The number of quantity

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 11:23 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:
Each one of us has his own faults and shortcomings.

However, those are most of the time limited to a single field or domain in which we still pretend to have some expertise.

It seems obvious to those really knowing said field that others should humble down and be quiet about disciplines they know little about.

You are the first to claim such.

I can see that many A2Kers sometimes offer advice and views that defy simple logic, reasoning and, above all, knowledge.

As they are also good in other fields, I pass on that.

But Dale (and in a less measure OMSig) is the archetype of a shallow character that knows nothing about nothing.

Nonetheless, he still pretends to give advice, which is, in most cases, useless or even dangerous.

I do not intervene in matters of English language, as you seem to suppose I do.

It would be presumptuous as I'm not a native speaker.

On the other hand, I believe my other fields of expertise can be of some help on A2K.

I like helping people, don't you?
That is praise which I reject because I do not deserve it. It was a nice thought, tho.
There are indeed MANY THINGS about which I know nothing; billions of them,
some of them concerning matters right here on this planet.
For u to deny that there is anything whereof I know nothing is laudatory error.

Find someone else for your adoration.

David
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 01:18 am
@JTT,

Quote:
You are, to speak frankly, but with great generosity, simply full of ****, McTag.

I must say I've never noticed the generous side of your personality before. I'm happy for you.
However getting back to the topic, if you think I am wrong, could you indicate how?
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 10:00 am
@McTag,
You're McTag.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 10:02 am
@timur,
Quote:
But Daleā€¦... knows nothing about nothing.
Only that it's not something

Quote:
Nonethelessā€¦...useless or even dangerous.
Useless maybe but dangerous???

Quote:
I like helping people, don't you?
Alas I would if I could
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 10:16 am
@timur,
Quote:
It seems obvious to those really knowing said field that others should humble down and be quiet about disciplines they know little about.

You are the first to claim such.

I've actually encouraged many to post their opinions in a number of fields. Without the English peeves threads, there would still be a whole lot of woefully ignorant people.

I think it would be grand and extremely helpful if large numbers of Americans described the kindness and generosity of their various governments in relation to other peoples and countries of the world.

Quote:
I can see that many A2Kers sometimes offer advice and views that defy simple logic, reasoning and, above all, knowledge.

As they are also good in other fields, I pass on that.

Why should those people get a pass for offering nonsense in any field?

Quote:
I do not intervene in matters of English language, as you seem to suppose I do.

It would be presumptuous as I'm not a native speaker.

I disagree, Timur, with the last part. Unless you have someone write your posts, I'd say that you are eminently qualified to offer opinions on the English language.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 11:47 am
@JTT,

Quote:
You're McTag.

Aha. This from the academic who is fond of accusing others of diversionary tactics.

Your lack of grasp of a basic of the language, your swivelly-eyed evasion and your glaring grammatical error are duly noted.
timur

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 11:49 am
JTT wrote:
Unless you have someone write your posts, I'd say that you are eminently qualified to offer opinions on the English language.

Notwithstanding the feeble knowledge I have of your language, I know enough to write my own posts.

I don't delegate or subcontract them.

However, let me thank you for your opinion, JTT, it's nice receiving such compliments but given my limitations, they are mostly undeserved.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 11:58 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Aha. This from the academic who is fond of accusing others of diversionary tactics.

It seems that you don't like it when someone gives you the McTag runaround.

Quote:
Your lack of grasp of a basic of the language, your use of my patented McTag evasion and your glaring grammatical error are duly noted.

Quote:
Your lack of grasp of a basic of the language, ... and your glaring grammatical error are duly noted.

Point them out and give explanations.

Laughing Laughing
McTag

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 03:11 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Point them out and give explanations.

Already pointed and explained.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:22 pm
@McTag,
You've not explained anything, ever, about your silly little pretensions on language.

Though this is about 'hopefully', it describes you and your kind perfectly.

Quote:
Well, you could argue that the very unreasonableness of the objections to "hopefully" helps make the rule an efficient badge of belonging. No one could simply guess the rule. Somebody who came to "hopefully" armed only with a keen ear for English grammar and style would have no way of knowing that anybody had a problem with it. You can only know about it if you're the sort of person who reads usage guides or who has tea with others who do. It's not enough just to be literate; you have to have pretensions to being one of the literati.

Geoff Nunberg

Your dreams of being one of the literati are not at all matched by your knowledge of the workings of language.

McTag

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 01:02 am
@JTT,

Another "de haut en bas" proclamation as diversionary tactic. Attack is not always the best defence.
As Richard Nixon, and many since him, found out, lying and obfuscation make matters a lot worse. When you're in a hole....

Very Happy Very Happy
JTT

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:41 am
@McTag,
Quote:
lying and obfuscation make matters a lot worse.

Your stock in trade, McTag.
McTag

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 04:44 pm
@JTT,
You are regressing into childhood with this latest piteous offering.
Man up, can't you?
JTT

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:07 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Man up, can't you?

It's unreal that you, the guy who goes to the most devious of ends to avoid admitting your errors, should even have the temerity to bring it up. Especially when you don't know - what's new - what the hell you are talking about.

You are much like OmSig in your knee jerk automaton behavior. Do you have your friends at the tea parties fill you in on all the latest gossip from the usage manuals.

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 02:43 am
@JTT,

The sooner you face up to your problems, the sooner you can begin to address them.
There are plenty of people here who are willing to help.
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 09:30 am
@McTag,
You're avoiding the language issues, AGAIN, McTag. Those little tea parties aren't doing you much good.
McTag

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 09:39 am
@JTT,

Your short-term memory is going, too. This recent exchange started with a "language issue" which YOU failed to address.
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 09:49 am
@McTag,
There was no language issue. As I mentioned, you are as full of **** on this as you have been on most of your offerings on language.
McTag

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 03:45 am
@JTT,

Quote:
There was no language issue.

So you've lost your ability to read, as well as to remember or to reason?
JTT

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 09:39 am
@McTag,
Typical McTag claptrap.

If you think there was a language issue then discuss that issue. I have spent a great deal of time explaining to you [and others] your nonsensical prescriptions, example, 'can/may' but all you do is beat around the bush, run off on ludicrous tangents, just like this one in this post.