Does "mouse chow" mean "mouse meal"?

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 06:02 pm

chow: informal terms for a meal here?

Context:

Animals
All experimental animals were maintained on a C57BL/6J background on a 12-h light/dark cycle in a pathogen-free animal facility at Nanjing University. The Institutional Review Board of Nanjing University approved all housing and surgical procedures. At 10 weeks of age, each mouse was fed fresh rice total RNA (80 μg), synthetic MIR168a (300 pmol), or synthetic methylated MIR168a (300 pmol) by gavage after fasting overnight. After a fixed time interval (i.e., 0.5 h, 3 h, or 6 h), serum and tissues were collected and total RNA was extracted. In a separate experiment, after fasting overnight, two groups of 10-week-old male mice were placed on a diet of either mouse chow (the fundamental ingredients of the chow diet are listed in Supplementary information, Table S5) or fresh rice. Fresh food was administered every 3 days from a supply stored at −20 °C, and food consumption and body weight were measured. The mice were maintained on the diets for a fixed time interval (i.e., 0.5, 3, or 6 h, or 1, 3, or 7 days), after which serum and tissues were collected. Furthermore, the mice fed on rice received tail vein injections of ncRNA or anti-MIR168a (10 nmol each). After a fixed time interval (i.e., 0.5, 3, or 6 h, or 1, 3, or 7 days), sera and tissues were collected. Several mice were euthanized directly after overnight fasting, and their sera and tissues were collected as a control. In a separate experiment, synthetic MIR168a or ncRNA (100 pmol) were mixed evenly with 5 g of mouse chow. To avoid miRNA degradation and contamination, this food was prepared before feeding. qRT-PCR was used to

MOre:
http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v22/n1/full/cr2011158a.html 01:59 amContributing Member1,457Joined 5th October 2007High mind turns the grace of the universe as the glory of your life.REPLY

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 06:18 pm
@oristarA,
There's a company named Ralston Purina that has long manufactured and sold pet foods, and also foods geared toward lab animals.

The public is mostly familiar with their brands Dog Chow and Cat Chow.

They have a division called Purina LabDiet that makes rodent chow, rabbit chow, guinea pig chow etc.

The words "chow" here in the United States is also a slang word for food. American soldiers call the place they eat the chow hall.
oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 08:58 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

There's a company named Ralston Purina that has long manufactured and sold pet foods, and also foods geared toward lab animals.

The public is mostly familiar with their brands Dog Chow and Cat Chow.

They have a division called Purina LabDiet that makes rodent chow, rabbit chow, guinea pig chow etc.

The words "chow" here in the United States is also a slang word for food. American soldiers call the place they eat the chow hall.

Excellent!
The informal has been turned into the formal.
chai2

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:44 am
@oristarA,
Why yes, that's a good point.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:57 am
If anyone ever proves that sasquatch exists, or, better yet, captures a sasquatch, Purina will come out with Sasquatch Chow within weeks.
dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 01:17 pm
@Setanta,
What do they eat?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 04:37 pm
Unwary wabbits . . .
chai2

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:07 am
@Setanta,
chow chow chow!

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:02 am
Your question brought a smile to my face for the origins of the word chow are found in your country, ironically.

CHOW
Quote:
from Chinese Pidgin English chowchow which means food, perhaps based on Cantonese 炒, lit. stir fry (cooking)

Chinese immigrants worked on the railroads and in the gold fields in the 19th century.
http://theaznpersuasion.weebly.com/uploads/1/9/6/1/19617967/5247907_orig.jpg
oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 11:55 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Your question brought a smile to my face for the origins of the word chow are found in your country, ironically.

CHOW
Quote:
from Chinese Pidgin English chowchow which means food, perhaps based on Cantonese 炒, lit. stir fry (cooking)

Chinese immigrants worked on the railroads and in the gold fields in the 19th century.
http://theaznpersuasion.weebly.com/uploads/1/9/6/1/19617967/5247907_orig.jpg

Not an irony at all. Because I knew its origin. It is an informal word, however, that has been now used in the highly acclaimed scientific magazine Science (which enjoys its authoritative honor in the academic field is very FORMAL).
panzade

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 12:08 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Because I knew its origin

Ahhh so you are testing us.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 02:05 am
@panzade,
Frequently and sometimes a little testily.
0 Replies