NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers Here

DrewDad

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:00 pm
Please add new riddles as replies to this thread.

OK, here's the latest one I've seen (12/31/04):

An Acara traveled from Meridell to Brightvale, 50 miles away, with his pet Pawkeet. When he arrived in Brightvale, he let the pawkeet fly free while he traveled back to Meridell, at a speed of 10 miles per hour. The pawkeet, who flies at 25 miles per hour, arrived at Meridell and promptly turned around until he got to the Acara. Once he got to the Acara, he turned around and returned to Meridell. He continued to fly back and forth between the Acara and Meridell until the Acara reached Meridell.

How many miles total did the Pawkeet travel on this trip?

Answer: 175 miles. (50 miles to Brightvale + 5 hours @ 25 mph while Acara returns to Meridell)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 605 • Views: 2,881,663 • Replies: 15,632

bizarre

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:55 am
I wish I could walk at 10mph for 5 hrs! It would be great!

Of course I also wish I could fly at 25mph, but that would just be silly!!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

helicopter

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:29 pm
The writer of the Lenny Conundrums decided, as a New Year's resolution, to make the Lenny Conundrums a little more challenging, because it seemed like everyone was complaining abut how easy the puzzles were.

His second New Year's resolution was to learn a new hobby. The hobby he chose was structural engineering. So he enrolled in the Brightvale Institute of Technology and Engineering. While studying there, he observed a new building being constructed.

There was a steel beam 50 feet long. The entire Skeith construction crew (total weight: 6000 pounds) was standing at the center of the beam. Assume the modulus of elasticity is 29,000,000 pounds per square inch, the moment of inertia is 850 inches^4, the beam has simple pin connections at either end, and all loads other than the weight of the crew are disregarded.

How much will the beam deflect? Please round to the nearest tenth of an inch.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 12:38 am
You might be better off posting this in the science/math forum.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:14 am
For those of you who might be interested, the formula for calculating deformation is (Deformation)=(P times L)/(A times E) where "P" is the load in pounds, "A" is the cross-sectional area of the member in square inches, "L" is the length of the member in inches and "E" is the Modulus of Elasticity.

As an example, a steel bar which has an area of one square inch and is ten feet long, loaded with 10,000 pounds stretches... (10000)(120)/(1)(29000000) = 0.04138 inches. Shocked
0 Replies

link oh ki

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 11:06 am
Tryagain wrote:
For those of you who might be interested, the formula for calculating deformation is (Deformation)=(P times L)/(A times E) where "P" is the load in pounds, "A" is the cross-sectional area of the member in square inches, "L" is the length of the member in inches and "E" is the Modulus of Elasticity.

As an example, a steel bar which has an area of one square inch and is ten feet long, loaded with 10,000 pounds stretches... (10000)(120)/(1)(29000000) = 0.04138 inches. Shocked

thanks,

i did what you said and i got 2.378092811^-13 is that right?
0 Replies

bizarre

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 11:27 am
What a surprise, despite having this lovely forum to post in, the Neopet questioners couldn't read and posted FIVE riddles of the same thing!!

Can we say LAZY? BLIND? STUPID?

Of course we can't say those things!

(But I can think them Twisted Evil )
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 12:55 pm
Anyone else think that Lenny is having some fun at the expense of his readers?
0 Replies

link oh ki

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:23 pm
Just for those of you who don't know, this is lenny

http://images.neopets.com/games/lennywizard2.gif

lol
0 Replies

MinervaMoon

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:21 pm
If you rounded to the nearest tenth, you'd get a whopping 0.0 in. Or is this some kind of trick . . . ?
0 Replies

theone853

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:16 pm
bizarre wrote:
What a surprise, despite having this lovely forum to post in, the Neopet questioners couldn't read and posted FIVE riddles of the same thing!!

Possibly if you guys quit giving them the answers, cuz it is supposed to be a contest, quite possibly they'd stop filling up the board by asking it over and over again hundreds of times.
0 Replies

sweettiffany

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:49 pm
bizarre wrote:

hmm.. theres no use in gettin upset over it.. Wink im not blind but this is way over my head... need answers....
0 Replies

silken dreamz

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:44 am
its not a trick, and really isnt as hard as you are making it out to be...
0 Replies

silken dreamz

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:50 am
heres the answer, simplified.....

14.9 inches...... enjoy your prizes....
consider it a freebie... next time, figure it out yourself... the rest of us work our butts off to figure the riddles out... we dont get points for cheating...
0 Replies

swampy

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:25 am
ok now yall have had your fun laughing at us... Rolling Eyes ok i worked it but not as you had it....i dont have physics till next semester and my brain is on total meltdown under classes resume on the 18th could you please help me and tell me if i am even in the right direction :wink:

(5/8)*(6000*50^3)/(48*29,000,000)=2.83203125 E 14

dont ask me how i came up with that i really dont know lack of sleep can make you stupid Shocked ....anyways i am asking nicely for some help :wink:
0 Replies

swampy

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:26 am
sorry didnt realize it had been answered... Embarrassed
0 Replies

neomew8530

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 03:44 pm
Which is the answer? I REALLY want this right.
Hi I always need help with te Lenny Conundrums and I always get my anwsers here so I joined and no I can't firgure them out yet but I will because I'm young and under 13.
0 Replies

link oh ki

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
and im only 16!
0 Replies

sweettiffany

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:49 pm
14.9 is that to the nearest tenth of an inch? dumb question probably but we dont work in inches over here and i dont intend on starting.. wouldnt the answer be 15? or is that rounding it to the nearest inch? too much for my pretty brains... heeheehee
0 Replies

freeloader

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:32 pm
Tryagain wrote:

There was a steel beam 50 feet long. The entire Skeith construction crew (total weight: 6000 pounds) was standing at the center of the beam. Assume the modulus of elasticity is 29,000,000 pounds per square inch, the moment of inertia is 850 inches^4, the beam has simple pin connections at either end, and all loads other than the weight of the crew are disregarded.

where does the moment of inertia go into the formula??