read in the papers?

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 09:44 pm
Does " I'd read in the papers that boys and girls were coming home.." mean " I'd read in the papers that (the papers described how) boys and girls were coming home..."?

Context:

State Representative John W. Butler , a Tennessee farmer and head of the World Christian Fundamentals Association , lobbied state legislatures to pass anti-evolution laws; he succeeded when the Butler Act was passed in Tennessee.[3] Butler later stated, "I didn't know anything about evolution... I'd read in the papers that boys and girls were coming home from school and telling their fathers and mothers that the Bible was all nonsense." Tennessee governor Austin Peay signed the law to gain support among rural legislators, but believed the law would neither be enforced nor interfere with education in Tennessee schools.[4] William Jennings Bryan thanked Peay enthusiastically for the bill: "The Christian parents of the state owe you a debt of gratitude for saving their children from the poisonous influence of an unproven hypothesis."[5]

More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopes_Trial
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 531 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 11:23 pm
@oristarA,
All it means is that he read in the NEWS papers that that boys and girls were coming home from school and telling their fathers and mothers that the Bible was all nonsense."

I may not be understanding the question.
0 Replies

JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 06:47 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
I'd read in the papers that boys and girls were coming home from school and telling

The newspapers had reported the fact that boys and girls were coming home from school and telling ...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 08:44 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Does " I'd read in the papers that boys and girls were coming home.."
mean " I'd read in the papers that (the papers described how) boys and girls were coming home..."?
No. His assertion addressed WHAT thay were doing,
not HOW thay were coming home (e.g., in taxi cabs, in trains, or riding horses).

David
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 10:00 am
@oristarA,
Of course Ori the responses above are right. But curious: What made you think that the papers might have described how

Were it the case then "that" would have instead have been "how"
0 Replies