21
   

So? Will you be boycotting Ender's Game?

 
 
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 12:10 pm
Quote:
Ender’s Game, slated for release on November 1, garnered several negative reactions, due to the author and producer, Orson Scott Card’s, homophobic beliefs. Geeks Out has proposed numerous events to attend while boycotting the actual movie.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/68891/ender-s-game-boycott-how-to-take-a-stand-against-the-controversial-movie

Some context regarding the author's obvious homophobia:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10401422/Enders-Game-will-the-film-be-derailed-by-the-authors-homophobia.html

An article about the author's response to the controversy:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/08/enders-game-orson-scott-card-statement/

The petition to boycott the film:
http://skipendersgame.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 4,808 • Replies: 78

 
chai2
 
  3  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 12:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
What?
Were they eating Barilla Pasta in the movie?

This is just getting too much like Thought Police. We're not supposed to go to certain movies, not supposed to eat certain foods, what next.....banning books from school libraries?

WTF's wrong with a little controversy? That's what the arts do.



Mame
 
  4  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 12:45 pm
Once again, some bully petition to boycott something because of how someone thinks. Are people not allowed to hold their own opinions? Not everyone has to like everyone or everything. What about individual rights?
chai2
 
  3  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:04 pm
@Mame,
We are so on the same page with this mame.

It's getting, no, it's Gotten ridiculous.

Don't see this movie, don't do this, don't do that, don't eat this, don't express a preference for a certain thing....you might offend someone....I remember Passion of the Christ being picketed, what a crock, all it did was increase ticket sales. I know I had no real desire to see it, but went because I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about.

I guess I'll just go sit in a dark room so I don't by accident do, say or feel something, anything.

I'll tell you what I'd like to boycott, all these groups that are always wanting to boycott something.

Christ Almighty, get a life already.

0 Replies
 
Baldimo
 
  1  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
What about this film is controversial? Having read the book at least 6 times, what about it is worth boycotting?
DrewDad
 
  4  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
If the film reflected Card's (IMO, reprehensible) personal views, then I might have been inclined to do so.

Lots of other artists contributed to the film, though, and boycotting the film would hurt them and not Card. He's already gotten his paycheck.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  2  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:19 pm
@Baldimo,
It's not the story. It could be the most amazing story ever known in the universe, but we're supposed to be morally outraged that the person who wrote or directed had an opinion, or now, or at some point during his life, did or said something that was not exactly the way he was supposed to think or speak.

Watch out Baldimo, or you may be boycotted next, for reading a book more than the approved 2.1847 times.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  3  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
The only reason I would "boycott" the film is if it got bad reviews. And that's not really a boycott it's just me not wanting to sit through a bad film.
Olivier5
 
  3  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't even boycott Louis Ferdinand Celine, though he was a Nazi collaborator, so no, I won't boycott a movie just because the book author is against gay marriage... I might not see it either, because it looked rather stupid. But if you had to stop reading Hemingway because he's a macho, ban Bukowski because he drinks too much, and shun the Beatles because they think they are "more famous than JC"... you'd end up giving up on great pieces of art for petty reasons.
0 Replies
 
contrex
 
  7  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:45 pm
He is one hell of a weirdo, that Scott Card character. He's a Mormon, a homophobe, has written a work of future fiction in which Barack Obama is likened to Adolf Hitler, and has veered close to being a global warming denier. Some people may agree with some or all of these views, some may not. That is their right. Some people may take a view on whether or not they want to see a film based on a book by this guy. That is their right too.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:50 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
What?
Were they eating Barilla Pasta in the movie?

This is just getting too much like Thought Police.
We're not supposed to go to certain movies, not supposed to eat
certain foods, what next.....banning books from school libraries?

WTF's wrong with a little controversy? That's what the arts do.
Very well said, Chai!
SO STIPULATED.

I 'm not anti-gay, but let 's fight against Political Correctness!!!





David
0 Replies
 
tsarstepan
 
  2  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:56 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Once again, some bully petition to boycott something because of how someone thinks. Are people not allowed to hold their own opinions? Not everyone has to like everyone or everything. What about individual rights?

Well considering you and Chai are not likely to be in a given minority where as large vocal groups are spending millions and millions of dollars in order to get your own life and lifestyle made into a permanent crime statute? I can see why you just don't care about what an author like Orson Scott Card does with his personal fortune.
Baldimo
 
  1  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 02:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Does that mean I should start boycotting all the lefties that I disagree with? I mean right now Bill Gates is trying to raise my income taxes here in the state of CO. Does that qualify as something worth boycotting? He doesn't live here, why should he be putting money into raising my taxes?
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  2  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 02:12 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
He is one hell of a weirdo, that Scott Card character. He's a Mormon, a homophobe, has written a work of future fiction in which Barack Obama is likened to Adolf Hitler, and has veered close to being a global warming denier. Some people may agree with some or all of these views, some may not. That is their right. Some people may take a view on whether or not they want to see a film based on a book by this guy. That is their right too.
Its a good thing for us
that we have Contrex, Esq. to let us know what our rights are
.





David
0 Replies
 
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well I'm boycotting Turbo because the star of the movie has the belief that snails should have equal rights - same as us humans- seeing how much I love escargot I cannot support such a movie.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  2  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 02:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh wah wah wah.

We've all got tough rows to hoe.
You think I haven't had tough times, and tough choices to make in life, utterly dependent on the way I was born? Or that my family hasn't? Think again.

This feels more like high school **** to me, jumping on some bandwagon of the moment.

See the movie, don't see the movie. Make up your own mind, but don't shove a petition in my face to be all outraged at something. And if I say I have no interest in your virtual piece of paper, don't make out like I don't understand that life is tough, it's not fair and that a lot of the time it just plain sucks.

Now excuse me while I go call my husband to see if he was able to get an appointment at the oncologist sometime before the end of the year, to see if he's got lung cancer, emphysema, or both. If I have time after that, I'll worry about whether someone should be legally married, so they can too have a 50% divorce rate.
Screw your movie, screw your spaghetti, screw you. I've got more important things to worry about than some stupid damn petition, and so should you.



Frank Apisa
 
  4  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 03:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Oh wah wah wah.

We've all got tough rows to hoe.
You think I haven't had tough times, and tough choices to make in life, utterly dependent on the way I was born? Or that my family hasn't? Think again.

This feels more like high school **** to me, jumping on some bandwagon of the moment.

See the movie, don't see the movie. Make up your own mind, but don't shove a petition in my face to be all outraged at something. And if I say I have no interest in your virtual piece of paper, don't make out like I don't understand that life is tough, it's not fair and that a lot of the time it just plain sucks.

Now excuse me while I go call my husband to see if he was able to get an appointment at the oncologist sometime before the end of the year, to see if he's got lung cancer, emphysema, or both. If I have time after that, I'll worry about whether someone should be legally married, so they can too have a 50% divorce rate.
Screw your movie, screw your spaghetti, screw you. I've got more important things to worry about than some stupid damn petition, and so should you.






That's the trouble with you, Chai...always beating around the bush. Why can't you just say what's on your mind?

0 Replies
 
Lustig Andrei
 
  1  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 03:40 pm
I'll probably "boycott" the film because I have absolutely no interest in seeing it. At least, that was my thinking yesterday. But I might just go see it just to spite the people who'recirculating these petitions. Get a life, folks!
0 Replies
 
Kolyo
 
  2  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 04:02 pm
I hardly ever boycott things for political reasons, but I'm glad these petitions exist so that I can know who the homophobes are.

If anyone's a "bully" here, it's the guy who wants to criminalize a group of people for being born a certain way. Not the people making everyone else aware of the fact.

Will I see it? Not in theatres. I may be bored enough at some point to see it if it shows up at my local video store. Apocalypto and Passion of the Christ were cool, because they were speaking made up languages. From what I gather this film will be entirely in English.
0 Replies
 
Sturgis
 
  3  
Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 04:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
No I will not be boycotting the film. As is my usual, I will be boycotting all the overpriced movie theaters. Personally, while I don't like the fact that Card has these views, they're his and he is perfectly free to express them in the context of an artistic project.

Mame wrote:
Once again, some bully petition to boycott something because of how someone thinks. Are people not allowed to hold their own opinions? Not everyone has to like everyone or everything. What about individual rights?


tsarstepan wrote:

Well considering you and Chai are not likely to be in a given minority where as large vocal groups are spending millions and millions of dollars in order to get your own life and lifestyle made into a permanent crime statute? I can see why you just don't care about what an author like Orson Scott Card does with his personal fortune.

Well as a gay/queer/homosexual man, I am in the group that Mr.Card is said to be against. So be it. He is entitled to his ignorant stand.

Kindly look around tsarstepan, there are people everywhere who are anti-gay, completely out and out homophobic. Many are hiding behind the corporate doors of companies which you likely support. Others are perhaps contributing dollars towards the production, etc. etc. of that Broadway show which you just have to see for the 3rd time. Others are managers of departments and divisions of various companies. Still others are in the mailrooms of big name (and lesser known name) companies and corporations.

Previously you wanted a boycott of Barilla due to the comments made by the man at the top. Well, as I dared to say, I ain't boycotting Barilla. They make a darn good product and as a pasta, it is one of the few I can manage to eat these days.

Spoke with a very vocal gay friend, he isn't boycotting Barilla either, and Heavens to Betsy, we both live in Greenwich Village, land of the Homosexual Revolution.

So, tsarstepan, were any of these protesters...or you, or any other who plans to boycott, wearing Rockport shoes? I sure hope not as they have a man who is decidedly anti-gay.

www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/10/shoe_firm_trod_on_staten_islan.htm
staten_island_advance wrote:
Thomas Tucker kept quiet when his boss allegedly spewed an anti-gay remark on seeing two men kiss in public earlier this year.

Tucker, a Staten Island resident and area manager for Rockport shoes who himself is gay, feared he'd be singled out if his superior knew his sexual orientation.

It turns out those fears were well-founded, Tucker alleges in a federal discrimination lawsuit.

Tucker contends he was subjected to "anti-gay remarks" and unjustly fired two months later after revealing his sexual orientation....
.....
.....
"Plaintiff has suffered as a result of being harassed and discriminated against by his employer on the basis of his sexual orientation, together with creating a hostile work environment, retaliation and unlawful termination," alleges his court filing.

Tucker seeks unspecified monetary damages in the suit, recently filed in Brooklyn federal court against Rockport and his supervisor.

Tucker, his lawyer and Rockport did not immediately respond Monday to requests for comment.

Tucker began working for Rockport in July 2011 as a store manager, said court papers.

Seven months later, he was promoted to area sales manager and oversaw six stores in New York and New Jersey.

In April 2013, he and his direct supervisor, Ronald Guschel, a regional manager, were driving to a store when Guschel pointed to two men smooching on a sidewalk, said court papers.

Tucker has been directly hit by this. Will you and your cronies be boycotting Rockport shoes tsarstepan? I sure hope so or else you are just shouting empty words.
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » So? Will you be boycotting Ender's Game?
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 08/07/2020 at 03:41:34