What pencils and pens do most professional animation and comics people use?

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 12:44 am
Hi. I was an animation student years ago, and I want to go into comics. I should know this. I want to produce my own cartoons and comics but I didn't keep up with all this stuff.

All I know off-hand is that animators traditionally use pencils like 2B and HB, and non-photo red and non-photo blue.

I need to order these supplies online from Walmart.com.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 984 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 12:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
try Jerry's artorqma. Pencils in all grades of H to D are used basd on applications .I use both H and D and even the watrsoluble forms . When I did newspaper cartoons yars ag. I used pattern pare to get shaing ffet. Today w use color in all media.

what kind of cartooning are you doing lately??

I dont like MANGA style cartoons, it looks so damn CGI , quite featureless and uncreative.

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 01:26 pm
@farmerman,
Normal, Western-style stuff. I don't like anime or manga.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 08:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
oooh my spelling was really off back one post. When I did pol cartoons and mag, I used the same parker pen I had for 10 years. I used a bit watered down indelible ink (not India) That way I could use white out to hide any mistakes. We used a xerox and My stuff went right to the styles and pol editors so they could pass on whether the idea came across well enough.

Ink on board over a blue out pencil .My original sketches were always done in 3B(I loved 3B) just soft enough and it ws a good deal blacker that the H could ever be.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:15 am
@farmerman,
You'll never be cast as Hamlet.

2B or not 2B, that is the pencil.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:27 am
@izzythepush,
I be wantin a higher "B".
izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:30 am
@farmerman,