So? Will you be boycotting Ender's Game?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 05:01 pm
@chai2,
Well, as you say, life is tough all over.

I'm sure all of the gay and transgender people getting assaulted, and even beaten to death, for being a bit different feel your pain because your husband is having tests done.

You're the one who's being high schoolish when you say "my pain is greater than your so your pain doesn't count."

And you're the one being too sensitive, IMO. What's it to you if someone decides to boycott a movie or a pasta brand? Nobody's forcing you boycott. Jesus. If you dislike the boycott, go buy a couple cases of pasta.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 05:04 pm
@Sturgis,
Definitely a thumbs up on that post, Sturgis.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 05:33 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

And you're the one being too sensitive, IMO. What's it to you if someone decides to boycott a movie or a pasta brand? Nobody's forcing you boycott. Jesus. If you dislike the boycott, go buy a couple cases of pasta.

Isn't that what I said?

Am I the one posting links pushing their agenda and dumb ass petitions here?

Go to the movie, don't go to the movie, buy a certain brand or don't, but don't throw your stupid little petitions around. And no I wouldn't go out and buy a case of ******* spaghetti to take a stand against some ******* boycott. I'd buy exactly the amount I want, or watch what movie I want to please me.

Yeah Andy, I don't beat around the bush. Better that then running around with ******* pieces of paper being signed that don't add up to ****, except to make the dumbass signers feel like they're "doing something"

Anyone can, and does go out with some ******* "let's save Menudo Park" or "let's boycott this because it's anti gay, christian, atheist, muslim, dog, cat, whatever."petition

And people like a bunch of sheep line up to sign like it means anything, like it gives them some momentary feeling of being somebody. Look at me, I signed a petition.

Quick! Tell me what I'm supposed to be protesting today! I better go check my facebook!

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 05:43 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

This feels more like high school **** to me, jumping on some bandwagon of the moment.

Because people trying to rectify decades and decades of homophobic and misogynistic public policy and laws is the bandwagon of the moment.

Quote:
And if I say I have no interest in your virtual piece of paper, don't make out like I don't understand that life is tough, it's not fair and that a lot of the time it just plain sucks.
Screw your movie, screw your spaghetti, screw you. I've got more important things to worry about than some stupid damn petition, and so should you.

No one forced you to click either this thread's link or the link to the petition! So **** OFF!
chai2

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 06:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
and I didn't click on either.

Same to you tsar, same to you.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 06:36 pm
Orson who now?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 06:59 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Orson who now?

Orson Welles, I think. It's exactly 75 years ago today that CBS broadcast his version of "War of the Worlds" (by another Welles, some Britisher) and sent the entire East Coast -- especially New Jersey -- into an absolute panic about little green men from Mars landing in Frank Apisa's backyard. I think that's what this is all about.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 07:01 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Nobody did that, though. He posted about a controversy.

chai2 wrote:

Yeah Andy, I don't beat around the bush.

One person's "not beating around the bush" is another person's "acting like a dick." In "not beating around the bush" you went out of your way to whine about some perceived problem with society... just they way you're complaining about Stephen doing. Congratulations, you're exactly the problem you hate.

chai2 wrote:
Anyone can, and does go out with some ******* "let's save Menudo Park" or "let's boycott this because it's anti gay, christian, atheist, muslim, dog, cat, whatever."petition

Except that economic boycotts work, if enough people take part. Economic boycotts work exceptionally well, in fact.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 08:10 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Nobody did that, though. He posted about a controversy.

chai2 wrote:

Yeah Andy, I don't beat around the bush.

One person's "not beating around the bush" is another person's "acting like a dick."
That 's pretty damned vague, DD.
Please tell us more specifically how this dick acts (i.e., what 's rong with it).

David
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 09:19 pm
Wow, what a thread. I won't see this movie because the writer is an obvious jerk. I won't give him my money. Y'all do what you want. What this guy thinks and says doesn't have anything to do with PC. His views are based on fear and harmful. I have a right to point that out. I'm tired of all this too. Times they are a changing.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 09:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Orson Welles, I think. It's exactly 75 years ago today that CBS broadcast his version of "War of the Worlds" (by another Welles, some Britisher) and sent the entire East Coast -- especially New Jersey -- into an absolute panic about little green men from Mars landing in Frank Apisa's backyard. I think that's what this is all about.

I do believe you are right, can't imagine what else all the yammering would be about here.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 09:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Yes, I will boycott Rockport, now that I know. It won't matter to anyone but me.

Good post, btw.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 09:27 pm
@IRFRANK,
Whatever works for you, just glad I was able to get that piece of information out to those what might not be aware.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 10:56 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Except that economic boycotts work,
if enough people take part. Economic boycotts work exceptionally well, in fact.
Use them to terrorize people
such that anyone is afraid to speak his mind.
People feared to speak their minds openly under Stalin, Hitler and Saddam.

I will fight against that in America.
I 'm not anti-gay, but FREEDOM of SPEECH comes FIRST.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 11:04 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

thack45 wrote:

Orson who now?

Orson Welles, I think. It's exactly 75 years ago today that CBS broadcast his version of "War of the Worlds" (by another Welles, some Britisher) and sent the entire East Coast -- especially New Jersey -- into an absolute panic about little green men from Mars landing in Frank Apisa's backyard.
I think that's what this is all about.
Yeah, but I don 't believe the rumor that thay actually succeeded in enslaving his mind; no,
that 's implausible. I just don 't believe it.

David
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 12:11 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
". . . "War of the Worlds" (by another Welles, some Britisher) . . ."

That would be H. G. Wells (1866-1946).

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68285000/jpg/_68285379_3260625.jpg

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/4927/7342867_2.jpg?v=8C9D8866B9B6A30
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 05:54 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

thack45 wrote:

Orson who now?

I got one of their skeletons...and I am willing to part with it for a reasonable sum!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 05:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
Except that economic boycotts work,
if enough people take part. Economic boycotts work exceptionally well, in fact.
Use them to terrorize people
such that anyone is afraid to speak his mind.
People feared to speak their minds openly under Stalin, Hitler and Saddam.

I will fight against that in America.
I 'm not anti-gay, but FREEDOM of SPEECH comes FIRST.

David

There's a rumor out that he plans to use the proceeds from the film to lobby for repeal of the 2nd amendment, David.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 07:32 am
Card is a loon. However, i doubt that i will go see the movie, and it has nothing to do with his fruit loop personal "philosophy." Ender's Game was a short story, a short, short story, excuciatingly dragged out into a short novel. The ideas were not original, the alien species and the fight to destroy them were straight out of Starship Troopers. He just inserted video gaming, and the video gaming he was thinking of was video arcades at the mall. He did not foresee the rise of personal computing, even though IBM PC-XTs were available at that time, and he didn't foresee'PC gaming, nor even the rise of elaborate games on gaming consoles. Certainly one doesn't fault a writer for a lack of prescience--except that that is supposed to be in the domain of the sci-fi writer. A big deal was made of him in the mid-1980s, and even at the time i didn't think it was warranted. I was happy enough to read the novel when it was lent to me by someone else. If i had actually paid money for it, i'd have been pissed.

I can't think there will much to this movie, either. Just as the original was a short story masquerading as a novel, i suspect the motion picture will be a Twilight Zone episode masquerading as a movie.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 08:10 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Mame wrote:

Once again, some bully petition to boycott something because of how someone thinks. Are people not allowed to hold their own opinions? Not everyone has to like everyone or everything. What about individual rights?

Well considering you and Chai are not likely to be in a given minority where as large vocal groups are spending millions and millions of dollars in order to get your own life and lifestyle made into a permanent crime statute? I can see why you just don't care about what an author like Orson Scott Card does with his personal fortune.

I have no idea what you meant by the bolded bits. Permanent crime statute? What? And what is he doing with his own personal fortune?

From what I read in your second link, he's just against same-sex marriage. Why is that wrong? Can't he have his own beliefs?

What the hell, Tsar - are you asking everyone to think the way you do?

Personally, if two people of the same sex want to get married, I don't care. Go ahead. It's no skin off my nose. But I really don't give a ****. I also don't give a **** if a brother and sister decide to get married. Probably not a good idea to have kids, but it's nothing to me, even if it is illegal. Likewise with the whole gay issue - I don't give a ****. And I'm not going to get dragged into their issues.

I am pretty much an anti-authoritarian, so I don't like being told what to do, whether it's by the government or some petty bully group telling me I should be PC (or pro-gay) and boycott a movie or pasta-maker because of the way someone thinks. And I'm not wrong for thinking the way I think. I think people should do what they want, barring injuring others. Notice I said 'injuring' and not 'offending' because I also don't give a **** if someone's offended by what I think -- I can't help their feelings. And I would never offend anyone intentionally (e.g. with a comment) because I just don't care enough to say anything. I believe in Live and Let Live, for the most part.