How do you self-indentify in terms of ideology?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:40 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Then you are a good American. Europeans, in my opinion, tend to a true believer syndrome. Thinking for oneself is an American trait, in my opinion.

You keep telling yourself that. How many Americans thought Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 in the lead up to the Iraq war, despite there being no evidence whatsoever.

That's not thinking for yourself, that's allowing yourself to believe what you're told.
Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:48 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Then you are a good American. Europeans, in my opinion, tend to a true believer syndrome. Thinking for oneself is an American trait, in my opinion.

You keep telling yourself that. How many Americans thought Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 in the lead up to the Iraq war, despite there being no evidence whatsoever.

That's not thinking for yourself, that's allowing yourself to believe what you're told.

The American trait (and also originally British, I read) of rugged individualism, may be watered down today, what with mass media brainwashing many 24/7, in my opinion. We might have thought for ourselves better, in some venues, during Charles Dickens' times?

Notice there are few "eccentrics" today. Once upon a time, this one, or that one, was known to be "eccentric."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 04:12 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
That being the case, it appears to me that Germany still has a tendency to the "true believer" syndrome that Eric Hoffer wrote about in his book by the same title. Once party members believe they are supposed to accept the party platform, then over-zealousness can be effected, with all the accoutrements of parades, and snappy uniforms, in my opinion.
So you think that this can happen only in Germany, and it never would happen in other countries.
Because the party members there do with their party's programs ... what do they, do you think as opposed what is done here, in your opinion?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 04:18 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I prefer the American way of thinking, that gave us individualism, or perhaps, it originated in Hyde Park with the Brits. Notice the Brits let anyone speak in Hyde Park, but no one takes anyone too seriously.
Since I'm neither an UK nor an Irish citizen, I can't be a member of the Labour Party.
But as a Fabian, I do know the Labour Party's program reasonably well.
And similar to Labour members, Fabians contribute their ideas and suggestions to Labour manifestos and programs.

... as it's possible and done in Germany within all democratic parties.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 04:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Foofie wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
You keep telling yourself that. How many Americans thought Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11
in the lead up to the Iraq war, despite there being no evidence whatsoever.

Lemme express my own American vu on Saddam at the time and b4 it.
We knew that Saddam was a very chronic homicidal maniac (since age 10)
with a grudge against us for humiliating him in Kuwait. He was nuts n un-predictable.
We also knew that there were a lot of half-starving Russian nuclear scientists
and engineers right across Saddam 's borderline.

From his oil revenues, I deemed it dangerously too likely that he 'd
work something out with them toward the goal of avenging himself
on us. At the time, I lived in a port city. I considered it too
un-comfortably possible that Saddam 'd arrange to float a little boat
bearing a mini-nuke up toward the harbor and detonate it long b4
Customs 'd even think of inspecting its cargo. I had little enuf desire
to awaken one day like the citizens of Hiroshima. I deemed Saddam
to be an intolerable threat; i.e., we cud not reasonably afford
to take our chances with him. Like a mad dog, we needed to nullify
his threat ASAP, in my NY judgment. I criticized W for taking too damn long.
If he'd been FASTER, we 'd have found the WMDs.

I gotta tell u, Izzy, in the fullness of candor, and infinite sincerity:
I think for myself.

David
izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 05:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Did you think like that when he attacked Iran?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 05:30 pm
@Foofie,
You are extremely ignorant of everything outside your own back yard, so you'd be better off concerning yourself with that.

Get your arse down Broadway and tell us about it.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 08:14 pm
@Foofie,
I dont think so Foofie. About 25% of the U S of A population only believe what they see on their favorite, radio, tv, station and paper no matter how radical it is. I talk to people around here about political beliefs and they spout the radical crap verbatim from their favorite sites. If I try to correct them they attack like most do on this site. If I ask them if they checked this stuff out on their computers themselves I am told it isent necessary because their news sources are reliable. I printed some stuff that contradicted their beliefs from reliable middle of the road sites and they wouldent even condescend to read it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 09:58 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Did you think like that when he attacked Iran?
No. So far as I remember,
I had no objection to his attacking Iran.

I m having trouble remembering whether
he did that b4 or after we chased him out of Kuwait.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 04:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh he did that before Kuwait, that was when he was visited by people like Donald Rumsfeld, and granted freedom of the city of Detroit.

He was the same person then, but treated completely differently by our respective governments.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 06:09 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Oh he did that before Kuwait, that was when he was visited by people like Donald Rumsfeld,
and granted freedom of the city of Detroit.

He was the same person then, but treated completely differently by our respective governments.
He gave us REASON to treat him differently.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 08:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't know about that, he'd used chemical weapons on his own people prior to the invasion of Kuwait, and there was very little in condemnation from the west.

The fact remains he had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11, and was no more of a threat after 9/11 than he was before.
Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 03:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
That being the case, it appears to me that Germany still has a tendency to the "true believer" syndrome that Eric Hoffer wrote about in his book by the same title. Once party members believe they are supposed to accept the party platform, then over-zealousness can be effected, with all the accoutrements of parades, and snappy uniforms, in my opinion.
So you think that this can happen only in Germany, and it never would happen in other countries.
Because the party members there do with their party's programs ... what do they, do you think as opposed what is done here, in your opinion?

In my opinion, which can only be based on the U.S., Americans do not march lock-step, so to speak, with those in power. So, like in the UK, for example, there is a loyal opposition, but not called that in the U.S.

My point is that your explanation of a political party getting all its members to accept a party platform raises the question of whether that reflects a national characteristic of "obedience"?

You do know that after WWII, when the U.S. was trying to understand how the country, with the highest European culture in the 19th and early 20th century, could become a follower of Naziism, there were answers that seem to have be promulgated to the public. One was that the German character of "obeying" superiors. Another was that modern technology just arrived, so it did appear feasible to conquer large areas of land by a comparitively small nation. In other words, so as not to demonize Germany and its people, in my opinion, quite rationale explanations were given. No blond beast, etc.

My mother who lived through most of the 20th century made mention of these explanations of what allowed Germany to wind up in a second great European war. Today, we do not hear these explanations, but back in the late '40's it was told as though certain factors combined in the early '40's to give the world another big war.

Regardless, my point is that a political party in the U.S. has many factions, regardless of whether one faction seems to be driving the party. Americans are still cowboys, thank goodness, to a certain extent.
Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 03:18 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You are extremely ignorant of everything outside your own back yard, so you'd be better off concerning yourself with that.

Get your arse down Broadway and tell us about it.

You are acting superior, in my opinion. How adorable. A superior Brit.
Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 03:19 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I dont think so Foofie. About 25% of the U S of A population only believe what they see on their favorite, radio, tv, station and paper no matter how radical it is. I talk to people around here about political beliefs and they spout the radical crap verbatim from their favorite sites. If I try to correct them they attack like most do on this site. If I ask them if they checked this stuff out on their computers themselves I am told it isent necessary because their news sources are reliable. I printed some stuff that contradicted their beliefs from reliable middle of the road sites and they wouldent even condescend to read it.

Who every said St. Paul had it easy?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 03:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't know about that, he'd used chemical weapons on his own people prior to the invasion of Kuwait, and there was very little in condemnation from the west.

The fact remains he had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11, and was no more of a threat after 9/11 than he was before.

Boychick. It only matters that Senor Hussein se va. You are making the common mistake of thinking that the U.S. is dancing a tango with Europe.

The U.S. has its own partners to dance with.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 03:24 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, which can only be based on the U.S., Americans do not march lock-step, so to speak, with those in power. So, like in the UK, for example, there is a loyal opposition, but not called that in the U.S.
"Loyal opposition" means that the opposition doesn't revolt against their country when they oppose the actions of the sitting government. That, again,might be different in the USA, but here it is thought to be part of democracy.

Foofie wrote:
My point is that your explanation of a political party getting all its members to accept a party platform raises the question of whether that reflects a national characteristic of "obedience"?
I've no idea if such "reflects a national characteristic of "obedience" ". But I don't think that any party in any other country (with the exclusion of the USA, according to your testimony) works different.

(The SPD is Germany's oldest existent political party, established in 1863. It's done since those days - perhaps we should have had really a "fete of 150 years obedience"?)
Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 03:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

...But I don't think that any party in any other country (with the exclusion of the USA, according to your testimony) works different.

Which is a non-sequitur. My point being that I applaud the U.S. for having a diverse set of party platforms for each of the respective constituencies within a main party. That is what makes America, America, in my opinion. God Bless American. Get it?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 03:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

(The SPD is Germany's oldest existent political party, established in 1863. It's done since those days - parhaps really we should have had a "fete of 150 years obedience"?)

You should attempt humor more often. You might have an aptitude for it, based on the above post.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 03:36 pm
@Foofie,
You're making the common mistake of thinking you know what you're talking about. Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11, most Americans thought he did. So much for thinking for yourself. It's something you've yet to master.