What are the BEST drawing pens for producing animation and comics, and which ones do the pros use?

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 12:46 am
Hi. I am interested in producing my own animation and comics and doing this professionally.

I need to order some drawing pens from Walmart.com. I am on a fixed income- I am using a Walmart credit card with a $300 spending limit.

I want a set of black ink,quality drawing pens with varying nibs, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on them.

I would prefer to get a pack that has at least 8 pens in it, but no less than 6.

I read and saw some reviews for some brands out there- the three best ones out there are Sigma Micron, Prismacolor, and Faber-Castle.

I was trying to find all black ink, 8-pc packs of Sigma Micron pens with varying nibs on Walmart.com. I haven't found any on there yet.

Which brand and set of pens SHOULD I
get?

Should I get a pack in one of these brands, or in another brand?

Based on what I've seen and read online, I'm inclined to get a pack of Sakura Micron pens- a set of black ink pens with varying nibs that have at least 8 pens in the pack.

I don't really care for Prismacolor or Faber-Castel too much.

I've seen 10- and 12-pc black ink Sakura Micron drawing pens with varying nibs for sale online but not on Walmart.com.

If there's a brand that's better than Micron, and I can get a pack of black ink pens with varying nibs that have at least 8-pc, please let me know.

STA pigment liner pens look like good pens to get.

I know some people like to draw using brush pens. I don't really care for those and I don't think I really need those right now.

What drawing pens do the pros use? The ones most pro animators and pro comics people use?

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,097 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 02:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
Its all about the guy holding the pens. "Youre only as good as your equipment" is a marketing phrase.
I used to make my own dippy pens out of sharpened or edged dry willow branches or even bamboo.
They both made super contour lines so I could change thickness of the lines while drawing.
Did you ever try scratch-board using rigged up old DARTS?? , they achieve some radical effects.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:08 pm
@JGoldman10,
This is an easy one for me. Rapidograph pens. I adore them.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 06:17 pm
@boomerang,
I have a set of Rapidographs .04 through 6.0 . Do they even sell these any more?? For really fine drawing lines I likd crowquills.
0 Replies

jillgoslinga

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2019 08:55 am
@JGoldman10,
Best Ballpoint Pen: Uni-Ball Jetstream Pen
very good pen for every situation
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 06:35 pm
Thank you Jill and Boom for responding. I am happy with the Micron pens I ordered.
0 Replies