So? Will you be boycotting Ender's Game?

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 01:37 pm
@rosborne979,
Saw it Sunday night and thought it was "meh."

Special effects were decent, but I think we've about reached the limit of what our eyes can absorb. There's only so much action that my brain can assimilate at any one time.

And I found the "uplifting" ending to be contrived. An Enemy has been telepathically communicating with the protagonist this whole time and nobody caught on? Really? And wreckage in sight of the main base happens to be a secret hideout of the enemy, and a 12-year-old kid can just walk in?

Seriously?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 02:12 pm
@JTT,
Because he's an immoral rapist of at least one underage girl.

How do you know I dutifully submit my taxes to anyone?

Assuming I do, I assure you that I am not happy doing so.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 02:25 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
An Enemy has been telepathically communicating
with the protagonist this whole time and nobody caught on? Really?
Good point! I 'm sure that whenever
an "Enemy" telepathically communicates, YOU
catch on real fast! Absolutely! No doubt! Instantaneously !

David
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:34 pm
@DrewDad,
Have you read the book?
Baldimo

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 05:48 pm
@rosborne979,
I was going to ask the same thing. It sounds like they played a trick with The Game. Finding the Queen?
Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 06:07 pm
@Baldimo,
It sounds like a confused version of the end of the story, which sets up the second novel, Speaker for the Dead.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:01 pm
@Baldimo,
It's impossible for me to assess the movie purely on its own merits because I read the book and am aware of a lot more background in the story than was simply hinted at in the movie.
(possible spoilers ahead)
In case it wasn't made clear in the movie, the Formic Queens had the ability to connect with Ender's thoughts through the game he was playing and through the Ansible connection (which was barely mentioned in the movie). They hinted at this in the movie when Harrison Ford asked the other officer where the images from the game were coming from. And the shape of the destroyed fantasy castle matched the shape of the rock formation on the planet.

The hive queen stayed hidden on that planet and the planet was left untouched in the war because the hive queen was leading Ender there.

There were tiny hints of this in the movie, but without having read the book they might easily have been missed.
JTT

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

There's probably thousands or tens of thousands of US military who have done the same and worse. There are untold numbers of US military right on up to the highest levels and on up further to the presidential level who have ordered things way more heinous that what you are so bothered by.

Why not demand their incarceration?

Quote:

Because you're an honest upstanding conservative citizen. And you know what those taxes are used for - to rape, pillage, steal, spread WMD, bomb into oblivion, torture, ... .

Baldimo

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:16 pm
@rosborne979,
I think I'm going to take my boys to see it this weekend. I have been looking forward to seeing this movie since I was half way through my first read of the book. Knowing Hollywood I don't have high hops, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 08:33 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Have you read the book?

The book kinda sucks. The short story was OK.

It appears to me that he kept tacking bits onto the original story until it got to the point where he could make a series out of it....

Nothing wrong with that, from the sense of "writing is a business." The story suffered, though.

That's the friction between writing/movie making as businesses and writing/movie making as art forms.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 03:23 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
The book kinda sucks. The short story was OK.

Personally, I enjoyed the book a lot. I never read the short story.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 04:51 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

There's probably thousands or tens of thousands of US military who have done the same and worse. There are untold numbers of US military right on up to the highest levels and on up further to the presidential level who have ordered things way more heinous that what you are so bothered by.

Why not demand their incarceration?

I strongly doubt the numbers are anywhere even remotely close to what you've cited, but for the relative few who are guilty as charged...I demand their incarceration!

Because you're an honest upstanding conservative citizen. And you know what those taxes are used for - to rape, pillage, steal, spread WMD, bomb into oblivion, torture, ... .

Unfortunately I don't get to tell the government on which of their projects I want my tax dollars spent.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 04:52 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Me too
JTT

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 08:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I strongly doubt the numbers are anywhere even remotely close to what you've cited, but for the relative few who are guilty as charged...I demand their incarceration!

Quote:
Cumings adds, “Rapes were extremely common. Koreans in the South will still say that that was one of the worst things of the war (was how)many American soldiers were raping Korean women.”

Quote:
The Republic of Nicaragua v. The United States of America[1] was a 1984 case of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in which the ICJ ruled in favor of Nicaragua and against the United States and awarded reparations to Nicaragua. The ICJ held that the U.S. had violated international law by supporting the Contras in their rebellion against the Nicaraguan government and by mining Nicaragua's harbors.

Do you know how many people under Reagan had to have taken part in that, Finn? Reagan and his entire administration, Bush Sr included, took part in that genocide.

Quote:
I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to the children.

This is nobody's propaganda. There have been over 100,000 American witnesses for peace who have gone down there and they have filmed and photographed and witnessed these atrocities immediately after they've happened, and documented 13,000 people killed this way, mostly women and children. These are the activities done by these contras. The contras are the people president Reagan calls `freedom fighters'. He says they're the moral equivalent of our founding fathers. And the whole world gasps at this confession of his family traditions.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Stockwell/StockwellCIA87_2.html

In Indonesia, the US State Department compiled a death list which it gave to the military. The result,

""...in four months,
five times as many
people died in
Indonesia as in
Vietnam in
twelve years."
-- Bertrand Russell, 1966

The following article appeared in the Spartanburg, South Carolina Herald-Journal on May 19, 1990, then in the San Francisco Examiner on May 20, 1990, the Washington Post on May 21, 1990, and the Boston Globe on May 23, 1990. The version below is from the Examiner.
Ex-agents say CIA compiled death lists for Indonesians
After 25 years, Americans speak of their
role in exterminating Communist Party
by Kathy Kadane, States News Service, 1990

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. government played a significant role in one of the worst massacres of the century by supplying the names of thousands of Communist Party leaders to the Indonesian army, which hunted down the leftists and killed them, former U.S. diplomats say.

For the first time, U.S. officials acknowledge that in 1965 they systematically compiled comprehensive lists of Communist operatives, from top echelons down to village cadres. As many as 5,000 names were furnished to the Indonesian army, and the Americans later checked off the names of those who had been killed or captured, according to the U.S. officials.

The killings were part of a massive bloodletting that took an estimated 250,000 lives.

http://www.namebase.org/kadane.html

================

Those are but a tiny sampling of US actions around the world, Finn.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:09 pm
@JTT,
I demanded their incarceration.

What more do you want?
JTT

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 09:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I demanded their incarceration.

What more do you want?

Nothing more, Finn. You're a fine fellow.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 11:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

Me too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game
Quote:
The book originated as the short story "Ender's Game", published in the August 1977 issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact.[1] Elaborating on characters and plot lines depicted in the novel, Card later wrote additional books to form the Ender's Game series. Card released an updated version of Ender's Game in 1991, changing some political facts to accurately reflect the times; most notably, to include the collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War.

The original novelette "Ender's Game" provides a small snapshot of Ender's experiences in Battle School and Command School; the full-length novel encompasses more of Ender's life before, during, and after the war, and also contains some chapters describing the political exploits of his older siblings back on Earth. In a commentary track for the 20th Anniversary audiobook edition of the novel, as well as in the 1991 Author's Definitive Edition, Card stated that Ender's Game was written specifically to establish the character of Ender for his role of the Speaker in Speaker for the Dead, the outline for which he had written before novelizing Ender's Game.[8

BillRM

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 01:36 pm
@DrewDad,
The movie was ok but not great and I had only read the short story many decades ago not the book or books beforehand.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 08:04 am
@tsarstepan,
Didn't know about any of this. Movie was ok. But this kind of thing reminds me of the "Frozen" bruhaha and its' gay subtext. So watching it with an eye for that I think it must be like the 'gay' Teletubby thing - it doesn't exsit except in the imaginations of stupid people.
0 Replies