Bf's Parents Have Issues! Help!

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 05:06 pm
I am 16. I have had a boyfriend for a year and a month. I am very serious about him & he is about me. His grades dropped and his parents split us up because his grades!? I feel like I am the one being punished. Oh they cant take his Xbox that he sits on all day. I love him and need him. I cant eat or sleep well? I have no way to contact him or see him? What do I do? His parents are very tough and mean to him? Should I call his mom? What should I say? What do I do?

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 07:20 pm
@Kayla905rose,
How about helping him to improve his grades? Help him with his studies.

You also might consider helping him to prioritize use of his time by making sure he's completed his homework and studying before you make daily demands for his attention.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 08:33 pm
@Kayla905rose,
Your BF's parents don't have "issues" - HE has complete control over this mess. HE needs to get his grades up. HE needs to do the work.

So, what's his problem? Does he play video games too much?

If he wants to see you, then all he has to do is improve his grades!! Seems simple enough for me.

Sit back and see if YOU are that important to him.

If he can't turn himself around then get out of this relationship.

Sorry to be so rough, but see this for what it is.
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 02:05 pm
@Kayla905rose,
Why are you making this all about you? Poor little you. You are being punished. You need him. You can't eat or sleep (bullcrap.) You can't contact him. What do you do?

Look, this is real simple. He needs to take care of his business. And his business as far as his parents are concerned is keeping his grades up. When my wife and I first met, she was in high school and I was in college (both of us were juniors.) Her parents initially were hesitant about us seeing each other because I was so much older. My wife thought it unfair. (I fully understood their reasons.) Bottom line, it was on us to abide by what they wanted. We did. After a month or so, her parents agreed that if she got her grades up, they would meet me and allow us to see each other in their home. She did what she had to do and got her grades up. Her parents began letting me come over and 3 years later we got married.

The point is that his parents have control. He is under their roof. What you can do is urge him to get his grades up. See each other in school. Talk to each other in school. Maybe, if they see him working to improve his grades, he can ask about talking to you on the phone for 15 minutes or so each day.

Who knows, it might work out well for you. But stop whining and trying to make this about you. This is about him and his grades.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 03:12 pm
@CoastalRat,
Yes Coastal Rat, your wife wanted something (you) and paid the price demanded (better grades)

Makes me wonder why this young man isn't automatically working harder to get his grades up....that is, if he wants to see this girl.

If as she says he is serious about her, I'd imagine good grades would be way ahead of his Xbox.

Sounds like he's made his decision.
Kayla905rose

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank You But There Isn't A Way I Can Contact Him Personally Only His Mom?
0 Replies

Kayla905rose

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:36 pm
@CoastalRat,
Please Don't Be Rude? I Was Asking A Question? Its Not A Debate!?
Kayla905rose

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:36 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank You!
0 Replies

Kayla905rose

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:38 pm
@CoastalRat,
And He Has Trouble With Learning.
0 Replies

Kayla905rose

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:41 pm
@chai2,
He has trouble learning.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:57 pm
@Kayla905rose,
So he'll have to work pretty hard.

Harder than he's worked to figure out his x-box.

So, you're making excuses for him? You love him and he loves you, but he can't take on working harder to convince his parents to let him see you?

Sounds pretty lame to me.
Kayla905rose

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 06:57 pm
@chai2,
Autisim is not and exuse ? I have add and deslexia as well? His parents are stubborn as bricks and abusive in certian ways
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 11:25 am
@Kayla905rose,
I wasn't being rude. Just honest. You are the one who wanted an answer to your questions and came to us. Sorry if you are not happy with some of the answers. If you only wanted to hear people commiserate with you about his terrible parents, then you should have skipped A2K and simply whined to all your best friends who would simply nod their heads in agreement.

The bottom line is that his parents have all the power here. You have none at all. I'm sure his parents are not asking more of him than he is capable of, so using his autism as an excuse for his poor grades is a non-starter for me.

Quote:
And He Has Trouble With Learning.
Some people do. But evidently his parents do not think he is putting enough time and effort into his studies.

Oh, yeah, one other thing. What is it with all the question marks on your sentences? You do know that question marks are only used at the end of questions, don't you? Statements such as
Quote:
Please Don't Be Rude?
should end with a period and not a question mark.
Kayla905rose

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:35 pm
@CoastalRat,
I am sorry, You were right all along. Smile Forgive me? Thanks I know you are just helping.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:55 pm
@Kayla905rose,
Coastal Rat is pretty good on all this. I reserve the right to argue with him, and vice versa, but usually I don't, since his takes are good. I have probably disagreed and will in the future.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:56 pm
@ossobuco,
This not about the immediate question, just talking.
CoastalRat

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 06:30 am
@ossobuco,
You and I disagree sometimes? I hadn't noticed. Of course, I'm getting older so maybe I just forgot.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 06:38 am
@Kayla905rose,
Nothing to forgive Kayla. I can understand your frustration. Part of growing up is the ability to accept criticism without getting mad and defensive. We've all been there.

I really do hope everything works out for you. I just feel you need to look at things from his parent's point of view. Trust me, they are doing what they think is best for his long term future. And if a little separation from you will help him buckle down, then it will be worth it. And if he thinks about you the way you think about him, he will put in the effort. Good luck.
0 Replies