Alternative Einstein's riddle answer

cedor

Thu 23 Jan, 2003 08:25 am
Hi everyone,

I found another good answer to Einstein's Riddle but I wanted to have your opinions on its validity.

Basically my answer is correct but different because I interpreted the expression "to the left" in "The green house is to the left of the white house" differently than anyone else.

To me (I'm french and maybe that's why), to the left means anywhere on the left and not only next to the left:

So after 90 minutes of hard struggle without any logical thinking I came to this conclusion that fulfills the hypotheses:

GREEN BLUE WHITE RED YELLOW
NORW GERM SWEDE BRIT DANE
Coffee Water Milk Beer Tea
Pall Mall Prince Blends Bluemas Dunhill
Birds Cats Dogs Horse

Therefore for me the Dane owns the fish in his lovely Yellow house

Comparing the two solutions I suspect that the important thing that confuses people is that they don't think the cats' owner drinks water!!

Let me know if I'm talking rubbish

Cheers

Cedor

jespah

Thu 23 Jan, 2003 09:05 am
It will be helpful if you can post either a link to the original riddle or type it in this topic. Thanks.
0 Replies

cedor

Thu 23 Jan, 2003 09:12 am
You're right about that!! Here's the riddle:

Einstein's Riddle

1. There are 5 houses in 5 different colours. In each house lives a person with a different nationality.
2. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand, and keep a certain pet.
3. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar/cigarette or drink the same beverage.

The question is "Who owns the fish?"

Facts:

The Brit lives in the red house
The Swede keeps dogs as pets
The Dane drinks tea
The green house is to the left of the white house
The green house's owner drinks coffee
The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds
The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill
The man living in the centre house drinks milk
The Norwegian lives in the first house
The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats
The man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill
The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer
The German smokes Prince
The Norwegian lives next to the Blue House
The man who smokes blends has a neighbour who drinks water

Hope that helps!!
omega-man

Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:26 pm
I have found a second solution to einsteins riddle

everyone assumes the houses are in a row... use a little simple lateral thinking and there is no reason why the houses are not in a circel ... like many residential areas... the Norwegien house can still be the "first" if its numbered 1 in the street...and so on

hence the first house where the norwegien lives ALSO is next to the White house that is the last house that makes up the circle of houses

in this configuration you get the same answer that the German has the fish

But you can now switch the dane, tea,horse and blends to the white house and put the swede dog ,beer and bluemasters in the blue house

Has anyone else spotted this alternative ???

Omega-man Cool
jespah

Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:52 pm
Ah, excellent idea, omega-man! :-D And, welcome to Able2Know!
Ewout

Mon 6 Oct, 2003 06:21 am
I think your alternative solution is not correct, because your version of the riddle is not the original one (I guess). Look at this one:

Einstein`s Riddle:
Einstein wrote the following riddle. He said that 98% of the world could not solve it. But several NIEHS scientists were able to solve it, and they said its not all that hard if you pay attention and are very patient. Give it a try:

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage. Other facts:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.
5. The green house`s owner drinks coffee.
6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.

Source: http://www.braingle.com/602.html
golazydude

Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:05 pm
the german has the fish. Maybe you got the wrong version of the riddle. I've asked many ppl, and done it myself. I got a book of einstein and the riddle was in it. They said that the only solution was that the german has fish
0 Replies

SammieDoodle

Thu 20 May, 2004 11:15 am
I got it today, & I sat in school, it took me about 20 minutes & a page of scruffy notes & pictures of houses in a row lol. But I got it!! German has the fish Smile
0 Replies

littlegrec

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:48 pm
well, to me the first solution was also that the german had the fish, but, if you read it again you see that there is nowhere mentioned the fish, so there is a possibility that none of them has the fish, and maybe the german owns another pet..!
what do you think?
jusboutdedonSU

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 02:49 am
@cedor,
hey cedor...theres apparently a couple of beautiful interpretations of the clues which yield alternative results. Im sure we could imagine many more possibilities if we wanted to rework the verbal clues into various nuances, language quirks, logical possibilities, etc. I wonder if anyone would be interested as I am in looking further at the fundamental, rather than the circumstantial nature of this riddle...ie, as fun as it was to take this thing apart, Im wondering what it requires to put one together. there are basically five qualities, restricted to five options. this means 25 bits of data. Im thinking we wouldnt count the houses as a sixth integer because they are just holding places (files) for the qualities. What makes it a riddle is that they (albert?) gives us only 13 designators. If there were 25 designators for 25 bits then it wouldnt be a riddle, it would simply be fill in the blank instructions. Im wondering how fundamental this ratio is, in other words, if we wrote out a similar puzzle (perhaps without the visualizations for fun, just using numbers or letters), would it be possible to use fewer instructions? using more instructions is always possible of course and simply makes the puzzle easier.
"puzzle easier" is the intriguing phrase to analyse...with 25 bits and 13 clues provided, we had to acquire 12 relationships. the difficulty was 13/25. could there be a communication (puzzle) with a higher difficulty ratio? Is there an absolute limit?, etc, etc, . Theres lots of questions to think about here. I wonder if anyone is working on a similar line, of communication/information analysis? its quite intriguing....thanks, john
flamininferno

Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:24 pm
lol this is easy.... here is what i saw in the first 10 minutes of reading the riddle.

ok, if there is 5 houses, 5 diff coulours of houses, 5 cigar/cigg brand, 5 diff pets, 5 nationalities, then all you have to do it make a chart.... having 5 boxes representing houses, and list 1 of everything under 1 house, and do that for all of them. HAHA. easy huh? im 13 btw.
if im wrong please say so... Razz
flamininferno

Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:26 pm
@flamininferno,
woot alerdy gettin thmubs up! i lub u all!
dragonz21

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:00 pm
@flamininferno,
uhm you do know everytime you post it automatically thumbs you up right?
0 Replies

C99

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:49 am
@cedor,
the answer to this riddle is the GERMAN
bergqc

Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:07 pm
@cedor,
So I took that the first house could be on the right, depending on your perspective. Doing this, I got these results. O.o
Green white red blue yellow
germ swede brit dane norw
coffee beer milk tea water
prince blue m. paul m. blends dunhill
fish dogs birds horses cats
Is this legit?
-Connie
oolongteasup

Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:05 am
@bergqc,
yes connie they are the answers

well done
0 Replies

superphoenix1985

Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:46 pm
@cedor,
The eleventh clue says:"The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill". but thats not true in your answer as they both are in the same house. This means your answer is wrong. The only possible answer is and has always been the German.
whiteboyinpg

Sun 16 May, 2010 11:11 am
SPOILER ALERT (I give away the answer at the end of this comment) If you guess and use process of elimination you can definitely figure this riddle out. I'm among the 2% Smile. It helps if you create a chart. The people who say this riddle can't be solved because there is not enough information (I think) is lazy, and just doesn't feel like thinking hard enough. To those people, do you think Einstein would actually create it so that the 2% are the individuals who come to the conclusion that the puzzle is unsolvable? or do you think it's the other way around and the other 98% are the ones who say this puzzle is unsolvable because they can't solve it? Anyway I figured it out within an hour. It was easy until I had to guess which man smokes blue master, and drinks beer. At first I guessed it was the second house, which is the blue house but then the puzzle couldn't be solved. The only other house that could now have a man who smokes blue master and drinks beer is the white house which is the last house. Anyway from there it was a breeze. Eventually you will find out that the German lives in the green house, he drinks coffee, smokes prince, and owns a fish. Also, the rest of the puzzle - The first house - Norwegian, yellow, dunhill, water, cats. The second house - Dane, blue, blends, tea, horse. The third house - Brit, red, pall mall, milk, birds. The solution is the 4th house, and finally the fifth house - Swedish, white, blue master, beer, dogs.
whiteboyinpg

Sun 16 May, 2010 11:20 am
@whiteboyinpg,
Sorry Cedor I meant to post this under the original Einstein's riddle, not the alternative way.
0 Replies

millie-biggie

Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:59 pm
My BFFL and I just spent like 2 hours doing the puzzle... We found that the Dane has the FISH! It is the only plausable answer unless the houses form a complete circle with no street, cars, driveways.... unless the houses faced the outside of the circle - which is a bad and inproper use of space, money and time! It makes much more sense for the houses to be in a straight line. Plus it makes you think more and puzzle harder about the actual answer.