How do you self-indentify in terms of ideology?

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 10:15 am
I am an anarcho-syndicalist--although i do believe in beauty contests.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 11:05 am
@ehBeth,
I 'm honored; too honored.

David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 04:23 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I perceive Obama as a conservative.

In a nutshell, Obama is the second coming of Nixon. It's just that in the last 40 years, both American parties have moved so far to the right that Nixon's views are now considered Democratic.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 04:27 pm
@Thomas,
It has long been said that Ronald Reagan himself would be run out of today's tea-party controlled Republican party as a RINO.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
It has long been said that Ronald Reagan himself
would be run out of today's tea-party controlled Republican party as a RINO.
That 's nonsense.
The Tea Party are just good Original Americanism supporters.
I shud join the (Boston) Tea Party. I voted for Reagan in 198O. I wish we had him in office now.

I 'd love to have Dr. Ron Paul instead, except his fanatical pacifism.

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 04:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
That 's nonsense.
I shud join up.

David

They'd welcome you with open arms, David.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 04:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I consider myself a lefto, but I'm not a marxist type, which to me means that I'm middle of the road re the rest of the world.

I think I called myself a progressive here once, but I don't actually know what that word means, so forget it. Liberal is a pablum word to the rest of the world, so I'm not sure what that means as a word either. Let's say Obama is far to the right of me, but I knew that when I voted for him.

I have some elements of libertarian agreement, and the odd bit of conservative in me that shows up blinking from time to time.

So, I'm 5.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 05:01 pm
To put it as briefly as possible, I tend to think like a "Liberal" on most domestic social issues but like a "Conservative" on most foreign policy matters. There are probably hundreds of exceptions here, depending entirely on the specifics of the situation at hand,but -- in a nutshell -- that about covers it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 05:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
That 's nonsense.
I shud join up.

David

They'd welcome you with open arms, David.
Let 's celebrate; its not ofen (enuf) that we agree, Andy.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 05:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I 'd see whether I cud make them any more conservative.

David
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Without any value judgments about any of the possible identities, do you consider yourself:

1)A conservative
2)A liberal
3)A progressive (And if so, please explain the difference from a liberal
4)A moderate
5)Something else (And please try to define that something else)

I also ask that you provide a definition of the identity you have – concise or expanded, it’s up to you. If you don’t care to, that’s fine as well.

I have no intention of arguing with anyone about how they self-identify. I’m just curious.

Boychick, the problem with this thread, in my opinion, is that those who have a political identity can have false premises as to the context of that identity. Meaning, if one is a liberal, it might be in context of believing that the great majority of the population are good people that just didn't get the chance to optimize their "goodness." And, to some degree a conservative might see the majority of the population as potential parasites to society.

So, the problem stems from false beliefs as to what this society/nation is, as far as who owns it, who runs it, and who are its citizens.

So, if I believe I know the score about the country, and the world in general, I'll just say that I am one of the few realists, since political labels mean squat, since after LBJ signed the desegregation act, the solid Democratic South became the solid Republican South. So, labels are fungible, with different definitions, in my opinion.

But, it is interesting how so many citizens do have a need to give themselves a label for self-identification purposes. In my opinion, it is what religions do, to keep themselves in business. Just a type of marketing ploy for both religion and politics.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 03:52 pm
@Foofie,
Well, we choose which ideals we like the best
and then we carry the Flag of those selected principles; yes ?

David
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 04:07 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
But, it is interesting how so many citizens do have a need to give themselves a label for self-identification purposes. In my opinion, it is what religions do, to keep themselves in business. Just a type of marketing ploy for both religion and politics.
It certainly is bedifferent in the USA.

But here, if you want to participate actively in politics, you have to join a political party.
I don't think (and it isn't actually the fact) that you must agree fully on all ideas of this party - but with your membership, you agree with the party's program. And thus you award yourself with a certain label.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 08:45 pm
Quote:

1)A conservative
2)A liberal
4)A moderate

Rethinking my previous post while I think I am more liberal than anything I dont think anyone is purely of one idea with any group. This question is quite silly. Anyone who has only one belief isent thinking for themselves.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:06 pm
I consider myself a flawed conservative.
On some issues I am slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun, and on some issues I am slightly left of Ted Kennedy.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 03:25 pm
@mysteryman,
That sounds a lot like me, mm, except that I've never thought of myself as a Conservative. (That used to be an insulting dirty word back when JFK was president. Laughing)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 12:41 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
That sounds a lot like me, mm, except that I've never thought of myself as a Conservative.
(That used to be an insulting dirty word back when JFK was president. Laughing)
That 's a shocking idea:
that faithfully adhering to the notions of the Authors of the Constitution (as amended by Article 5)
is insulting. Its still supposed to be the Land of the Free
and the Home of the Brave

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
From time to time you show a spark of humor, David (weak, but a spark nonetheless). This, alas, is not one of those times.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
It certainly is bedifferent in the USA.

But here, if you want to participate actively in politics, you have to join a political party.
I don't think (and it isn't actually the fact) that you must agree fully on all ideas of this party - but with your membership, you agree with the party's program. And thus you award yourself with a certain label.

That being the case, it appears to me that Germany still has a tendency to the "true believer" syndrome that Eric Hoffer wrote about in his book by the same title. Once party members believe they are supposed to accept the party platform, then over-zealousness can be effected, with all the accoutrements of parades, and snappy uniforms, in my opinion.

I prefer the American way of thinking, that gave us individualism, or perhaps, it originated in Hyde Park with the Brits. Notice the Brits let anyone speak in Hyde Park, but no one takes anyone too seriously. In my opinion, and that of an author I once read, Europe became over-zealous in two world wars, due to a degree of naive gullibility, when someone talked to them with great emotion and flair. Please don't tell me anyone hypnotized anyone. Some people just like being part of a herd. Only the cattle in westerns are part of the herd. Americans are known to have their own opinions on anything. The political parties in the past that tended towards over-zealous positions (the Know Nothings - anti immigrant) caught the attention of some, but died off, due to people going back to thinking for themselves, in my opinion.

America is not a cheap knock-off (like a counterfeit expensive lady's shoulder bag) of Europe. It might have looked like that due to complexion, once upon a time; however, Americans do think for themselves. Even in religion, there are adamant atheists, and bible believing Evangelicals. In my opinion, Europe seems to follow the crowd, so so many are irreligious today from the old Christian demographic, for example.
Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:28 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Quote:

1)A conservative
2)A liberal
4)A moderate

Rethinking my previous post while I think I am more liberal than anything I dont think anyone is purely of one idea with any group. This question is quite silly. Anyone who has only one belief isent thinking for themselves.

Then you are a good American. Europeans, in my opinion, tend to a true believer syndrome. Thinking for oneself is an American trait, in my opinion.