ART TROVE IN MUNICH WORTH 1.5 BILLION EUROS

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 05:14 am
@farmerman,
There's obviously a list made by the Allies.
And then there are the normal "trading sources", like invoices, paid taxes etc
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 05:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I was just sort of thinking about the Nazi's famed insistence on perfect records of their "social activities"

From what I got from the very first article (NYT , since added to) is that many of the senior Gurlitts acquisitions were sales (actually traded) for passage out of Germany.

Does the "Allies list" include input from Russia?

izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 05:20 am
@Setanta,
Suits me. I'd rather not talk to you, you're a very dull little man.

Being called a **** by you is like being called a bit of a fascist by Hitler.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 05:44 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
From what I got from the very first article (NYT , since added to) is that many of the senior Gurlitts acquisitions were sales (actually traded) for passage out of Germany.

Does the "Allies list" include input from Russia?
It might be that the list is about trading outside Germany - some Dutch, Swiss and Austrian museums (and more, but I only have read now about those) bought art from him .... even before 1933.

The "Allies list" was, it seems, just done when the Americans had had much of artworks.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 12:04 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

First of all i understood that from what Walter wrote, and he's much better informed than you are. Second--don't talk to me, you miserable piece of ****.

Hear! Hear! [White wigged Foofie mumbling something about "pieces of ****." Foofie though sounds like he has marbles in his mouth?]
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 12:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

You mean the Nazis kept METICULOUS records of everything taken off of the bodies, after removal from the gas chambers, but kept poor records of the stolen art? Amazing, I say!
Foofie

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 12:10 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Being called a **** by you is like being called a bit of a fascist by Hitler.

[Foofie's white wig emitting a cloud of white powder, as he grumbles sounding like he has apparent marbles in his mouth.]
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 12:34 pm
Shut up Miller, you idiot.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 01:04 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

You mean the Nazis kept METICULOUS records of everything taken off of the bodies, after removal from the gas chambers, but kept poor records of the stolen art? Amazing, I say!
No. I neither wrote nor meant that. I'm sorry that you can't understand my English. I'll try better in future.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 02:20 pm
Hildebrand Gurlitt and Erhard Göpel (an art historian) visited Max Beckmann, who left Germany in 1937 to live in the Netherlands, and bought quite a few paintings in Amsterdam in 1943 and 1944.

These paintings as well as others are on this list of artwork, which was given back by the USA to him. [I do hope, I wrote it good enough that you could understand it, Foofie!]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 02:46 pm
Cornelius Gurlitt is the person, in whose apartment the art work was. He inherited it from his father, Hildebrand Gurlitt.

Hildebrand' cousin, Wolfgang Gurlitt, was an art dealer (and art collector) as well.
It could well be that some art work of his collection is among those 1,400 pieces ...
Wolfgang Gurlitt was the director of the Linz Lentos art museum for a couple of years - the museum thinks, four of their paintings by Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele are among that number.

Hildebrand Gurlitt lost his job as museum director in Zwickau and as head of the Hamburg art society due to his preferences for modern art and (in Hamburg) due to his Jewish ancestry.

Hildebrand Gurlitt became director of the Düsseldorf art society in 1948 until his death in 19956.

His cousin Wolfgang Gurlitt became director of the ("Hitler's") Linz art museum, which was named Wolfgang-Gurlitt-Museum until it was called Lentos museum a couple of years ago.

Privately, both didn't have any closer contacts. It is thought that they had business connections, though.

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:39 pm
@Setanta,
I didn't see Miller on this thred????
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Aren't we lucky
that Setanta has the authority to shut people up????

He even publishes the results of his I.Q. tests, free of charge!
Ain 't he a sweetie?!
He finds EVERYONE to be on the bottom of those I.Q. results.
( Geee, if all of his tested results are found to be idiots,
then where are all of the higher scorers?? )
Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:57 pm
As with just about everything else except obsessional, sexual love of firearms, you don't do sarcasm well, David. In fact, i can't think of anything you've ever done well here.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 04:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I didn't see Miller on this thred????
Now, in fairness to Mr. Setanta, farmer, he did not allege
that she is on this thread. He simply commanded her
not to talk any more, in the exercise of his authority over WHO can talk.

Do u dare to impugn his jurisdiction in this matter?????
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 04:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I'm grateful for your continuing help here on how this is all developing.
I'm confused by quite what you meant by your last sentence -
"Privately, both didn't have any closer contacts. It is thought that they had business connections, though."

They weren't close, personally, but may have had business contact?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 04:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
As with just about everything else except obsessional, sexual love of firearms,
you don't do sarcasm well, David. In fact, i can't think of anything you've ever done well here.
Well, its a good thing that I 'm so obsessionally interested
in your opinions and what u "can't think", Mr. Setanta.

A few months ago, at a gun freedom convention, I encountered a young boy
displaying his chromed M-1 Garand. (I prefer the M-14.)
He had a bandage on his thum; traditional (painful).

No one with a "sexual love of firearms" shud get too close to a Garand.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 05:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Setanta wrote:
Aren't we lucky
that Setanta has the authority to shut people up????

You have to admit though David, Foofie is a complete arse.

It's Malvolio's birthday today, which is probably why he's even more temperamental than usual, maybe he feels the chill hand of death upon his shoulder as he contemplates the void. He does like to proclaim his atheism loudly, almost as if he's trying to convince someone, but at the dead night, he still remembers what the nuns told him, about what happens to little boys who won't stop fiddling with that.

He's fucked in ways the rest of us can only imagine, follow my example, cut him a bit of slack.
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 06:00 pm
@izzythepush,
well, weve made it to page 4 before the snottygrams start.

Walter, please don't leave Im really interested in this story and its fallout on repatriating as many of these works as are possible.
Im a huge Klimt and SChille fan, Ive always liked their styles.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 06:31 pm
@farmerman,
They started page 3, and I just responded.

I would like to second what you said to Walter. I'm interested too.
0 Replies