Help with a riddle (MNI)

sweetheart90

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:54 pm
I don't think it is going up anytime soon...

I think they should have at least say how long it is going to be, or an approximate time. I keep checking back every hour, I want to know if it is going to be weeks, days, hours, minutes, or seconds. Sad
0 Replies

jrmint618

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
Quote:
Me too actually if I could give you a galleon I would.

Right, and how do we know you are actually Viresse??

Man, I wish MNI was up! What is taking so long?
0 Replies

hermione c granger

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 12:14 am
It'll be back up
0 Replies

madaboutpotter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 12:46 am
Quote:
group email to 34K+ members?

Yes, a blanket email to all suscribers isn't a difficult proceedure.

We are now officially over a week....unless they are moving to a new server and redesigning the whole site, this is insane....and yes, hermione c. granger....they should have some sort of reward....at least give everyone a set number of galleons for missed classes, etc. Some people actually use those to post wizard cards or read fan fiction, neither of which people can do without earning galleons, which can't be done if the site is unreliable.
0 Replies

sweetheart90

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:43 am
I wonder how long it will be down...I also wonder if the Pillar of Storge is really the title...
0 Replies

JamesD

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:45 am
ok this is rediculus. it has been over a week and still nothing other than the home page and ask Snape. it better be good, thats all i can say. tomorow i leave home for a week and there no internet. that means 2 whole weeks thanks to what was, in the first place a day, then 3 days, and now anyones guess.
0 Replies

madaboutpotter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:17 am
the Pillar of Storge is a hoax, I think....there's good proof of this on The Leaky Cauldron.

As far as MNI, they at least owe us a better explanation on the website being down so long....it is apparent that this is more than 'bugs in the forums'
0 Replies

Viresse

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:38 am
Quote:
I think it's very unfair to comb the web for talking about site secrets and punishing people for it.

I didn't purposely look for it, someone else gave me the link.

Quote:
Honestly, there's no way to stop the cheating, it's inevitable. Some people don't like it, and only like hints, while others do want to be flat out told.

Actually there is. (At least on the quizzes) And it would be very unfair of me to tell you what way that is. But believe me when I say don't try to cheat on the quizzes because it won't be working anymore.

Quote:
But don't punish all of MNI because of us cheaters. Because you realize, that everyone is cheating...not just people on this site...

I don't plan to punish those who don't come here, actually they won't know a difference if they haven't seen this thread where as those of you who are here will.

Quote:
I wonder how many people won't come back on there when they reopen because of this? They could have fixed whatever this is a lot faster than this, or added something without closing the site for a whole week...this is a little inconsiderate of the staff.

So then the staff should spend all their lives to fix the site so that it can be up for all the cheaters and complainers of the world. Rolling Eyes Sorry for being rude but you do realize that even the youngest staff member (16) has a real life outside of MNI. Most of us have real life full time real paying jobs. And those that are fixing the forums are them. We don't get payed real money to do this, we do it cuz we like the site. And the staff has been without the site just as long as you have so have a chill pill and remember patience huh? You can't have everything when you want it you know.

Quote:
the site better have some good graphics and about 4 or 5 secrets when we get it back. and it better be back before tuesday cause i leave for a week on Tuesday

I'm sorry and if it's not back???

Quote:
Right, and how do we know you are actually Viresse??

Hahaha good point there really is no way for you to know for sure if I am or not. But if you have ever read any of my posts on MNI then you'd know I guess I talk in the same manner all the time (specially when I'm "yelling") Believe me or not it makes no difference to me
0 Replies

madaboutpotter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:02 am
geez, that post was a little insane, don't you think?....you know, if we didn't like the site and miss it, we wouldn't complain like this....you shouldn't take it the wrong way.

And I am sure everyone on here understands that the staff has full time jobs, and full time lives....you say that like you assume that we do not. Point being; you tell your faithful suscribers three days, and it turns into a week+, you owe them more than 'we apologise for the inconvenience'....maybe some of them might have programming experience and would help out...no one expects you to devote your whole life to the site, but then again, no one expects you to take a week to fix bugs in a forum either when you say three days, and then not give an explanation. No one is 'whining', we are just wondering what the deal is....it doesn't matter if you like this site or not, it doesn't mean that people don't have valid points on here.
0 Replies

JamesD

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:07 am
Hear hear!!
0 Replies

Viresse

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:30 am
Quote:
you owe them more than 'we apologise for the inconvenience'

We owe? Riiiiiiiight sure we do let me start writing individual notes to each member. Is that what you want? I mean what else can we give you excpet we're sorry it took longer than we thought it would? You want gift baskets? How bout next time we have weird bugs that do things that could crash the site or make mugglenet shut us down for good we do nothing cuz it might take a bit longer than we thought it would?

So I'll tell you what, I'll give you "low down" and most likely more then you'll ever get so stop yelling at me I'm just telling you like I see it. When people say things like "it better be back" that sounds a bit like a whining child to me and if it doesn't to you then I guess you haven't been around long enough one day though it will sound like it...

Quote:
I had to work during the day, so this database/code modification went very slow (but steadily). Contrary to popular belief of my nerdy friend, coding 10+ hours a day is not a bliss at all...I need a break after this.

There it is straight from the horse's mouth.

We only have one person doing this fixing up bug coding. And if when you try to fix it that breaks something else it can end up taking longer than at first expected. So "we" said 3 days and it turned into a bit longer tough deal with it.

And as for someone on the site may have programming experience well you may well be right. But do you want to trust some of the people on the site with coding things on a site you love so much? You can see how many people come and do things they shouldn't and end up banned. And on the off chance that one of them can weasel there way into doing the programming for us and screws everything up even worse than it is now? No thanks I'll take the week or even the two months we once had. I like the site just as much as you all do. Heck I've been there since the end of Aug.

Anyways someone had said if I don't want to see it I don't have to come here and they're right. I'll just leave you all in the dark like you were before. Enjoy your cheating and the "correct" answers to my quizzes. [/random rants]
0 Replies

jrmint618

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:43 am
Who is running the site now that Jamie is gone?
0 Replies

madaboutpotter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:45 am
Glad we can all be mature about this......I wasn't aware that I was trying to start a peeing contest here.

No, I do not expect a gift basket....but why not just put up an explanation on the display message, say only one person is debugging the forums and it is taking a lot longer than expected? Why not only close the forums site to debug the forums? Why not try making sense before you rant?

As far as 'owing' us an explanation....yeah, when this many people use a fansite, I do think it is proper for the admin to explain why it will be down longer than expected....it isn't there just for your amusement.....lil power hungry aren't you?
0 Replies

madaboutpotter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:47 am
I was under the impression that kat.delacour was running the site. I know she has help, but I can't remember if it is zapnath or viresse....course I haven't been on the site in over a week, so I can't just go check....
0 Replies

jrmint618

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:50 am
I keep holding my breath everytime I try to visit MNI. It doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I should try a spell. SITEUS OPENUS!!!

I know, I know that wasn't very funny. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

purplehaze

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:08 am
You guys need to chill about this whole thing....

Rock on, Viresse, rock on.......
0 Replies

madaboutpotter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:12 am
to paraphrase Book One..."you got a little something on your nose, by the way, did you know?"
0 Replies

grodd

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:58 am
the apology is suffice Laughing
0 Replies

uhhhimnotcheating

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:58 am
Quote:
Actually there is. (At least on the quizzes) And it would be very unfair of me to tell you what way that is. But believe me when I say don't try to cheat on the quizzes because it won't be working anymore.

Quote:
But don't punish all of MNI because of us cheaters. Because you realize, that everyone is cheating...not just people on this site...

I don't plan to punish those who don't come here, actually they won't know a difference if they haven't seen this thread where as those of you who are here will.
<--don't know if that will work, but whatever

Listen Viresse, I understand what you mean about people working hard on this site and having a life. But you must realize that you are getting into a big tiff about a fansite for Harry Potter...not some government secret site. I just feel that this whole argument about the 'cheating' on this site is pointless. It's a quiz on a fansite! I know you spend countless hours trying to make sure that the quizzes are right, but you do it because you love to...and just because a few are cheating on it (I happened to figure it out myself before I saw that on this site) there's no reason to go crazy!

I didn't mean to make you angry, but as I said, you cannot stop people from cheating.

What are you going to do...put a timer on the quizzes for the people you know are cheating? Or make sure that the answers cannot be googled? Or make it so another window cannot pop up? (Don't answer those, it's my rhetorical rant). I mean seriously...this is crazyness!

And I am very grateful, I know what it feels like to code for a site, as I have made a couple myself...it is not fun. It's just a little disappointing, as MNI is my favorite internet place! :-D

And as for the ones who get banned...can they come back or are their IPs banned too? I wish we could just get rid of the little buggers!

Anyways, have a nice day...I just don't like it when people punish people for what other people have done. And I take full responsibility for my cheating..I know what I'm doing.

...But I'll still never tell you my name on MNI Wink
0 Replies

madaboutpotter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 12:05 pm
Yeah....I guess we all are making a big deal over nothing....it's just nice to know what the hold up is so we at least have something, instead of wondering what the deal is.
0 Replies