Is elmo a loving nickname for elm?

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 09:14 am

Context:

Saving Elmo: Why we fought to protect one urban tree
11 November 2013 by Stephanie Pain
Magazine issue 2942. Subscribe and save

IT BEGAN with three large letters: R.I.P. Normally on such a freezing night I'd have rushed straight by in my hurry to get home, but something caught my eye. Pinned to the trunk of a tree I had passed countless times was a scrap of paper – and those three letters.

I hadn't taken much notice of the tree before. It stood tall and solitary at the edge of a notorious roundabout, a welcome living thing in a sea of tarmac. It was a large elm with deeply fissured bark and sturdy upswept branches. I stretched my arms around its trunk: they scarcely reached half way. What did that ominous message mean?

Back home I discovered what the anonymous note-writer already knew: in two days the tree would be gone, felled as part of a scheme to reconfigure the roundabout to make it safer and more attractive. Streets first laid ...

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 09:18 am
@oristarA,
The name Elmo is not associated with the tree elm.

But, because there is a name that starts with elm, they just tagged the "o" on the end to give it a name.

Also, there is the Disney movie "Saving Nemo", and "Saving Elmo" is a play on that.

Not to mention the popular Sesame Street character Elmo.

So, in all, they were just being clever.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 09:32 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

The name Elmo is not associated with the tree elm.

But, because there is a name that starts with elm, they just tagged the "o" on the end to give it a name.

Also, there is the Disney movie "Saving Nemo", and "Saving Elmo" is a play on that.

Not to mention the popular Sesame Street character Elmo.

So, in all, they were just being clever.

The Pixar movie is in fact titled, Finding Nemo. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266543/combined

But the idea behind the story is pretty much what Chai said. "So, in all, they were just being clever."

Elmo is a character from a children's educational TV show. He's not in any way related to the Elm tree. The writer of said piece was trying to be funny by creating a lame pun from the type of tree and the Sesame Street character.
chai2

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 09:34 am
@tsarstepan,
but....didn't they save Nemo after they found him?

I can't keep up with all this new-fangled stuff
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 09:35 am
@chai2,
They did save Nemo ... but who knows why they chosen the movie's actual title.
roger

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 05:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, DUH! First they had to find him - or it, or whatever.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 03:50 pm
Elmo is a friendly diminutive of the Italian male given name Guglielmo (equivalent of Spanish Guillermo, French Guillaume, English William, and German Wilhelm.)
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 04:01 pm
In the very dim and distant past, I somehow remember farmerman once describing an elmo as the act of giving one's third cousin a handjob, or something like that.

I could be wrong.
contrex

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 04:39 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
farmerman once describing an elmo as the act of giving one's third cousin a handjob

Is he from the Ozarks, where an orgy is defined as "when family is over"?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 04:41 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Oh Lordy, I certainly hope you are mistaken.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 04:43 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

In the very dim and distant past, I somehow remember farmerman once describing an elmo as the act of giving one's third cousin a handjob, or something like that.

I could be wrong.
Then u better not grab your cousin, Lordy.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Too late was the cry. Prendergast was horrified.

The case has been adjourned until January, where I will be calling farmerman as a defence witness.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:19 am
Damn!

Well, I was nearly right......

Fifteenth post down on this page....
http://able2know.org/topic/92414-443
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 01:49 pm
You are absolutely correct--and Elmo's dearest friends are Larcho, Beecho and Yewo. They meet annually at a cheap motel in Plano, Texas.
contrex

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:01 pm
Weren't Oakey and Moroder a musical duo in the 1980s?

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:38 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You are absolutely correct--and Elmo's dearest friends are Larcho, Beecho and Yewo. They meet annually at a cheap motel in Plano, Texas.

They are the loving nicknames of Larch, Beech and Yew?
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 11:29 am
Not me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 11:55 am
@oristarA,
You might better use 'affectionate' than 'loving'. It would not sound nearly so strange, though again, I don't know about British.
SamSingh78

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 03:50 am
@chai2,
I agree with you chai2. Elm is also good as a nicename but it doesn't relate to them.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 08:59 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

You might better use 'affectionate' than 'loving'. It would not sound nearly so strange, though again, I don't know about British.

Same here. Affectionate. Or just "a nickname". Affection or at least friendly intent is usually (but not always) implied by use of a nickname or contraction of a name.

0 Replies