:01 pm
Thanks, osso and tsar.

To me it seemed to insinuate a gun, or a smoke of some kind.

I can't figure out what it has to do with the article but the gardening girl doesn't have much to do with the article either.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:14 pm
@boomerang,
I assumed cigarette or pot smoke.

Some sort of community garden -- one person working hard, the other one goofing off.

I also didn't really think the guy in the back is a kid -- just perspective. Seems about the same size/ age as the person in front.
boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:32 pm
@sozobe,
Oh!

Allegory!

I hadn't thought of it as one hard worker v. one slacker. That kind of makes sense in the context of the article.

(Although I do notice that hard worker has a goofy grip on her hoe.)
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:49 pm
boys are slackers

the girl in front is working in the school/community garden, the boy in back is whistling/smoking/slacking off in some random way

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Not to mention that boys have cooties.

Thank you. I can get that from the drawing for sure.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:18 pm
@boomerang,
though he does seem to have harvested one whatever-it-is
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:26 pm
@ehBeth,
aha!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:28 pm
@boomerang,
i think he was digging in the dirt with his hands, which now smell of manure, and that the point is that the girl was smart enough to use the proper tool.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:29 pm
Looks like he just rubbed one of those magic lamps that keep cropping up. Genie is trying to materialize. Looks like a feminine type.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:30 pm
Maybe he's asking the spirits why she gets to use a hoe and he has none. Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:33 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Not to mention that boys have cooties.

Too true. I can account for that truth.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

though he does seem to have harvested one whatever-it-is

i think planting, and she is done while he is pondering his smelly hand.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Looks like he just rubbed one of those magic lamps that keep cropping up. Genie is trying to materialize. Looks like a feminine type.

I thought that one up as well. Certainly not the drawing isn't the same level of production quality as say Disney's Aladdin though.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:46 pm
i think bottom line this is probably about our disconnect from nature, from how food is produced. this boy has not the slightest idea where the stink comes from, which would have been impossible just a generation ago when most everyone had at least visited the countryside a time or two, seen a farm, smelled a farm once. .......which is enough to remember the smell forever.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:59 pm
It could be a depiction of wind rather than smoke. Perhaps he is trying to determine the wind direction with his raised hand.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:05 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
(Although I do notice that hard worker has a goofy grip on her hoe.)
again with the idea that these two are rank amateurs at dealing with growing food, with nature.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
I am doubting that is the point of it, but maybe so. In any case, some community gardens are fostered by people learning in their different ways.

Maybe the guy just refuses to weed.