rotation of life or something similar?

KaJe

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 11:22 am
How is it called that living beings continually die and new lives come into being on Earth. How is this eternal succession of lives called in English?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,445 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 11:38 am
@KaJe,
KaJe wrote:

How is it called that living beings continually die and new lives come into being on Earth. How is this eternal succession of lives called in English?

The "eternal succession of lives" in English is written: The eternal succession of lives.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 11:54 am
@KaJe,
Kaje reference is seldom made to the lives therein, while the whole thing is simply called "Eternity"

https://www.google.ca/#q=eternal+succession+of+lives
KaJe

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:01 pm
Well, if I translate the phrase used in my language, it is circulation of life, or gyration/rotation /rotary motion / circumvolution / circuit / circle of life. Is not one of them used in English?
KaJe

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:02 pm
@dalehileman,
No, eternity is very different than what I thought about.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:04 pm
@KaJe,
KaJe wrote:

Well, if I translate the phrase used in my language, it is circulation of life, or gyration/rotation /rotary motion / circumvolution / circuit / circle of life. Is not one of them used in English?

((sigh)) Circle of Life is a bloody Disney song from the Lion King.
timur

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:06 pm
@KaJe,
You mean this, maybe:

Quote:
The day of creation is a profound allegory dealing with the journey of man along the wheel of life from one birth to the next.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:44 pm
@KaJe,
The American Association for the Advancement of Science refers to it as The Cycle of Life.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 02:00 pm
@KaJe,
Quote:
No, eternity is very different than what I thought about.
Of course Kaj as eternity doesn't necessarily entail life. However I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a circle and can't see why or how it should rejoin
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 05:39 pm

We talk of cycles of life, the life cycle, phrases like that.
KaJe

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 08:55 am
@tsarstepan,
Really bloody.
0 Replies

KaJe

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 08:56 am
@McTag,
As far as I know, l"ife cycle" refers to the course of a life, not to the succession of lives, which is very different.
Ragman

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 10:33 am
@KaJe,
Perhaps you're referring to the South Asian or eastern philosophical concept of karma?
timur

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 10:39 am
@Ragman,
Karma is part of it: Bhavacakra
0 Replies

KaJe

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 11:26 am
@Ragman,
????????????? NO! I'm talking about no religion. But about the simple thing that lives come to an end, and new living beings appear, not with the souls of the previous ones. It is called "the rotation of life", or something similar in my language, but it isn't said in English, as I see.
McTag

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:20 pm
@KaJe,

Quote:
As far as I know, l"ife cycle" refers to the course of a life, not to the succession of lives, which is very different.

I believe you to be wrong.
It can mean one life, but has wider and more general connotation.
JTT

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 10:09 pm
@KaJe,
[How] What is it called [that] when living beings continually die and new lives come into being on Earth. [How] What is this eternal succession of lives called in English?

'Circle of life' works for me in describing that, KaJe, but there may be a better one that eludes us all.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 05:58 pm
@McTag,

Life Cycle
Quote:
It can mean one life, but has wider and more general connotation.

"The life cycle of the frog" doesn't just concern an individual, let's call him Freddie Frog, but all frogs.
Similarly "The cycle of the seasons" is not just for 1906, but for every year.
JTT

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 08:46 pm
@McTag,
I agree, McTag.
0 Replies

KaJe

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 01:35 am
@McTag,
Now I'm sure it isn't said in English because you don't understand what I'm talking about. In my language too, "the life cycle of the frog" is said, which means all frogs, and it is like "a horse is eats oats." One horse is said, but actually it is about all horses. And yes, I can mention the life cycle of the product, for e.g. a tv, which doesn't mean the one Mr. John Smith buys in a shop, but all the same kind of products which go out of the factory. But in all these cases the many things act as one thing. And opposed to this, I'm talking about the case which has nothing to do with this thing, i.e. "life cycle." Though even this can be regarded as one, if I say "life as such." It means herbal, animal and human life at the same time. The "rotary motion of life," or "going round of life" means the thing life as such "does" through the deaths and reproduction of all living individuals.