Can you check my english please ? (I am French)

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 04:30 am
Hello, I am french and I have some english homework for tomorrow, Can you correct my English please ?
Thank you !

During the Victorian era, the middle class growth quickly. Moreover, the social divide was very important ( To illustrate this gap, the underworld was characterized by child labour who hardly exist in the ruling class ) so political and social reforms were created to bridge the gap. For example, the Reform Act created in 1832 helped the democracy through the right to vote : it extended the franchise to include those who did not own landed property. Furthermore, concerning the right to vote, many women's activist supported feminism.
British Empire was the foremost global power at this time. Actually, it was the greatest empire the world has ever seen. Personal and material success were very common. The industrial revolution has a major role in this phenomenon : discoveries ( scientific discoveries like Darwin's origin of species, in medicine, in the railway system, in the coal mines... ), rational improvements, cultural and architectural diversity contributed to the growth of the UK. Among cultural progress,
we can mentioned fantasy, gothic, detective, realism, romanticism, symbolism and mysticism as current notions or literary genres. A very famous book was Wuthering Heights written by Emily Brontë in 1847. There were also other writers such as Oscar Wilde with his book the Picture of Dorian Gray.
At this time, Great-Britain depicted wildness, loneliness and individualism. There were also many common beliefs : To British people, someone who knew a material success was someone who had a stable moral life, the underprivileged and the destitute were not educated to belong to the world, predestination and dark powers were real facts ...

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 05:43 am
I'm kind of busy right now, but i will try to get back here later to have a look at your paragraph.
fresco

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 06:19 am
@mariekram,
Here are my grammatical corrections. Setanta may have something to say about the content,
Quote:
Hello, I am French and I have some English homework for tomorrow, Can you correct my English please ?
Thank you !

During the Victorian era, the middle class grew quickly. Moreover, the social divide was very important ( To illustrate this gap, the world of the poor was characterized by child labour which hardly existed in the ruling class ) so political and social reforms were created to bridge the gap. For example, the Reform Act created in 1832 helped (the OMIT) democracy through the right to vote : it extended the franchise to include those who did not own landed property. Furthermore, concerning the right to vote, many women('s OMIT) activists supported feminism.
The British Empire was the foremost global power at this time. Actually, it was the greatest empire the world has ever seen. Personal and material success was very common. The industrial revolution had a major role to play in this phenomenon. Discoveries ( scientific discoveries like Darwin's origin of species, in medicine, in the railway system, in the coal mines... ), rational improvements, cultural and architectural diversity contributed to the growth of the UK. Among indicators of cultural progress, we can mentioned fantasy, gothic, detective, realism, romanticism, symbolism and mysticism as current notions or literary genres. Examples include the famous book "Wuthering Heights" written by Emily Brontë in 1847, and books by Oscar Wilde such as "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
At this time, Great(- NO HYPHEN)Britain was characterized by wildness, loneliness and individualism. There were also many common beliefs such as; to British people, someone who knew (a OMIT) material success was someone who had a stable moral life. The underprivileged and the destitute were not educated in order to belong to the world. Predestination and dark powers were real facts ...
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 06:28 am
@fresco,
That must have taken a lot of time, fresco. As they say in America..... good jaaaaaab.

I shall now stick your thumb up.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 06:30 am
OK, i see you won't need my help. Good luck.
0 Replies

mariekram

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 06:51 am
Thank you very much ! It helps me a lot !
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 10:27 am
This is a little fanciful:

Quote:
predestination and dark powers were real facts

As for writers, you could mention Charles Dickens (once described as "le Victor Hugo anglais" by Jean-Pierre Pernaut on the TF1 JT 13h).
0 Replies

mariekram

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 04:23 pm
@mariekram,
Thank you very much !
0 Replies

Candie

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 04:03 pm
I would just like to point out that Oscar Wilde was not British, but Irish.
fresco

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 12:00 am
@Candie,
Oh ?
The whole of Ireland was part of Britain during Wilde's lifetime, and that he was descended from a Protestant Anglo-Irish family who were involved in the administration of "the British Empire".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 12:04 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

I'm kind of busy right now, ..

You can thank your lucky stars for that, Marie.
0 Replies